All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A gross topic....stools
      #309973 - 06/27/07 09:57 AM

Unregistered

This is graphic so warning, but I thought if I posted it here where we all suffer I might get some constructive feedback. Each time I tell my doctor I get a blank stare, out comes the script pad and off he goes writing all sorts of medications, anti spasm meds, stool softeners, laxatives etc.

Here is what happened and it freaked me out. If anyone else has this I'd love to hear your experience as well.

I had taken an antib called Xifaxan. I know there is a generic brand of it, but forget the name. It was given to me because my doctor thought (without tests) that I had a bacteria infection in my gut. It was a hot week at 119 degrees and I left my Brita Pitcher out. On the bottom was black thick layer of soot. He assumed it was full of mold and bacteria and I was drinking it. I did not have any runny stools, just my normal IBS-C with bloat and cramps. Took the meds for a week. Still in pain he said go another week. After that (2006) I have never been the same. I couldn't poop after I took it so he said take Milk of Mag. GRAPHIC WARNING... the stool remained halway out. I had to manually pull it out. I grossed myself out and realized something was wrong. Back to the doctor who explained this antib stays only in the gut and is used for those with travelers D. Well I never had D. HELLO? So I've spend the rest of the year trying to fix this and I've tried everything, had tests. Saw a dietican too. No one has an answer, but eat this, eat that. I did and no improvement. I also drink tons of water.

So these past weeks I've tried suggestions on here plus adding more food that I know would make me use the bathroom without the hard stools, I thought. All I have had for this past yr are hard small balls and they are so dry.

I took Milk of Mag and this is where I need to ask any of you if this happens to you. The last few times I used Milk of Mag it all came out loose. This time it was so beyond gross and scary I have no words. GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION AHEAD
It was hard to even get it out and when it did it was formed into I'd say the size of a fist of hard dry balls all stuck together, again almost didn't come out and painful to release, then after that a normal rather big size stool that quickly dissolved into loose mush followed again at the end of it some dry balls. What is going on? Does anyone know? I take Probotics - Jarro Dolphis. Have been since 1989 so do I need a different kind? Seems if I have fiber, fruit, follow the Heather suggestions this is what I end up with. It all just stays inside until I use Milk of Mag or glyercin liquid Fleets which barely gets anything out.

I'm scared and frustrated and all the doctors say IBS. Suggestions? Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A gross topic....stools new
      #309986 - 06/27/07 11:31 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I had exactly the same happen to me when I went on this diet. Nothing I did seemed to get me normal BM's. Like you hard pebbles, normal to soft and then hard pebbles, so much so I bled alot when going! I find my culprit though..it was HFCS. I eliminated this from my diet (plus I did add in magnesium tablets every night before bed) and hey presto...everything is normal....everyday..it's been a miracle I swear..I never thought I would have a reglar BM again!..Keep strong and keep trying different things, it is worth the effort!

#309988 - 06/27/07 11:51 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Grossness--no problem.
Another GROSS description follows here:

My daughter is an RN and works in a hospital. Several weeks ago, one of her patients was constipated. The staff had tried everything---stool softeners, m of magnesia, suppositories--no BMs. So finally, they had to manually remove the large dry mass (same as you described) manually, so that the rest could come out. The stools were causing distention of the anus--sort of half-way out like you said, but with no "urge to go" in the patient.

I'm not saying I know what's going on in your case--but only that chronic constipation and drying of stools probably leads to changes in the muscle tone of the rectum and anus--and the "signals" to "go" don't function properly, and the morphology of the lower rectum "collects" rather than "expels."

I know what drugs can do--it took me 6 months to get over the anal problems and constipation that developed after I took 2 days of a narcotic painkiller for my neck spasm. I thought I would NEVER get better.

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of personal "detective work" on our own to gradually turn things around. I really don't think doctors help much unless there is truly some physical disease or obvious defect somewhere. And I sure you've gotten those things checked out.

So frustrating for you---I sympathize!

C

#310007 - 06/27/07 02:54 PM

Unregistered

What is HFCS? I thank you so much for posting. I really needed to talk to someone who could relate and not everyone is interested in discussing poop or lack of! It does seem to be magnesium for a lot of people on this board in some form. Whether a tablet or the Nature Calm. I think I was afraid of taking it because one time long ago my electrolytes got all out of whack and if you take mag. I think you need calcium and that causes constipation, but I did buy Nature Calm and I think it's time to give it a try.

I'm sorry you had the same thing, but in a way am glad you told your story so I'm not feeling so alone. I do agree at some point I should be able to figure out what I need.
Thanks!

#310008 - 06/27/07 02:58 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for responding. The support means so much.
You know I wondered about the muscles of the anus with constipation. Makes sense. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep trying, something has to correct itself. Sorry you had to go through it with the pain killers. If I could turn back time I'd have never taken an antib when there was no real show of any infection in the gut. Maybe people that read my post will benefit, hope so. I just am blown away how dry a stool can get. This is a new one on me.

Thanks again!

#310010 - 06/27/07 03:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not gross at all. There is even a scale called the Bristol Stool Scale that used by medical people to assist them to understand what your are experiencing.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#310055 - 06/28/07 08:20 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Hey Lainey,

I wanted to add another comment to this topic. One thing that helped me during my 6-months of C problems (I had the dry masse of hard stools, blood in passing, and anal sphincter spasm also). Anyway, I tend to sit in regular chairs and work at the computer quite a bit--and it seemed that posture was really wrong for my rectum/ anus muscle tone. Not simply contact pain, like you would have from hemorrhoids and such, but a wrong "posture." I set my computer and mouse up on a box and started doing most of my work standing up. I think that's when I started to gradually improve.

Also, because of the spasm, I started warming my "lower region" with a folded washcloth soaked in very warm water, wrung out-- (to relax the anal muscles and increase blood flow to the area). Don't do this if you actually have hemorrhoids, though, it will make them worse. I usually did this after a BM, but sometimes did it when my bum was really uncomfortable.

I make a point of being scupulously clean down there--I use a foam cleanser sold for eyelid hygiene--OcuSoft brand. (not witch hazel--that's too strong). And add a small amount of topical petrolatum to protect tissue.

In the acute phase, I used suppositories at bedtime. I started with prescription cortizone (mild) and then tried several OTC types. They can be irritating, but they seemed to soften the stool in the lower rectum a bit and lubricate the area, so that at least the first BM was easier to pass. There is a mild type sold in Health Food Stores that's just oil, beeswax--whatever. You insert them just inside the anal past the sphincter---not far at all. You don't even need to put a finger in (for me--that added to all the chronic irritation). Have you ever tried a suppository? I had never used them before.

Sorry to go on---one more thing. Warning: gross description ahead.

I could usually feel if the BM was hard, and rather than open up the bleeding fissure, I would put the tips of my fingers (usually both hands) on each side of the anal opening to support the tissue and keep it from tearing during a bowel movement.

I don't know if you're having any problem of the sort I just described, but I know hard stools just don't come out the same way as normal or soft stools. I was so tired of having painful BMs that for a while, I think I was mentally "holding back"---not good!

Hang in there--you will figure this out!

Calli

#310069 - 06/28/07 11:25 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

HFCS is high fructose corn syrup. it is a sweetner used in America, places like the UK don't use it they tend to use saccarine...anyhow it is in soooooo many everyday foods we use and it was the only thing left for me to eliminate althought I didn't think it was causing a problem because I didn't get gas or pain...It is in most breads, just check out the lable on the bread in your kitchen if it is pre-packed like Wonder, it says high fructose corn syrup in the ingredients...tomatoe ketchup of all things..all kellogs cereals have it, so many things you would be suprised once you start looking.. I have now totally taken it out of my diet and use things like organic ketchup (tastes the same to me!), I have found a packaged bread in Meijer that is white and contain NO HFCS..it even has a sticker on the packaging to promote this.. Once I eliminated this I had totally regular BM's I was amazed, I had no idea it was affecting me like that.
I too am a little scared of the calcium and don't want to take a supplment becuase of constipation, so I make sure I eat Salmon (pref tinned with bone), raisins, brocolli, sprouts that sort of thing at least every other day or one of them everyday, they not only supply the calcium but also my IF intake. Also soy milk fortified will help, a glass a day or more if you can handle it...this is all should you want to try the magnesium..
Best of luck and don't give up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2237

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review