All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Going on Vacation anxiety - only you all can relate
      #311256 - 07/15/07 04:53 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

Hi! I haven't posted in a while. Been following Heather's diet for the most part so have been feeling pretty well (except when I lose my will power and cheat and have an attack - but what do I expect, right!). Anyways. My hubby, my mom, dad and I are going on a very exciting trip. We leave on Wednesday. I live in Orlando, FL so we have to drive the 2-3 hours it takes to get to FT. Lauderdale to catch a cruise ship to the Bahamas. My hubby and I have been planning this trip FOREVER so I'm really excited. Here are my issues: the car ride to Ft. Laud. I'm anxious that I'm going to get a stomach ache (just from the nerves of not being near a bathroom!). I know I shouldn't worry bc I have an angel of a husband who will stop at a rest stop or off ramp or anywhere if I need to. I'm anxious about ruining everyone's time. I'm also anxious about getting to the ship. The ship departs at 7:00 am so we have to be at the port before 6:00 am. My tummy (and I) HATE early mornings. What if I'm ill waiting for the ship and there's no bathroom? Also - we're taking a day cruise so we stay on the island in a resort where they are known for their cuisine. I can't eat any of it for fear of ruining my time. I don't want to seem like a whiner but how often have I run into the problem of their not being something for me to eat at a restaurant!? I've talked to my DH and my mom about my feelings and they try so hard but they have no clue what it's like to be so anxious. I will probably take a Xanax for the car ride to ease that anxiety but I don't want to be doped up on Xanax for a week. Any suggestions and/or vacation success stories to help me ease a little of this anxiety. I'm a little PO'd bc I'm supposed to be excited NOT anxiuos. Thanks all!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going on Vacation anxiety - only you all can relate bump nt new
      #311268 - 07/15/07 09:25 PM
wendyc

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Re: Going on Vacation anxiety - only you all can relate new
      #311270 - 07/15/07 09:53 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I recently went on vacation and I actually did really well! Keep on following the IBS diet the best you can and don't go too long wihtout eating. Take some safe soluble fiber foods with you on the drive to keep your GI tract stable and if you can, take along some hot peppermint tea to help with your stomach pain (or pick some up at Starbucks, so you can dispose of the container). You might have to pee, but the hot tea will really help with those spasms. I would even suggest being extra strict with the diet starting tomorrow, so that you at least know you won't have a bad attack on the drive. If you're a D, I'd take half a dose on the day of the drive if you're really nervous and your gut is grumbling.

I also take an anti-anxiety med, which I would take before bed during my trip in order to make sure I got a good night's sleep. A lack of sleep really aggravates my symptoms and the anti-anxiety med can actually have an anti-spasmodic effect, which relieves some of your gut pain. I'd wake up a little groggy in the morning, but well rested and relaxed. Don't be afraid to use the Xanax if you're feeling really panicky -- try half a dose if you don't want to feel doped up. If you need it, you need -- no use trying to "tough it out" and then feel miserable and making everyone else around worry about you. At least use it on the car ride -- once you survive that part of the trip, you'll probably feel a lot more confident about the rest of the trip! Anyway, your trip sounds fabulous! I'm sending you positive thoughts!

#311277 - 07/16/07 02:30 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Hi. I just went away for a week. A few things and I'm still learning but working on coping mechanisms with fear and anxiety are very important. These issues will only make your ibs worse in my eyes.So deep breathing,maybe relaxation tape,yoga,self talk. I agree about meds that can help. I think changing though very hard your mindset towards this trip. If you enter it with a negative mindset things may turn out that way. It may be some trial and error and I know that can cause mental and physical pain. It doesn't mean the whole time is ruined.On the note of diet maybe bring some snacks. Also on cruises there is a huge variety of food and you will be able to find or ask them to make you something special. Try to relax and focus on the positive. I know how hard this is and am not trying to make it sound easy but positive thinking can help. Take care

#311286 - 07/16/07 06:47 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I understand your anxiety! In a few weeks I'm going on a three day backpacking trip in the mountains. Along the way, I think there are two spots with porta-potties, but for the rest there is nothing. That's the bad part, the good part is that you're expected to go in the woods, lol!

The other part I've been worrying and planning about is all the food I'm going to have to bring with me. I'll need to bring enough backpacking food for three days and I have to carry it all with me. I better make sure I pick safe stuff or I'll be stuck with it.

One thing I always do when I go on vacation is bring along my Acacia and a water bottle. I put some Acacia in the water bottle and shake it up with water so I can sip on it all day (actually I do that at home too ).

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#311300 - 07/16/07 10:49 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Hey Wendy, I am going on a cruise next month and have the same fears as you do. Especially, when I did the math and realized this was the week before my period which is the time that I usually have the worst attacks. That being said I have decided that I will take my soothing music, blanket, and some safe food for the 8 hour drive to Tampa. I went to the doctor for a prescription refill Friday and asked him to give me a prescription of Liberax for my vacation. He agreed and told me that it was actually a good idea since the Librax has an anti anxiety and an anti spasmodic so I would be able to keep both of them in system on a fairly level basis. I do feel that I might be cheated since everyone raves about the food on the cruise, but you know I'm sure there are things we can eat and I have heard that everyone will bend over backwards to make sure that you are happy. I know I am going to request that heavy sauces be left off my veggies and stick to fish and chicken dinner. Lots of fruit and breads on the buffet so we should be able to find something safe. Just relax since stress can make our tummies so much more sensative. I knwo that we will have fun and if we have to make a few adjustments, oh well, just do it and move on. I sometimes think that we worry more about adjustments than others. I know my hubby has a bladder the size of a teacup and stops every hour to use the bathroom. I put up with it so what if I have to excuse myself after dinner to go to the bathroom.

#311306 - 07/16/07 12:07 PM
wendyc

Thanks for all the good advice and positive thoughts. I will keep a positive frame of mind and just assume I won't get sick (that actually worked on my wedding day). Drink Pepp tea during the car ride and snack on some safe stuff. If I have to stop - we stop, simple. Good luck ElisaDragon with your backpacking trip.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#311350 - 07/16/07 05:44 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I always travel with peppermint tea bags. The single serving rice milk boxes are good to take too, as you don't have to refrigerate them if they are unopened. I've found on cruises that they are very flexible with the food, and if you have the same server every time, he/she will bend over backwards to learn your eating preferences and needs, so speak up.

This sounds like an exciting trip and I hope you have a great time!

#311371 - 07/17/07 07:32 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I successfully went on a cruise in February. I contacted the cruise line ahead of time and said that I had a "dairy allergy" and they were WONDERFUL about always making sure I had a safe meal to eat. I also took quite a bit of food with me: an entire loaf of cinnamon zucchini bread (i had a slice first thing every morning), snack mix, crackers, etc. I also got up at the same time every morning and EXERCISED! That was huge for me. You will surely have a coffee pot in your room, so take lots and lots of tea bags so you can brew your own tea whenever you want.

Any chance of driving to Ft. Lauderdale the day before and staying in a hotel? That's what I would do!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review