All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New here. Need urgent advice
      #308056 - 05/28/07 09:44 AM
plo66

Reged: 05/28/07
Loc: Iowa

Hello. It is nice to meet everyone. I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago and I have been suffering ever since. I have the diarreah end of it and have take liquid medication to control it. But the worse part is I have extreme bloating. It is so bad my stomach expands way out and it makes me look like I am pregnant. Which I am not. This happens every time I eat. I have gained 60 pounds and I am just so depressed I don't know what to do. I haven't been able to get a job because of it. Does anyone know of any prescription medication out there to minimize bloating? I have tried everything over the counter and nothing works. I can't stand living like this anymore. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here. Need urgent advice new
      #308057 - 05/28/07 10:45 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I am IBS with constipation, but I can sympathize with the bloating problem. It's unbelievable sometimes how much my belly expands! Even my sides!

Are you fructose sensitive? That's my big trigger. All that extra un-assimilated sugar ferments everything in my gut and the result is expanding (and trapped) GASES. I have tried to add back some fruit since following the IBS diet--but it still causes problems. I'm most comfortable when I just leave fruit out of my diet.

I don't know much about anti-bloating meds.

Welcome to this forum--the information is extensive and the folks are a great support.

C

#308059 - 05/28/07 04:03 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Is it possible you have candida overgrowth? Your symptoms seem to match.

#308062 - 05/28/07 06:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome. Tons of us here have fought that terrible bloating. I can't remember I bought pants that weren't stretch or elastic or two sizes too big.

One of the best things you can do is so utterly simple: fennel tea. Take some fennel seeds, and put a teaspoon or two in a mug of boiling water. You can crush them up with a knife a bit or a mortar and pestle and put them in a tea strainer. It tastes like licorice. I hate the taste, but plug my nose and swallow it down.

Also, I find that peppermint tea really helps with all the diarrhea. Strong hot cups several times a day. It really does make a difference.

Also, make sure you try Heather's diet. Be very strict for a few days. Lots of soluble fibre, be very careful with your insolubles and avoid all triggers.

Eat several small meals a day, to keep yourself from getting hungry. Also, get active. Even a small 10 minute stroll after meals can be really helpful with digestion.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#308063 - 05/28/07 07:08 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

How did you find out you were fructose sensitive? Does this mean you have to eliminate all fruits from your diet or do you tolerate some of them?
I am wondering if my daughter who has special needs and is IBS-C could be fructose sensitive?
Is there a specific test for it.
Thank you. Hope to hear from you.

#308064 - 05/28/07 07:23 PM
moonstar

Reged: 05/27/07

I don't know how many people know this but the herb, Stevia is a wonderful sweetner that I use all of the time! I have suffered with IBS ever since I had my gallbladder out over 30 years ago. Heather's diet is excellent! I have studied holistic health and am a certified practitioner but it seems over the years that sometimes my holistic treatments would work and sometimes not. Heather's diet makes perfect sence!

At any rate, I use KAL brand stevia powder to sweeten up my teas and it's wonderful! It may seem pricey but a $12.00 bottle will last me about 3 to 6 months. It is so worth it! It is great for cereal and baking too. Nothing artificial and Stevia is beneficial for the body.

I like to make a large teacup full with one peppermint & spearmint teabag and one fennel teabag, which you can buy in your local whole foods market. Sweeten it up with stevia and it tastes wonderful and keeps those horrible symptoms away!

Re: Fruits-for TeresaLouise new
      #308067 - 05/28/07 09:38 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I don't know if there's a test for fructose sensitivity. There have been several threads here recently where people who are more knowledgeable than I ---are discussing fructose.

For me, I have just noticed the association between eating fruit and getting terribly bloated and gassy from it. This has been going on since 1981. It has gotten worse since I've gotten older, too. I used to be able to eat fruit now and then, as long as I ate it totally by itself--didn't mix it with any other foods.

I've been trying to add fruit back--since starting with Heather's IBS diet--a half banana or 3-4 strawberries (from our garden). But even that seems to cause bloat and gas. It's hardly worth it. I just can't figure out a way to eat fruits that doesn't cause me trouble.

I definitely can't eat oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes or raisins, prunes, pears, apples, apricots--even blended, peeled or pureed. I use lemon and lime juice for flavoring OK. I love fresh figs, and haven't given them up yet.

C

Fructose malabsorption new
      #308072 - 05/29/07 05:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Fructose malabsorption is a dietary disability of the small intestine. Fructose malabsorption is quite common in IBS population.

Fructose malabsorption can be detected using a breath test. However, frequently it is diagnosed by excluding fruits, juices and other foods high in fructose

Here is a recent scientific review article on fructose malabsorption and how to treat it. My GP found it quite interesting. I have adhered to a low fructoes diet for 2 years. It has made big difference in my ability to remain stable and manage pain

If you search this board you will find many posting on fructose malabsorption.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308168 - 05/30/07 05:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I also suffer from extreme bloating. It helps to get your gut into a more calm attitude by following the diet. The spasms you are suffering from twist everything in a bundle so to speak and only by getting them to stop can bloating be improved. Bloating is not really a symptom in itself for most people but a side effect of irritated bowels. There are things that will help, but it is my experience that the gut can keep things tight and 'twisty' for as long as it wants to and then let it go for no apparent reason. The things to do are:
drink a lot of fennel tea and drink a lot in general (make sure to always pee as soon as you have to because having to pee makes me bloated too)
get plenty of exercise and never sit too long
take a fiber supplement like acacia
eat small amounts very often
fart and poop as needed (if I did this my bloating might be gone)
don't wear clothes that are tight at the waist (even putting them on can cause bloating), low, loose waists are best or none at all
follow the diet really well, starting with the break the cycle diet- stay away from triggers like pop
don't chew gum or use a straw
don't take naps

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: New here. Need urgent advice
      #308212 - 05/31/07 08:37 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Thanks for the suggestions. Just wanted to note, though, that for some of us, fiber supplements increase bloat. I know they help control in is some....but many can't tolerate them.

Definitely worth a try though!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3002

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review