All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Benefiber?
      #311582 - 07/19/07 11:19 AM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

I have been taking Citrucel supplements (pill form). I take 2 in the morning before breakfast and 2 in the evening before dinner. It doesn't make things perfect for me but it works better for me than Metamucil.

Well, I just saw a GI for the first time and she doesn't listen very well and rushes through things, but I was referred to her by a doctor that I trust. Anyway, this GI told me to stop Citrucel b/c it can cause excess gas and take 1 tbsp of Benefiber daily. I started doing this, but so far I am just constipated and I am wondering if I should just switch back to the Citrucel since it was working okay for me. I am confused. Does anyone have experience with Benefiber power? If so, do you like it? I could use some guidance because my GI doesn't seem to list and is stuck on me taking either Benefiber or Fibersure instead of Citrucel.

Not to mention, I think Benefiber is going to cost me more money because I think I will go through the powder quicker than I will the pills. Any thoughts on that too?

THANKS!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Benefiber? new
      #311583 - 07/19/07 11:37 AM
Taryn Jodi

p.s. I thought it might also be important to share that I am an IBS-A, who experiences more constipation than diarrhea, and has LOTS of bloating and gas. Knowing this, what is a better option: Benefiber powder or Citrucel pills? I also like the convenience of the pill. As you can see, I really need some help here. I don't have a trusting relationship with my GI yet since she is new to me (and frankly, she rushes through the appointments so I don't know if I will have a chance to form a trusting relationship with her) so if I could hear some experiences with these products I'd really appreciate it.

Also, Benefiber is made of Wheat Dextrin... is this bad for IBS? Wheat tends to bloat me up and constipate me.

#311587 - 07/19/07 12:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Benefiber as you say is made from wheat dextrin. SFS made from wheat dectrin have been shown to produce less intestinal gas that other SF. Although starch for producing dextrin is extracted from wheat it could just of easily have been extracted from corn, potatoes or barley. And wheat dextrin in Benefiber is known to be okay for people with celiac disease.

Personally, I would give the Benefiber a try and see how it works for you. I had hoped that formulation of Benefiber available in Canada would be made from wheat dextrin - unfortunately it now made from inulin which is known to produce intestinal gas.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#311588 - 07/19/07 01:18 PM
Taryn Jodi

thanks for the advice - i appreciate it. i guess i will give benefiber a try for a few weeks and see if i notice a difference. if i do no better on benefiber than i did with citrucel i may switch back. it seems more convenient for me to to the pills.

thanks again!

#311590 - 07/19/07 02:01 PM
Syl

Benefiber comes in a chewable tablet. Unfortunately it contains sorbitol

Tell us how you find the Benefiber

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#311598 - 07/19/07 03:02 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I am a C and I use benefiber daily for my SF. I don't find it to be binding for me too bad, but I make sure to eat plenty of IF with each meal. Benefiber also comes in a tablet that is safe for IBS. My grocery store carries the tablet form and I use it when I travel.

Good luck!

#311605 - 07/19/07 04:04 PM
Syl

Doesn't the tablet form contain sorbitol which may be problematic for some IBSers?

--------------------

#311638 - 07/20/07 08:49 AM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

The ingredients are: wheat dextrin, microcrystalline celluolose, magnesium stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide. It is gluten free. There is no sorbitol. Sorbitol kills me so I very careful to not take anything that has it in it.

#311639 - 07/20/07 08:53 AM
Syl

Thank you for the info. It must be a relatively new product. It would be nice if that product was available in Canada but unfortunately the Benefiber here uses inulin instead of wheat dextrin.

--------------------

#311645 - 07/20/07 09:58 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If it contains wheat dextrin, how can it be gluten free?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#311651 - 07/20/07 10:34 AM
Syl

Wheat dextrin is made by extracting starch from the wheat and then converting it to dextrin. The starch from wheat does not contain gluten . The protein in wheat contains gluten. Therefore Benefiber is gluten free

--------------------

#311711 - 07/21/07 08:23 AM
Taryn Jodi

I read that the chewable tablets contain the sorbitol.

#311712 - 07/21/07 08:25 AM
Taryn Jodi

I found the Benefiber caplets last night!! I am happy about that because I find the powders annoying for me personally because it's less convenient for me. Hopefully the caplets will work. Is it true that Benefiber is better than Citrucel because it won't cause bloating/gas? That is why I am making the switch so I hope it's worth it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review