All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So, how much weight am I gonna gain eating all this bread???? :(
      #310454 - 07/05/07 06:49 AM
GeorgiaGal

Reged: 06/11/07
Loc: Georgia

I've just been through another 7 months of gluten free and mostly dairy free eating and the IBS-D is still an issue almost every morning.

I pulled out the Eating for IBS book, I've had for a couple years, and started reading it again. My concern is weight gain with all the carbs. I use the acacia fiber in my rice protein shakes (that I make with almond milk) and I eat brown rice with lunch & dinner almost every day, but I do try to limit the carbs due to weight gain.

How have the rest of you done with weight on this diet?

Thanks!

--------------------
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. -William Gladstone

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So, how much weight am I gonna gain eating all this bread???? :( new
      #310471 - 07/05/07 09:18 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I've lost weight, about 15 pounds so far. I do eat a lot of breads, muffins, and bagels, but I think giving up the meat and soda has made a big difference.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310481 - 07/05/07 10:20 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I lost 30 lbs (I was at 165) when I was first dx with IBS (I was afraid to eat). I started on Heather's diet in Feb 2007, and my weight has been stable since. I actually lost 3 more pounds recently, but that seems to come and go. Prior to all this, I couldn't seem to get below 150 when I made the effort. (I'm 5'5") Now I am at 132lbs. I exercise (cardio and wt lifting) at least 4 times a week. I am strict about the diet - no red meat, dark poultry, egg yolks, dairy, soda, caffeine, and very little fat. When it comes to losing weight, I think a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from carbs, sugars, or fat. Obviously, some calories are more nutrient packed than others. If you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. I feel that even though I eat more bread and other carbs, I have cut out so many calories from all those things I don't eat anymore, that the weight has stayed off. The only thing I find hard to do is to get enough nutrients in my diet, because I am still trying to figure out which veggies set me off. Hopefully, with time and experimentation, I will figure it out.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

Kim

#310495 - 07/05/07 12:47 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

The only weight I gained was needed. At my sickest, I was at 118 lb. I weight 5-8 lbs more now. That's right about where I should be & feel healthiest at.

#310507 - 07/05/07 02:56 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

Since i have been on the diet I have lost about 10 pounds. I actually find it kind of hard to put on weight. I think it's because I eliminated so much of the fattening foods I was eating before. I have been at a stable weight with no fluctuations for about a month so I think it finally leveled out after a while.

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#310516 - 07/05/07 04:01 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

There are other SF foods that are not breads and pasta.

#310529 - 07/05/07 04:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I lost 12 pounds starting the diet and it also was due to eliminating the fattening foods I had been eating. Remember that one gram of fat has 9 calories whereas one gram of carbs has 4 (or is it 5?). So fatty foods are higher in cals than carbs. Also when someone used to the diet tries to lose weight they can concentrate on getting their SF from fruits and veggies instead of bread, pasta and rice.
Read this page of Heather's info.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review