All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants that would like to share... new
      #311667 - 07/20/07 01:48 PM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Also what I noticed in the program that I was in with people on these meds and for myself is it takes awhile to adjust or see benefits. Also usually it may take getting to a higher dose or a combo. Like my cymbalta was just increased and added doxepin. On a side note could you ask about a seperate med for sleep and then one for the pain? I understand your frustration cause I feel the same and have a very hard time with meds. Hang in there and I will try to check back more to see if you have any ?'s though not an expert.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants *caprice* new
      #311683 - 07/20/07 05:43 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks for the response caprice. Are you using the doxepin for sleep or pain? I was told once my sleep depravation is better my pain will be, I'm a week with these pills and still not sleeping, but feel horrible the next day, feel like a zombie and like I could sleep, but can't, usually don't for fear that I won't sleep the little bit I do at night. I'm watching the weight thing, just to see, I read that it increases your appetite, so the weight gain would be from me eating more, not the pill (like water weight). I've seen the commercials for the cymbalta and it sounds a lot like me, is it working? Do you work? I ask only because I wonder how people take these medications and work. I will continue the meds as long as I don't loose my job...

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#311684 - 07/20/07 05:44 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks AmandaM for the well wishes. I will still with the meds. I also read that it is constipating, that is good since I'm IBS D, however, I don't want to become IBS C....I wonder if I should increase my Acacia?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#311697 - 07/21/07 12:32 AM
caprice

Well my pain was to the point I can't work now and why the rehab though my pain was too intense for that. If I don't make huge progress on my own I may need to get a tunneled epidural catheder which puts the meds in so that I can do aggressive rehabilitation. The doxepin is for both pain and sleep. What is your pain from? Have you ever tried trazedone? When I was on that it worked the best for my sleep but went off and now just working with the meds I need for the nerve relief assistance. I would call your doc and express your trouble. Have you tried other meds like neurontin or lyrica those are well known too but it depends on our pain. Maybe you need an increase on elavil but of course ask your doc. As for the weight you need to be healthy for the body to absorb. I had to gain a lot and this was through a lot of sick and pain but you need to think of it as medicine. I truly believe its a combo not just one thing that works. A nutritionist can help cause when I was on weight gain I ate over 4000 yes that is right. Take care.

#311722 - 07/21/07 02:34 PM
LtDanFan

caprice,
my pain is in my upper back, it gets so severe at times Ihave difficulty breathing. It burns and gets numb and tingly also. I also have numbness and pain that radiates down my left arm into my thumb and pointer finger. I have had the back pain since about October of last year, and have had every test imaginable except and MRI of the brain to see what it is. Like today, my son was moving and I helped, now I'm in one heck of a pickle, hurting like to get out!! This is the first medication I have tried for sleep/or pain. Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil none worked. Aleve give me more Diarrhea. I don't like to take pain meds. My husband tried the Lyrica for his MS, he said it made his brain feel fuzzy....stopped it and he now take Zanaflex. Anyway, I am now 1 week with the meds, I don't have a day off until Tuesday, so I will have to call him then. Thanks

--------------------

#311781 - 07/23/07 10:23 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I like meds that tend to make me C as well since I am a D. However, my body simply cannot tolerate fiber supplements no matter how slowly I try to increase or how small a dose I start with. I cramp horribly and get awful D.

However, I think it's safe to say that if you notice feeling C from the AD, either incorporate more IF into your diet or increase your fiber dosage slowly and be sure to drink lots of water. It will hopefully offset the C symptoms from the ADs.

#312135 - 07/28/07 04:26 AM
caprice

Hi just checking in. I'm sure then you had an emg. Also I know when my emg didn't show they ordered and ssep which is when emg don't show as much and then I did get more results on dx. Also with that test it was a few months later and my emg showed more. I had the mri of my brain and you may want to just to rule it out. What types of docs have you seen? I know for my pain over the counter don't work well even vicadin didn't for me. I know I don't like those kinds of meds cause they do cause other issues. I know many have had good results with tramadol for pain relief. Did you talk to your doc about the meds? It sounds like and am no doc but you have some type of neuropathy too. I know the biggest med which I tried is neurontin for that. Lyrica did similar to me as for your husband. I do know starting at a lower dose and working up is better which some docs don't do. As for the c issue but yours is d but the other poster. I have c and cymbalta causes that but I would rather be c then in pain. They started me on stool softners which I stopped recently cause I felt so nausea on them but may work for some. Hang in there

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7869

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review