All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Don't know what to do
      #312158 - 07/28/07 12:39 PM
KayCee

Reged: 06/16/07

I have had D for the past week and I just don't understand why...it seems to have come out of nowhere. I've been eating the same things as I have been for months. And for this past week I have stuck to foods like dry cereal such as alphabits, rice cakes, plain rice, pasta, angel food cake, things that are all rather easy on the stomach and supposed to help with D, but nothing is happening:( It's really getting me down because I feel sick every day and don't know what else to do about it. I haven't had D like this in a long time. What am I supposed to do? I really want to get back on track, I felt like I was doing so well, and now out of nowhere I'm worse than ever. Please Help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Don't know what to do new
      #312160 - 07/28/07 12:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What fruits have you been eating?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312165 - 07/28/07 01:56 PM
KayCee

Reged: 06/16/07

I eat mostly bananas, canned peaches in water, a handful of grapes after eating a good amount of soluble fiber. I try to get fruits and vegetables in as I can but I am careful with them. For vegetables I eat mostly carrots.

#312288 - 07/30/07 04:13 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I know how you feel--the same thing happens to me (like right now). Very frustrating. Is it possible that something else triggered this attack? The usual suspects for me are hot weather, stress, lack of good sleep, anxiety, anxiety, anxiety, my period.

I've found that if I go too long on the BTC diet I can't seem to form solid BMs. So I try to get a bit of IF foods in after a couple of days - safely, of course. Have you tried taking an Immodium daily as a preventative until you get normalized? This usually does the trick for me.

#312290 - 07/30/07 04:47 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

On my worst days, when I have to stay home from work because of it, oatmeal seems to put me back on track. Bowls and bowls of oatmeal (with brown sugar and banana, maybe) and a dinner of white rice. Very boring, yes, but it gets me "right" for work the next day. I also consume lots of water, with a bit of the acacia fiber mixed in, and have some of that yummy (I really can't stand the taste!) of fennel tea...
I hope your problem subsides soon!!

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#312433 - 08/02/07 12:26 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Is there anything else, aside from food, that could be triggering your D? (Medications? Stress/Anxiety? Hot weather? etc). I was in a similar situation years ago and was eating next to nothing other than rice, and realised I was still getting D because I was on a reflux medication (prevacid) that's primary side effect is diarhea! As soon as I went off it, I felt about 75% better and the rest was down to stress and other things I had to learn to manage.

Have you been tested to see if you have celiac or any intolerances to wheat? What about for bacterial overgrowth? If not, talk to your doctor.

Are you taking anything to help stabilize? Medications? Peppermint capsules or tea?

Good luck, hang in there!

Cheers, Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#312443 - 08/02/07 05:39 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy (no pun intended). But trust me, we've all been there. There are just some days when no matter how "safely" we eat, and stick to the diet, that our bodies are still going to react badly. I think part of it is that it takes time for the body to readjust to the idea of not having the same issues it had before. Put it this way, you're stomach is used to acting in a certain way (aka D and cramping and pain) and its hard to change that. Like the old adage "Old habits die hard." That being said, there could be other things contributing to it. For me, stress is a big one, and what is helping me now is the hypnotherapy program. Also, the weather can be a trigger (it's been hot and humid for the past couple days here -- yuck!). I know its frustrating to try and figure out just what the culprit is, but if you stress about it, it'll get worse -- wonderful viscious cycle of IBS. Try to take it easy for the next couple days, stick with foods that you know are safe and listen to your body. If you think something has changed, you might want to talk to your doctor. Just know that you aren't alone in feeling this way, and that it will pass, it just takes time (unfortunately). I hope you feel better soon and keep us posted!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review