All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused and Depressed
      #308371 - 06/01/07 07:14 PM
plo66

Reged: 05/28/07
Loc: Iowa

Hi. Some of you have really helped me out here considering I am new to this site. So I say thankyou for that. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago and it really depressed me. I sat around for all this time miserable and sick. My GI doctor didn't do anything to help me and I know nothing about IBS. I sat at home depressed and ate and gained 60 pounds. Now I have trouble moving cause I am so over weight and with all the bloating I have, I don't know how to lose the weight, or if I even can with IBS. I suffer from depression as it is so this is making my depression even worse. I am a single mom and my son has seen me suffering and I hate it. I haven't been able to get a job cause I have been so sick. I wish I could be possitive, but it is so hard. I plan on going to the store and buying IBS foods and ingrediants. I know I have to accept it. Sorry to go on like this, but I have no support system here and no one to talk too. Thanks for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused and Depressed new
      #308373 - 06/01/07 07:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can vent here anytime you want. I know it's easier said than done, but try to keep a positive attitude about things. Your health and weight will improve, but it probably will not be a fast process, but it will happen. You're headed in the right direction by going to the store and buying IBS friendly foods. For exercise, a simple thing like a walk around the block, or down the street is a good start and you can work your way up from there. When you're up to it, you can buy 1, 3 and 5 pound weights (dumbells) to help tone up your body. As Tony Little says...conceive, believe, and achieve. You can do it!

#308374 - 06/01/07 09:06 PM
Tide

Reged: 08/21/04

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have struggled with depression my whole life. When I was first diagnosed I just felt like everything was unbearable. I have children as well and I know it is tough to be a single Mom.
Don't beat yourself up for the weight gain and for not having this under control. It's a day by day thing for almost everybody. You already on the road to success by getting foods that you can tolerate. Take your kiddo for a walk to the park whatever. Even if you feel like you can't get up just do it. That would really help with the bloating too. Just hang in and pat yourself on the back for seeking help on this site!!

#308396 - 06/02/07 11:27 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I know its hard I suffer from depression to and some days are so much harder living with ibs than than others. I also have a daughter and its hard not to be able to do anything with her cause i don't feel good or can't eat that. My family doesn't think that this is even real and my mom says you just need to find something to eat and eat it and my dad says uck thats gross so not support from them at all. Start going for walks and go get you food that you can eat. I pray alot with out that and my daughter I think I would stay in bed all day. Just get up and go I know easier said than done some days uh.... Hang in there .....It'll get better.
god bless
emmasmom
ibs-c

#308437 - 06/02/07 09:35 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I just read this on the Hypno board and thought it might be something good for you to try.

Michael Mahony Hypnotherapy

#308463 - 06/03/07 03:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Yes, some days it is so hard to not want to throw in the towel. The key is to start to reverse your thinking and feel like YOU are the one in control of your IBS and your body instead of it controlling you. Before this site, I had no direction on how to do that. I had tried everything and gotten more depressed each time something failed. Be DILIGENT (tell yourself at least for let's say 10 days) with foods, avoiding triggers, and trying to walk at least a little bit (even 15 minutes/day). When you realize that you are starting to feel better...even if it's just a smidgen, you will be more motivated to keep at it. Don't get overwhelmed by looking at the whole picture right now...the IBS, the weight, etc...it's too much to digest and will make you more depressed. Just take one day, one goal at a time. This diet really saved me and gave me my life back...not overnight but slowly and steadily so that I was motivated to keep going. Also, do you take any meds? Taking an AD has also really helped me, as did the hypno cds which I completed the 100 days. Hang in there. I'm sure you are a great mom and just need a pick-me-up. We can totally empathize with how you are feeling and it's difficult so don't beat yourself up. Hugs.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review