All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help finding a link...
      #308983 - 06/13/07 09:33 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Hello

A few days ago, i was reading a page on this site(not a post on the message board) where the issue of Fructose was being discussed. It stated which of the citrus fruits were less harmful and had some comments about the stone fruits etc. Does anybody know whick page i am talking about?
Thanks
MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help finding a link... new
      #308990 - 06/13/07 09:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I made the posting and I cannot find the link either but I know it is there somewhere.

Here is the list of fruits with glucose in balance with or in excess of fructose

Stone fruit: apricot, nectarine, peach, plum (note these contain sorbitol)

Berry fruit: blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry, cranberry, raspberry, strawberry

Citrus fruit: kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, orange, tangelo

Other fruits: ripe banana, jackfruit, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, pineapple, rhubarb, tamarillo

Reference
Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). Fructose malasborption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631–9.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308993 - 06/13/07 10:10 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

so these are safe to eat if you have Fructose Sensitivity?

i suspect that i may have this...i have eaten watermelon and had violent D. i recently ate a ripe banana on a very empty stomach and had almost instant violent D.

MBH

#308995 - 06/13/07 10:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The list of fruits was compiled by a group in Australia that devised a diet for individuals that have problems with fructose. I have not tried all the fruits they say are ok. I eat semi ripe bananas, deseeded kiwi fruit and some berries. I find that the citrus fruits contain a bit too much IF for me.

Like you I found I had problems melons, manago, papaya, apples and pears. This gave me a clue to my problems with fructose. The removal of foods with excess fructose was the last modification that I made to my diet. It took me 2 years to figure out what the problem was after I had adjusted my SF/IF intake which made a big difference too. Within a week of removing high fructose foods I noticed a dramatic reduction in pain and D. However, I still have to be very careful of other triggers such as IF, fats/oils and GI stimulants.

Good luck

PS - I found one of the links

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review