Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Date tomorrow...advice please!
      #309252 - 06/17/07 06:49 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi all,

I am going on a date tomorrow afternoon to an Indian restaurant, and was wondering what foods would be safe to eat? I haven't eaten at an Indian place in a while, since before starting the diet, so I'll be in somewhat unfamiliar territory. I can't handle spicy foods so well, but I did check out the restaurant's website and they said they can make any dish mild. So any suggestions would be really helpful! I haven't been on a date in a while because of the fear of eating out, but I know I need to bite the bullet sooner or later Thanks in advance!!

-Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump n/t new
      #309277 - 06/18/07 07:17 AM
caputsky

bump

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Re: bump n/t new
      #309279 - 06/18/07 08:06 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

you could try something like a mild chicken curry, chicken Tikka is not to spicky and you can scrape off the coating if you don't want to eat it and then just eat the chicken. Rice will be pretty safe and Naan bread I find is safe. Enjoy your date!

Re: bump n/t new
      #309280 - 06/18/07 08:07 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I don't know why anyone hasn't answered. I'm pretty new to the diet too. I would see if I could get a large serving of plain white rice and maybe some type of chicken or tofu dish done mild. Maybe a simple mild curry? Either way, I would suggest trying to eat some other basic food, bread/pasta before going so your stomach isn't empty. Good luck. I know exactly how you feel. I decided not to even try dating someone a few months ago when my IBS was really bad. I applaud your bravery!

My advice new
      #309282 - 06/18/07 08:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

would be to see if you can go to a different type of restaurant where you can easily choose safe foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Date tomorrow...advice please! new
      #309287 - 06/18/07 08:37 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

These threads might help:
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=240802&Forum=recipe&Main=240802
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=210908&Forum=diet&Main=210908

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309291 - 06/18/07 09:01 AM
caputsky

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I am going to make sure that whatever I have is mild and does not contain any dairy (no ghee!). Hopefully my date won't think I'm too weird. I've only known him for a few weeks, and I would rather not get into any in depth health report about my IBS We'll see how it goes -- worst that can happen is he thinks I'm a freak and that's the end of it, lol.

Julie

--------------------

#309348 - 06/19/07 12:50 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Hey! Just wanted to see how your date went. Havent heard from you in awhile, shoot me an email when you get a chance

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

I survived! new
      #309353 - 06/19/07 06:44 AM
caputsky

I survived my date without having an attack! I ordered the Shrimp Tandoori, and it came with a lot of rice, plus garlic nan bread (which I asked for without butter). The dish was mild but flavorful and I only ate half of it because it was on the big side. Plus, the guy I went with was totally cool with me having "food issues" and we had a great time I felt I overcame a small hurdle in this craziness that is handling my IBS. Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement, they were really helpful and motivating!

Julie

--------------------

Re: I survived! new
      #309377 - 06/19/07 03:23 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!!!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2017

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review