All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do I fix this?!?
      #309641 - 06/23/07 06:54 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

So I was doing ok with the diet and everything until about five days ago. Now there's a pattern that has been happening every day and I can't figure out how to stop it or change it. Basically, every morning I have 2-3 BMs, mostly loose. However, I will not have any more throughout the day, but I feel somewhat constipated, a little bloated, and lots of gas. Then I go to bed and the next morning the cycle repeats itself. I don't know whether to increase my SF or IF -- I don't want to increase my IF because I really don't want to be going anymore than I already am, but I feel like if I increase my SF then the constipation will worsen throughout the day. What is happening? My only theory is that for whatever reason since my body can't empty itself during the day, it builds up while I sleep and then the multiple BMs occur to get it all out. I am really frustrated because nothing seems to help. I am on Lexapro, and up until recently it really seemed to be helping a lot. I did run out of my probiotic on Monday, and haven't been near a HFH to get more. Also, I am visiting my parents in my home town, and I flew back Tuesday, so maybe the change of location is impacting me in some way? I don't feel more stressed, besides this worry, but it could be subconscious I suppose. I have been doing the hypno and it also was helping a lot, particularly with the stress, but it too seems to not be as effective for the past five days. I know that's not a lot of time, but I am really scared that it won't get better or that it will revert back to before I discovered the diet. It's not quite that bad yet, but it's the worst its been since I began following Heather's guidelines two months ago. Anyways, I know this is a long and rambling post, but any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be really appreciated.

One more thing, does anyone know if there is a test for wheat intolerance? I mean besides the tests for Celiac (have gotten that done twice and both times negative). Thanks again!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do I fix this?!? new
      #309642 - 06/23/07 07:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you are IBS-D then I suggest you decrease you IF for a few days and see what happens? You may feel a bit C for a couple of days until you body gets itself back in sync.

There are only gluten and food allergy tests available for determining if you have problems with wheat. Of course the other method is to remove it from your diet for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

PS - You say the problems started about 5 days ago. Wasn't that about the time you went out for Indian food with your boy friend?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: How do I fix this?!? new
      #309675 - 06/24/07 07:49 AM
caputsky

I think the problem might have started Tuesday night at the airport. My flight got delayed for 5 hours, and even though I brought a safe snack (pretzels) it wasn't enough to last me. So I weighed my options and tried for this dish from a Mexican restaurant that was rice with chicken and lettuce and salsa. I picked off all of the lettuce (haven't been able to eat a salad without pain for eons!) and half of the salsa. However, I think the salsa was too much IF. Plus it came in a low-fat mango lime sauce, but I'm not sure if any of the other ingredients are triggers. However, I'm still suffering and its six days later. It doesn't feel like an attack, just as if my body has suddenly gotten out of its rhythm. I'm sticking to mainly SF foods right now, but still am having morning D. I'm really frustrated because my BMs were so much more formed up until this cycle started and I really don't know what to do. I feel like I should add a bit of IF into my diet during the day to encourage my body to "go" more and not save it all for over night so that the morning problems aren't so severe. Like I said, they're not as bad as before I found this website, but they are painful, especially since I have hemorrhoids as well and those are really becoming aggravated. I'm going to try and stick to the BTC diet at least until tomorrow, which is when I fly back to where I live. Who knows, maybe subconciously my mind can't deal with the change of scenery (actually, the last time I was home at my parents house my IBS was at its absolute worst, so maybe my brain assumes that it should revert back to that again). What can I say, always a mystery.

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

I think I figured it out! new
      #309752 - 06/24/07 07:26 PM
caputsky

So I think I figured out the problem. On Wednesday I was going to a party and offered to bake the dessert (so it would be IBS friendly). I had tried Heather's Chocolate peppermint cake before, and it was delicious, but it bothers my reflux a bit. So, I decided to substitute another spice for the peppermint. My mom suggested some left-over decaf chai mix she had. The cake turned out wonderful and very delicious, and since there were left overs and I hardly ever eat yummy desserts, I had a piece every day. So tonight I just happened to check the canister ingredients, and the second ingredient was non-fat dry milk! I'm so mad at myself because I usually am extremely careful about checking labels before I use anything. I guess because it was decaf I forgot about being fastidious. I know better now

--------------------

Re: I think I figured it out! new
      #309755 - 06/24/07 09:00 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry you suffered but glad that you figured out the problem. I just wanted to let you know that I have substituted almond extract for peppermint in Heather's cake recipe and it tasted good!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: I think I figured it out! new
      #309942 - 06/26/07 07:12 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

You are not alone about forgetting to read the label. I did it and am paying the price now. I bought "lactose-free" ice cream and didn't read the label, like the idiot I feel like right now. I'm glad you figured out what was making you not feel like you should be feeling. Hope you continue to get better.

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2753 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review