All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to this - not sure if I believe my Drs yet
      #311592 - 07/19/07 02:30 PM
Country Mom

Reged: 07/13/07
Loc: Nunda, South Dakota

Hello - I have been struggling with what my Drs have deemed IBS for 2 years now. I just found this web site a couple of weeks ago and ordered Heather's books. I am reading through them yet. But as I scroll through and read the messages and conversations posted here, I feel maybe a little out of place. All the pain and awful bouts of IBS you all have described just don't fit with what I experience at all. It started out that way two years ago, but I don't have daily attacks - I have occasional times when I feel not so good, usually after a spell in the bathroom and it takes me a week or so to get back on my feet, but I rarely have pain as bad as being described here. I don't even think I have a trigger food. I have never experienced a time when I have eaten something that sent me to the bathroom in a hurry. I usually won't have any after effects until the next morning. That's what's so frustrating - I can eat all day long with no issues and then the next day, if it's a bad day, sit in the bathroom trying to figure what I did! I go between having both C & D, never any consistancy whatsoever. I am so sick of feeling like crap at the drop of a hat - with no warning at all. I can never tell when I will feel that way because it is not every day, never consistant with foods even. I've been thinking about just going with Heather's diet plan anyway because it sounds healthy enough that it won't hurt me any even if I didn't have IBS. I have given up on going to the DRs about this because they don't seem to want to help me figure it out anymore -they've decided it is IBS and that's it. They say "good luck". Even the gastroentologist was not much help - 2 visits for $500 with 15 minutes of his time at each - can't keep that up. Thanks for letting me vent! I'd be interested in anyone's opinion. I've never met anyone with IBS, so I don't know if that's even what I have. Is there such a thing as a mild case?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You are in the right place - welcome new
      #311594 - 07/19/07 02:40 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The spectrum of IBS suffers is very broad. It ranges from those who have never sought professional advice but were discovered during the course of doing IBS research to those who have been taken to the ER following a severe attack.

You are fortunate that you have a mild case. It is quite possible that you can control your IBS more easily than many by managing your diet. Heather's diet is a good place to begin.

Welcome!

Did your doctor do tests such as a colonoscopy before giving you his diagnosis.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: You are in the right place - welcome new
      #311595 - 07/19/07 02:47 PM
Country Mom

Yes - I have had the battery of tests. Colonoscopy, blood work of all kinds, stool samples examined. They checked for Colitis, Gluten intolerance, diabetes, thyroid problems, I have even had a CT scan from my chest down and X-rays of my gut while drinking the yucky white stuff. We've even checked for cancers. Nothing. According to the tests, I should be as healthy as a horse, except for the fact that when I came down with this I lost 40 lbs in 1 1/2 months and couldn't eat I was so nauseous. Now I am only nauseous when I have a flare up. How do I figure out what to do so I don't have any flare ups? I miss work on those days, mostly because I feel so ghastly, but I don't spend all day in the bathroom. I am always so tired - I can sleep all day and not have it affect my night sleep when I get like this. I guess I should thank my "lucky" stars it's not worse, but I have a hard time with this because I was never like this before, why should I be now? You know?

#311597 - 07/19/07 02:59 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

Unfortuntately, IBS can be progressive. It can get worse overtime, and it sounds like yours has. I am a C and I also cannot identify specific triggers for me. I have been on this diet for eight months and I do feel better although I still have bouts of C and pain. I think you will feel better once you start this diet. It really makes a difference. There are several people on this site who are alternating in their symptoms. You may want to read some of their previous posts.

Feel better soon!

Re: New to this - not sure if I believe my Drs yet new
      #311630 - 07/20/07 06:07 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello...and welcome!

You've come to the right place. We all have lots of differences in our IBS, but we all have LOTS in common too. I get lots of pain the day after I have strayed off Heather's diet. I think you will find the info here very helpful.

MeiMei

#311813 - 07/23/07 05:07 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hey Country Mom, you and I are in the same boat as far as "symptons" go. I don't have trigger foods either, and some things that may make me sick won't make me sick at other times. Because of this, I don't know when or what to eat. I'm so out of whack that if I do eat, my body is like "what the hell is this?!" and so I get sicky. I told my coworkers that I'm like a non-bulimic bulimic, if that makes any kind of sense at all. I've also had a run of tests and like you, healthy healthy healthy. In a way I was kind of hoping the GI Doc would find something so that we would at least have something to work with. My endoscopy revealed lacerations in my stomach and so I have Acid Reflux which only explained the heartburn I was feeling.

I'm super hopeful with the items I've ordered and with everyone else's experiences and answers. I only eat normal sized meals on days when I know I don't have to work the next day. Otherwise, I'm nibbling on crackers all day which is not good either.

Hopefully, we'll get our answers from the wonderful people on this board and through Heather's products. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Wendy

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#311832 - 07/24/07 09:38 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I feel you are at the right place. I do not have the pain that you read about on this site either. Ocassionally if I get bad enough I will get some pain but not severe or doubling over kind of pain that is talked about. Heather's diet does work. I have not had to really cut out dairy products and go to soy. For me, just staying away from fried foods, high fat foods, caffeine (pop and coffee) and heavy meals I make it through ok. I guess some would say that I have a mild case of IBS - C with ocassional D (which is just breakthrough D) It is when I get too comfortable with my diet and eat what I want whenever I want I get into big trouble over time. My problems do not arise immediately but always a day or two later like you. I personally would just cut out the high fat, greasy food first and see if things go better and if not, then cut something else out like the dairy.... I have not found that eating the soluble fiber first (like rice) then eating a salad has made a different for me, but like I said above just cutting out the really unhealthy stuff out has made a difference for me. Heather's diet is a very healthy way live ---- Good luck!

#312014 - 07/26/07 08:51 AM
Country Mom

Wendy - thanks for the encouragment! It's nice to know I am not alone in this. I was beginning to feel as though I was making myself sick since they can't really find anything better to call it and I don't have the traditional symptoms everyone else seems to have. I have been eating a lot of basic foods and have been okay for awhile now. I don't eat vegetables much cuz I'm afraid to, but with Heather's cookbook, I think I can find some stuff that will be good for me. I'll let you know if I find some good things that I really like. If you like oatmeal, I do like the Maple and Brown Sugar flavors and it always seems to go down okay for me, even when I'm feeling icky.

#312047 - 07/26/07 02:22 PM
BendeeWendee

Maple and Brown sugar oatmeal is my favorite but I won't eat it, or much of anything else for that matter, if I'm still in queasy mode. When I'm not in queasy mode, I'll eat about 4 spoonfuls and that's it 'cause I get scared to finish it off. I can't wait to get Heather's cookbook.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#312048 - 07/26/07 02:53 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Every morning I have Brown's Rice Cream cereal for breakfast. I add cinnamon and sugar. It always helps my tummy settle in the morning and tastes great. I've found it at Wegman's and Whole Foods.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#312093 - 07/27/07 09:09 AM
Country Mom

When I was in the queasy mode I ate mostly plain rice, applesauce and plain toast. I know exactly how you feel. Only a couple of bites and you just know you can't eat anymore. Hang in there, it will eventually go away. I ended up losing almost 40 pounds in the process. That's why the Drs kept running tests. I took a prescription form of Immodium to slow down the D daily and was on the BRAT diet for a month. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. Another thing that helped was Jello - in the little cups at the store - you can get a bunch of different flavors made up and ready to eat. Sometimes that was all I could stomach. This was all before I found this website and didn't know what to do. I still don't know what to do as I've graduated to another form of feeling like crap, but with Heather's books, I'll learn. Chammomile (sp?) does work.

#312099 - 07/27/07 10:07 AM
BendeeWendee

I hear ya. I've lost about 20lbs myself and people who don't know what I'm going through get an "I've been dieting" answer when they ask questions. Truth is that I was dieting before this mess came about.

The thing with me is that I have to get my stomach lining repaired before I can fully enjoy Heather's recipes. I have Acid Reflux and so I have to avoid certain foods for about a month 'til I finish my stomach lining repair medication. If I have to eat foods that may cause heartburn, I'll just have to pop a couple of TUMs and call it a day.

Great news! I've just received my supplies from Heather and I'll be picking them up from the post office today after work! I can't wait to start!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review