All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Brand new - any advice?
      #308836 - 06/09/07 08:52 AM
AudreyK

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Halifax, Canada

Hey everyone, I have a few concerns with my IBS diagnosis. I have a lot of trouble trusting doctors. A week ago I switched to a new doctor and told her about all of my symptoms. I had already suspected I have IBS-C, since I've had chronic constipation for a long time with very clear food triggers. But I really wanted to ease my mind about any other possible diseases I may have. I tend to be sensitive to wheat, so my doctor is testing me for Celiac disease. However, my mother has severe Crohn's disease, and I expected my doctor to immediately send me for tests to eliminate this from the diagnosis. I am going to ask her to the next time I see her. The doctor immediately diagnosed me as having IBS and gave me a Modulon prescription. Now, I had already told her that I'd had these symptoms for about 8 years (since the 8th grade) but they had only recently begun to get worse since I starting working and being in University full time, and that I'd figured out how to control them with my diet. In the past 9 months or so I've also had a localized soreness, or ache, in my RLQ, which has been cause for concern as well. Last month when I had my period this pain got much worse, to the point where I was crying and stressed out, and I went to the emergency room. The doc there told me it was probably an ovarian cyst (despite everything I told him about my bowel-related symptoms) and he was going to send me for an ultrasound but I had to leave the next day for a wedding. He told me it was not urgent and to find a doctor when I got back. So this new doctor said no way, not an ovarian cyst, the pain is too high up on the abdomen. That's when she put me on Modulon - to see if it would make the pain go away. I have been stressed out about this pain for a while - does anyone else with IBS have localized aching pain? It doesn't feel anything like cramps or tension. It feels more like inflammation or something physically wrong with that area. The pain also tends to move down towards where my ovary is, and sometimes up towards my ribs, but it is most often just to the right of my belly button. It comes and goes, sometimes I don't feel it at all. I've been on Modulon for 3 days, side effects not too bad so far, and I'm also following a better consistent diet with soluble fibre, no wheat or dairy, lean meats and lots of water. While the Modulon is in my blood stream, the localized pain is pretty much nonexistent - so hopefully the doc is right, and it is related to the IBS. However, I have also changed my diet at the same time (thanks to Heather)so I'm not sure yet if the pain is going away because of the medicine or because I'm regulating my bowel movements with a better diet.
Anyone have any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brand new - any advice? new
      #308850 - 06/10/07 07:09 AM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I understand your concerns. My father also has Chron's disease and when I went to the doctor regarding my symptoms, he told me it was IBS-C (which I had suspected anyway). He did not run any tests- which I thought was strange as he know my father's history. He wanted me to take Zelnorm which I refused to take for personal reasons. I am positive that I have IBS-C and not Chron's disease as the symptoms are quite different; however, I do think it is important that all other ailments first be eliminated.

I take no medications; I strictly follow the EFI diet and while I am not yet stable, I am definately getting there.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review