All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: White Bread Question new
      #308867 - 06/10/07 05:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

High fructose corn syrup will definitely be on the ingredients list. It is usually up at the beginning, unlike sucralose, and after a while your eye will pick it out in an instant.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#308873 - 06/10/07 09:12 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I live in Southern California, so I eat San Francisco Sourdough bread. It tastes great, has one gram of fat, one gram of fiber and no HFCS. It is great with an eggbeater omelet.

I don't know where you are located, but here; French and Sourdough white bread are the best.

Good luck!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#308949 - 06/12/07 05:17 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I had a question about buying breads.
I usually get the prepackaged bread, usually something like Pepperidge farm Rye bread.

The reason I do this is because normally it either does not have HFCS or if it does it is lower on the ingredients...and I know what is in the bread.
Bakeries do not always tell what you is in the bread, they can have HFCS or dairy or worse.

I always thought it was fine to get pre packaged bread, just try to get something without a lot of HFCS, either without or lower on the ingredient list, and it would be fine.
Good rule?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

What about these ingredients? new
      #309042 - 06/14/07 09:57 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Enriched Flour, water, glucose-fructose or sugar, *yeast, vegetable oil(canola or soy), wheat gluten, salt, soy flour, sodium stearoyl-2lactylate, mono-diglycerides, ascorbic acid, calcium propionate, enzymes.

This is Gadoua Enriched White Bread..Low in Fat...No Trans Fat.

Re: What about these ingredients? new
      #309056 - 06/14/07 02:10 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

glucose-fructose is HFCS....as those are the two ingredients in HFCS...so watch out for that as well

Re: What about these ingredients? new
      #309079 - 06/15/07 12:15 AM
Naturapanic

If bread has HFCS but towards the bottom or middle, is it likely not a big concern?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

HFCS & bread new
      #309097 - 06/15/07 07:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you do not suffer from fructose malabsorption then it does it matter if HFCS is the first, middle or last ingredient it probably won't act as a trigger.

If you do suffer from fructose malabsorption then it could matter. Some individuals cannot tolerate one excess gram of fructose (about 1/5 tsp) while others can handle a quite a few grams. Furthermore, fructose problems can be accumulative. For example, eating a small amount of excess fructose a couple of times a day for a few days can produce pain, gas and bloating.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: HFCS & bread new
      #309129 - 06/15/07 02:57 PM
Naturapanic

How do you know if you suffer from fructose malabsorption?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309137 - 06/15/07 03:14 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are two generally accepted ways.

1) a breath test. it has to be arrange by your doctor, however, it is not readily available.

2) exclude all foods that contain more free fructose than glucose from your diet for at least one month and see how you feel.

I was diagnosed using the second method. Within 48 hours of removing high fructose foods I noticed a siginificant change in pain and D (it can also produce C). It took me a couple of years to figure out how much excess fructose I could tolerate.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#309139 - 06/15/07 03:17 PM
Naturapanic

Isn't that hard to do, I mean it's simple to eliminate dairy in that you know what dairy is and the ingredients, most of the time.

However, how does this translate with fructose, what on labels and restaurants, hints, do you look for to see?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review