All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about Bentyl
      #31209 - 12/10/03 06:44 PM
bev82

Reged: 08/15/03

Can someone tell about about the medication Bentyl? What is it used for?

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about Bentyl new
      #31237 - 12/10/03 08:13 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

It's an antispasmodic, so it's used to prevent the colon from spasming. I guess it's supposed to regulate it and help prevent IBS attacks. I've been using it for about a month and a half now, and it has helped slightly, but there hasn't been as much of an improvement as I had hoped for. My doctor has me taking it 4 times a day, half an hour before each meal and then again at bedtime. It certainly couldn't hurt to try it if you're interested, but I wouldn't expect a miracle cure. I'm starting to lose my faith in IBS meds.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#31247 - 12/10/03 09:54 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There are lots of different anti-spasmodics out there and some are aimed at different types of muscle. I've found Spasmonal (Alverine Citrate) helps me, but Mebeverine kills me. I think it's just trial and error to see if they can help you.

#31253 - 12/11/03 05:22 AM
bev82

Reged: 08/15/03

Is Bentyl used for Ibs with just d or can you also use it for C also. My doctor gave me some Bentyl to try when I had D but I am back to just C so I don't know if it will work for me.

Bev

#31275 - 12/11/03 08:18 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I have C, and that's what my doctor gave me. I'm pretty sure it works for both, because both D and C can benefit from regulating the colon.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#31481 - 12/11/03 05:30 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I used it off and on for years and don't think it was any kind of miracle cure. The side affects would sometimes bother me and maybe that's why it was hard to take consistently (very tired and a I would feel a little like I had a drink or something - kinda tipsy!).

#31488 - 12/11/03 06:25 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've taken it now for about 5 months, but only when I need it. (read, going out to eat or eating a fairly good sized meal at home) From what I understand one of the down sides of it is that it can create more "C" so not the best for we "C" folks, but as an antispasmotic it works for me. I take 20mg. usually, but keep it in the 10mg. form. I'm told by the gastro you can take up to 80mg. a day. I tried Donnatol and Librax first. The Donnatol worked but took some getting used to over time, I guess because of the phenobarb in it. The Librax made me spacey. The Bentyl gives me no goofy side affects and I can function normally.
I TRY never to take more than 40mg. a day, and at night, I find a nice herbal relaxer, like valerian in tea or cap form, works just as well if not better.

Kandee

--------------------

#31507 - 12/11/03 10:07 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi everyone,
I've been on bentyl on and off for a few years. I have IBS C and my main problem is gas in the intestines. (ICK!).
I'm on 10mgs. My doc says I can take one or two 4 times aday. It works for me pretty well. I take it 20 minutes before some of my meals. It helps me tollerate some of my trigger foods.
I do experience dry mouth and tiredness from it. But I try to drink plenty of water and herbal tea to compensate. I also take soluable fiber supps.
Good Luck

Cloudygirl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2061

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review