All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat before/after running?
      #311029 - 07/12/07 08:54 AM
TMac

Reged: 11/08/06

I have done a lot of searching on this site, but have not been able to find specifics about this. Everyone says to eat something safe before running (an hour or so), but can anyone give me some specific examples of something that would be good and safe to eat before running and maybe what to eat after? During long runs, I have very intense cramps after running and feel like I'm going to have D, but then I can't go. At times, on long runs, I actually have these pains and have to stop running and sometimes even do have D. I'd love to know how to try to correct this with my diet (I see suggestions on ab workouts, meds, etc, but I'd like suggestions of specific foods to eat). Bananas, bars? I usually try to eat half a bar, but this doesn't help - maybe hurts? Thank you so much - any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat before/after running? new
      #311031 - 07/12/07 09:06 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Hello! I run a lot as well. Before a shorter run I will eat a half of a lunar bar (these are the best because they are not made with milk) A lot of protein bars and granola bars are made with milk and HFCS so I stay away from them.

If I am going for a really long run I will eat a bagel and penut butter at least an 1- 1 1/2 before hand. I use better than penut butter which tastes great and is lower in fat cal and also sodium.

After a run I usually wait at least an hour before eating and then will eat my usual breakfast...cereal, oatmeal..etc.

HOpe this helps a little

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#311033 - 07/12/07 09:16 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I don't have any specific advice unfortunately. I would think things that are known to be "stopping" foods for most people would help like bananas (not too ripe) or rice or white bread et.c. But I don't have any experience of running myself. (I can get problems just from power walking sometimes...)

However, of course this doesn't help you to know, but even for people who don't have IBS it's fairly common to get bowel cramps and D after (or even during) long distance running.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#311042 - 07/12/07 10:11 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi there,

I am also a runner myself, and I totally understand and can commiserate with how you feel. For me, it depends on the time of day that I run. I run three miles every morning, and I never eat before I run. Afterwards, I usually eat a normal breakfast (cereal). However, if I am doing a longer run, then I make sure I have a decent amount of protein and SF about an hour to an hour and a half before. I try not to eat less than an hour before because it usually gives my body enough time to digest and go to the bathroom before hitting the pavement. Anyway, I hope that helps a little bit. I'm still trying to figure out how to be active and have IBS-D at the same time -- it's a lot of trial and error!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#311081 - 07/12/07 04:46 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

Hi, I am IBS-D and while I'm not a runner, I do exercise regularly at the gym, including at least 30 minutes of cardio. I always have oatmeal with sliced banana and 1/2 tsp of acacia and a cup or two of peppermint tea (anti spasmotic) about 1 to 1 1/2 hour before I exercise. I'm careful to eat some form of protein (hummus, sliced turkey, egg white omlette) about one hour after exercise. No problems with D or pain (my main symptoms) so far. I don't know if that translates to your situation, but I hope it helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review