All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help, I am in need of some advice/bump from a previous post
      #310233 - 07/01/07 04:30 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I'm sorry, but I have done a search on the board and found no help, so I have bumped this request because I cannot believe there is only one person who had a suggestion. Is there no one on this board who had IBS-D and takes a calcium supplement? I am desperate. I am going back to the Cleveland Clinic July 6th and we all know what stress does to our IBS. Please help. I have not posted in a while, one positive I do have is that I finally made it past 30 days without an IBS attack, woo hoo, I think it was 37 days.....that's the longest in probably 10-15 years.....just once
Anyway, I have been very ill nice my hysterectomy, I had posted some problems before and after my surgery, but I am 6 month post surgery and still very ill, have been to the Cleveland Clinic and going back this Thursday.....the doc took 14 vials of blood....anyway, there is a possibility that I may need to start taking calcium and I'm scared to death do to so. I'm not seeing a GI doc at the Clinic, but the one I am seeing is working with me and my IBS, I'm seeing a neurologist for some bizzare, painful symptoms of pain, burning, numbness, in my upper back, left arm, wrist, hand and thumb, also a very annoying pain in my left side/nerve related when I am having my "typical" IBS attack, my descending colon cramps to no end, so he is trying to find out why when I have a really bad attack that my arms and legs/feet go numb and tingly, I feel like I'm having a seizure, and my head shakes. This is not a panic attack, it happens when I am at my most comfortable calm times. Anyway, I've lost over 25 pounds and have been unable to gain even a pound in the past 6 months.....

I am IBS-D prominant, severe cramping, nausea and wanted to get some suggestions about the calcium just in case, just so I can have one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain, I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Edited by LtDanFan (07/01/07 04:27 PM)

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, I am in need of some advice/bump from a previous post new
      #310242 - 07/02/07 04:21 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm sorry to hear you are doing so poorly. I am not IBS D but I do take a multi and a cal/mag supplement. I did not notice a difference when starting them. I buy the organic ones without extra ingredients. I would suggest getting the low dose cal/mag and just taking one and see how you do. Because it is always mixed the cal and mag sort of cancel each other out IMO. Still, it is a risk you know to add anything.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Help, I/bump from a previous post/Calcium and all it's extras new
      #310246 - 07/02/07 04:51 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks Little Minnie,

That is my concern....all the extras, and I'm not sure what Vitamin D is supposed to do for Diarrhea (if it's good or bad for it)and the same with magnesium, and actually Calcium, what part does it play in IBS-D? Do you know how they affect IBS-D? Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#310251 - 07/02/07 06:02 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I am sorry I don't have any useful comments, I just have a question: why are you so scared to start a calcium supplement? I mean, since it usually helps against D and you have IBS-D.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. And the nerve pain et.c. on top of it all. I know a lot about that though, have had genital area nerve pain since 1999.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Ulrika/calcium post help new
      #310257 - 07/02/07 06:54 AM
LtDanFan

Hi,

I'm scared about the calcium due do some posts from a while back, which of course I cannot find doing a search, I have read on this board. About vitamin D, magnesium, minerals and extra junk some companies put in the calcium tablets. This fear also stems from the horrible IBS attacks and the fear of adding anything that would aggrevate or bring on an attack. So basically I was hoping someone who has IBS-D and is using calcium supplements could help me find one that may be safe. I understand that what may work for one person may not work for another, but I'm open for suggestions. I'm sorry about your nerve pain also, since the nerve my Gyn doc nicked is right next to my colon, when I'm having colon spasm or just colon movement for a BM, at times, the pain can drop me to my knees, and I know it's not my IBS colon pain. Also, I'm having nerve pain in my back, arm, wrist and thumb.....At times I wish I would have never had the hysterectomy, not that that brought on my other symptoms, but I went down hill fast and have not been able to feel whole since.

--------------------

Re: Help, I/bump from a previous post/Calcium and all it's extras new
      #310267 - 07/02/07 08:44 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

My suugestion since you are IBS-D is not to be scared of taking calcium as it should help your D. If you are taking calcium a Vit D supplement helps you digest calcium, so this won't hurt either. Do stay away from Magnesium though...this will help those with IBS-C and I would think be a big irritant for those with IBS-D.

#310276 - 07/02/07 10:25 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

For IBS-Ders stay away from magnesium in the calcium. I remember reading on here one time that a Der said they use Caltrate with no problem.

Re: Help, I am in need of some advice/bump Thanks!! new
      #310297 - 07/02/07 01:47 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks for the advice, I wil try calcium with D no fillers or magnesium....

--------------------

Re: Caltrate + D and calcium information! new
      #310312 - 07/02/07 02:35 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I took this for a little while, but I'm not really good about taking vitamins regularly. Also, I think this is the one that Sand takes. We're both IBS-D (although I also tend toward IBS-A). I recommend buying a pill cutter because these pills are huge.

Also, here's a great summary about Calcium supplements that Sand researched and wrote:
Calcium

Hope this helps! The boards can be hard to navigate, especially if someone mispells a word or if you're not exactly sure what to search for. I try to toggle any useful discussions and save them to my list.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (07/02/07 02:35 PM)

#310388 - 07/04/07 07:15 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I know exactly how you feel. When I have an IBS attack, I get D, severe abdominal pain, a weird tingling/flushing feeling all over, but especially in my arms and hands, and nausea, with the shakes after each wave of pain. I've lost 33 pounds since Nov 2006. I've had a ton of tests, scans,and procedures, and they all came back normal, so I was dx with IBS. I am going for a second opinion in Aug, but the diet has helped me gain more control over the symptoms - I haven't been to the ER since Feb 2007.

I take a whole foods, non dairy based multi vitamin made by rainbow light called Just Once Naturals. Its a prenatal vitamin, so it is formulated to be gentle on your GI tract.
It has a combination of Calcium carbonate and calcium citrate-malate(200mg). I've been toying with the idea of adding another calcium supplement, but I am also not sure what to try. For now I use an enriched form of rice milk to get some more calcium in my diet.

I don't know if that answers your question at all, but I do feel that I am in the same place.

Kim

#310404 - 07/04/07 11:58 AM
LtDanFan

Kim,
Thanks so much for the reply, I know I'm not losing the weight from the IBS, I've had it practically all my life, plus I have read that you are not supposed to lose weight from D from IBS??? At least I know someone else has those type of symptoms from an attack. I head to the Cleveland Clinic for the third time this Friday, with hopes they have the answers to my bizarre symptoms which manifested about 9 months and have rapidly progressed........I'm hoping it's just a pill or injection or something "easy" that I can take to help whatever is wrong with me.

Thanks for the response. I'm still learning about the calcium, so I'll research it some more and decide what to try

--------------------

Re: Caltrate + D and calcium information! thanks maria!maria! nt new
      #310405 - 07/04/07 12:00 PM
LtDanFan

--------------------

#310433 - 07/04/07 05:51 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I would have replied sooner but I've been away!

I am primarily D and I take calcuim every day. I was recommended to because I don't even drink soy milk to get enough calcuim in my diet. I don't find it makes my D and worse or any better. (I have been taking it for 5+ years though.)

The calcuim I take has:
333 mg of elemental calcium (carbonate, citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)
167 mg of elemental magnesium (oxide, citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)
133 IU Vitamin D

I was told the mix of calcium and magnesium is what I need. Each person is different.

Good luck on getting healthy again!! I sympathize about the weight loss - I'm down 40 lbs since last Feb and cannot put a pound on either!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Help, I am in need of some advice/bump to Toady new
      #310473 - 07/05/07 09:40 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks for the post, do you only take 333mg of calcium a day, is that all you need, I thought women needed like around 1200 or more a day....just wondering and the magnesium doesn't affect your D? Thanks for the kind words....I hope my nerves don't kick in because of my trip.....I may have to take an extra anxiety pill.....

--------------------

#310478 - 07/05/07 09:58 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

Hello,
If you find any answers that make sense, please let us know. My symptoms started suddenly 8 months ago, and were chalked up to a bad gall bladder. I had it removed 6 months ago, but the symptoms persisted. Now the MDs are scratching their heads, as all the tests came back normal, and some of my symptoms don't match typical IBS (symptoms at night, weight loss, and other weirdness). The first GI doc I saw did all his procedures, then called it IBS. If I get any answers or confirmation from this second GI guy that I am seeing in Aug, I will let you know. A injection or pill solution would be great, but my life is never that simple, I'm afraid.

Good luck to you!
Kim

Re: Lt Dan Fan new
      #310489 - 07/05/07 11:15 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I was told at my age (31) and based on the other sources of calcium naturally - almonds, bread, figs - I should be alright with 1 tab a day. If I have less in my diet naturally then I will have to take 2 - morning and night. So far, so good!!

Here is a calculator to help tell you what you need.

http://www.osteoporosis.ca/english/about%20osteoporosis/calcium%20calculator/default.asp?s=1

Have a good trip, I hope your tummy and anxiety behaves!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review