All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breyer's Lactose Free Ice Cream
      #309878 - 06/26/07 08:33 AM
keanra

Reged: 09/15/06

Sorry if this as been asked before, but I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw that Breyer's makes vanilla 99% lactose free ice cream. Is this safe to eat? I saw the ingredients listed milk, cream and lactase enzyme.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breyer's Lactose Free Ice Cream new
      #309882 - 06/26/07 09:00 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

The short answer: if you are following Heather's diet, dairy products of any kind are not recommended.

I see that you are new--welcome. :-) It's important to go through and read all the information about Heather's diet in addition to participating on the message boards. If you go back to the main page of this site, you'll see a lot of clickable links in the text where you can find answers to questions such as this one.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#309891 - 06/26/07 10:16 AM
keanra

Reged: 09/15/06

Thanks...I'll definitely read up on it some more. I've been following Heather's diet, though not religiously, and have seen a huge difference in the way I feel. The hypnotherapy program truly changed my life. I'm still figuring out how to alter recipes and read labels. Just one question....how can something contain milk & cream and be marketed as lactose free?

#309894 - 06/26/07 10:38 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

From what I understand, the lactase enzyme breaks down the lactose in the milk and cream, so while it still has milk products in it, it has no lactose. This is great for people who are lactose intolerant... not so good for those of us who can't have any dairy. Even worse is the so called "non-dairy" creamer, which usually has casein in it, which is a product of milk. For some reason it can legally be called non-dairy, but because of the casein, it's not safe for us.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309939 - 06/26/07 06:52 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

Now I know why I love all of you so much! We bought Breyer's Lactose Free Ice Cream on Saturday and had it with strawberries and angel food cake Sat. nite and Sun. afternoon for dessert. I didn't bother to read the label like I ALWAYS do, just took it for granted it was okay. Now I know why my tummy has been hurting for two days. That'll teach me!!! You don't ever take anything for-granted with IBS, do you? I've only been on Heather's diet about a month and on Acacia, but through this web-site, the diet, Acacia and all of you on the boards, I always know I have somebody to turn to. Thanks again for solving another situation with this crazy life of an IBSr.

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 958 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review