All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: LtDanFan! I had the same sleep problems! new
      #311272 - 07/15/07 10:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Actually, the floating mini-movies stopped once I started the medications. It also stopped me from waking up in the middle of the night in a panic. Elavil has really improved my quality of sleep.

When I can't sleep, I take my usual Elavil dose and then, maybe, .5 mg of Ativan/lorazepam. It's very rare to have nights like that, where I can't get to sleep, since I started the Elavil so I feel safe taking both once in a while.

I don't mind discussing most things on the board! It's great to find other people here who understand what you're going through, isn't it? It's also great to learn how people cope with those issues. I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding IBS -- it's easier for them to blame it on one's personality or something, rather than try to understand what a functional bowel disorder is and how it affects your life. My dentist gave me some really good advice: "Drop the negative people from your life." I have done that, but I've also had to set up rules for people I can't cut out of my life (family) by letting them know that I'm NOT WILLING to listen to their "imaginary" expertise or well-intentioned advice. Support isn't someone telling you how to fix yourself, support is someone listening and trying to understand, caring bout you and not judging you for something you can't help. I've gone as far as inviting family members who didn't understand my IBS-D issues to join me in the bathroom when I had an attack. They didn't accept the invitation and they kept their mouths shut after that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants Maria!!Maria!!... new
      #311278 - 07/16/07 02:39 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Hi I just came back from cleveland clinic at there pain center. I go back to anesteseogist on Thurs. Anyhow I have perphieral neuropathy and ibs is seperate. Anyhow I was on Neurontin,lyrica,elavil and now cymbalta. I think it takes a lot of trial and error and sometimes getting up to a huge dose for pain relief. Also a combo sometimes. In the program I was in many had great sucess but it takes time and dealing with many side effects depending on the person. I didn't read through all the replies but if I can help in any way please feel free.

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants Maria!!Maria!!... new
      #311284 - 07/16/07 06:42 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Now that you mention it, I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe the mini movies. I have had that happen to me before, where you're in bed asleep, but you think you actually get up and do normal things. It must have happened to me when I was on the Elavil, because I don't think it has happened in a while.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Re: LtDanFan! I had the same sleep problems! new
      #311351 - 07/16/07 06:01 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I started taking Elavil right after I was diagnosed with IBS in Feb. I take 10 mg at night. It does make me sleepy, so I was taking it late at night, right before I went to bed. My attacks come around 10pm, and the frequency did decrease, but I found that if I took it earlier (8pm), it did decrease the severity of attacks too. I follow the diet strictly, and do not touch trigger foods.

I know what you mean about sleep meds - I tried Ambien one time. I took it in the evening. I woke up at 3am, completely dressed, laying across my bed with the lights all on! I have no idea how I got there, the last thing I remember is watching TV that evening. I felt like I had gone on a bender and was suffering the hangover all the next day! That was scary! Needless to say, I never took Ambien again.

Take care!

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants *caprice* new
      #311352 - 07/16/07 06:32 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

thanks caprice, if you don't mind me asking, what were you at the Cleveland Clinic for? thanks for the heads up, I do believe it is going to be a lot of trial and error with the meds, this one is just not working, I didn't sleep at all last night and my heart was on over drive today....need to get some sleep!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: LtDanFan! I had the same sleep problems! kimberste new
      #311354 - 07/16/07 06:37 PM
LtDanFan

I have seen a lot that people have been given elavil. I think I may call my family doc about that again and give it a try again. I have such a hard time with medication that is supposed to make a person sleepy, make me feel like I've drank 4 or 5 cups of coffee, and I don't drink any!!!
I have tried, Lunesta, horrible headaches about 2 o'clock the next day, everyday!!! did sleep well, Ambien, zombie sleep, not restful, elavil, long ago...may try again, and two others I can't hink of the name. I actually started taking half of a phenergan, which is for nausea, cause that does make me tired, and was using that a while back to help me sleep, then I read it can be addictive....Good lord, I just want to rest!!! I am very strict with my diet, giving up my lactaid milk was the hardest thing, I just can't tolerate rice or soy milk in my cereal, but I do now, I still do not like it, and miss the lactaid so much, but don't want to be crumpled over in horrendous pain and massive D.... thanks for your input!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants that would like to share... new
      #311486 - 07/18/07 11:20 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I took a low dose of Bentyl (generic it is called amitrytipline) at 10 mg once per day. I did so for about one year. It was not enough to have any effect on depression or anxiety, but it did help me somewhat with my IBS pain. At the time, though, I was not on Heather's diet, so I still experienced frequent diet related episodes of D. Plus, it caused me to put on a bit of weight (about 10-15 pounds). Weight gain and lethargy/tiredness are common side effects of tri-cyclic ADs. I ended up going off of it because I felt it wasn't working and I hated the weight gain. Perhaps had I been on this diet at the time, it would have benefited me more.

My perspective on taking any med is this: If, personally, the benefits to you of taking the medication outweigh any of the side effects, then try it. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you have to move on to something new. It's frustrating, but if it helps, won't you be glad you took the chance? I hope whatever you decide to do gives you some reprieve from your symptoms! Best of luck!

#311533 - 07/18/07 04:47 PM
LtDanFan

Hi, AmandaM, Bentyl is not amitryptaline, this is generic for elavil, which is used for sleep and depression/anxiety. I have lost so much weight that gaining wouldn't be that bad, but they can't find out why I lost and can't gain.....I'm so confused with all these meds. I will have been on this new stuff for a week, tomorow. I have not gained any weight, I'm not sure how long it takes before you start gaining and I have not slept.....but I'm going to stick with it a little while longer and get a second opinion. thanks for your response

--------------------

#311640 - 07/20/07 09:27 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Oops! You're right! I've been on so many meds I get their brand names and generic names confused! I took the generic form of Elavil.

It took a while before I gained weight from it. Probably a few months. It did help me sleep, though. Just hang in there and give it some time! Meds often take a couple months to take hold. Good luck to you!

Re: Anyone taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants *caprice* new
      #311666 - 07/20/07 01:38 PM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Sorry for the late reply. I did there pain clinic day rehab program for my pn and also for anasteseolgist apt.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2590 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review