All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How do you guys keep from getting OCD
      #310469 - 07/05/07 09:16 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I have been on the diet for about three months and have seen some definate improvement. However, my anxiety level is much higher because I have become OCD over following it. I do hypno and yoga but how do you guys keep from obsessing whether you ate one too many strawberries or not.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you guys keep from getting OCD....bump nt new
      #310491 - 07/05/07 11:51 AM
AndrewIBSC

Re: How do you guys keep from getting OCD new
      #310492 - 07/05/07 12:09 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I think it gets better in time. In my opinion, once you stabilize, you become less fixated on food mostly because you get used to what your body can tolerate. Also, once the diet becomes second nature to you, it helps with the anxiety.

Although, whenever I hit periods of instability, I immediately revert to experiencing a lot of anxiety about food.

#310520 - 07/05/07 04:10 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I try to keep my fruit and veggie servings to about 1 cup each. If I go a little over or below, I don't let it bother me. Now if I ate a meal size salad I would expect that in the following couple of hours or the next day, I'd be in the bathroom a lot.

#310523 - 07/05/07 04:18 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It gets easier with time. Eventually you won't have to think "now is this IF or SF??" every time you eat something. It will all become second nature!

Have you tried the hypno? Sounds like this might be a really good option for you. It would certainly help with your anxiety issues.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#310538 - 07/05/07 06:24 PM
AndrewIBSC

Do you eat 1 cup per meal or in a day?

#310544 - 07/05/07 08:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Per meal. Fruit after breakfast, veggies with lunch, and veggies with dinner most times. For a snack I eat fruit sometimes, or applesauce, and sometimes I drink a V8.

#310578 - 07/06/07 07:47 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I get what you mean. During the times when my bowels are a bit more unstable I tend to obsess more too. But I find that over time it has got so much better so while I was really freaked out for quite some time before now I find myself getting over it pretty quickly most of the times... For me it's hard to fully understand how you can get that obsessive when you have IBS-C, but I guess it's just not fair to compare problems... But maybe something for you to think about though the next time you wonder if you've eaten a strawberry too many - I have IBS-D but don't have normal sphincter control... You can probably imagine how that could lead to obsessing. Though like I said it's got so much better. I'm not quite there yet, but I am waiting to get surgical help for the sphincter problem and I am very hopeful I will be able to get over the obsessing completely after that.

Good luck!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310579 - 07/06/07 07:49 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

You probably don't have OCD, but sometimes it seems like it! A member of my family has a form of OCD, and it's WAY more complex than the "routines" I have to pay attention to. Not explainable by logic--very different.

That said, I know what you mean. At what point is the attention to eating and the routine just habitual? What portions of it can be eliminated--truly---and when, without becoming unstable?

I was recently out of state, and my daughter came to pick me up to take me home---and for a little vacation. She's REALLY into hiking, and so, for a couple of days, I had to do HER routine, which meant taking a chance on not doing mine (or not so thoroughly). It meant staying at a motel, getting up early, and leaving for a ride or a hike before I had my morning BM. I tried to relax about that, but it had me worried.

I ended up carrying toilet paper, and "going" behind some trees, with mucho mosquitos. But it was good to get away from my set "rules" of eating and eliminating; I learned that I don't need to be quite so rigid about it all.

Once armed with IBS knowledge, and diet tools, things don't just turn to disaster when the routine changes (like they used to do whenever I would travel).

C

#311013 - 07/11/07 11:08 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Here's my suggestion, don't obsess over eating equal sized meals every two hours.
I don't know if you did this, but I know I for over two years until recently had this terrible habit of eating every two hours and it made me bloated, backed up and general not better.

Don't overeat, but if you go four hours without a meal and can only snack on two graham crackers, so be it.

Just make sure again you do not eat too much, never go more than four hours, drink lots of water, and remember two graham cracker or another SF food is a fine snack.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review