All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie Story
      #307874 - 05/23/07 12:07 PM
sylverdawn

Reged: 05/23/07
Loc: NH, USA

I am new to this site, but it is the best resource I have found online that explains what is likely going on with my body. Due to a lack of medical insurance and available resources, I haven't technically been diagnosed with IBS.

When my symptoms suddenly showed up a little over a year ago, I shrugged it off to stress (both work related and life in general) and never bothered to see my doctor. In the 7 months that followed, my symptoms, in general, didn't get any worse, but they didn't get better either. Then when some things changed at work, and my stress level sky-rocketed, they started to get a bit worse...more frequent...yet I still didn't see the doctor. [I don't have much faith in the doctor's in my area (mid-western New Hampshire) as I have had issues with having other problems shrugged off as "all in my head"...they never really listen.] Anyway, my thoughts were that it was still stress related. After an additional 3.5 months of work hell, (I was very unhappy with my job anyway), I resigned...deciding to try and find something that I would really enjoy going to work to do. However, despite the significantly decreased stress level, my symptoms have not gone away or have they gotten any better.

Finally, last week (after a 3 month "vacation"), I realized that it's not just stress and made an appointment with a doctor. She has had me do stool samples (still waiting for results) and wants me to have a $2000 test done. My problem is that I have no insurance, don't dare get a job right now, and can't afford to have that test done... I know that it's important to rule out other causes of chronic diarrhea, but *sigh*

After my doctor's visit last week, during which she mentioned that IBS was a very likely possibility based on my symptoms, I did some more checking online...and finally found HelpForIBS.com. Over the weekend, I made a few dietary adjustments following the guidelines stated on this site. And while, my symptoms aren't entirely gone...my BMs are much closer to "normal" (before last year) and there isn't as much urgency to them as before, so I feel like I have more freedom already.

I apologize for the length of this post (as well as if I put it in the wrong category), but I wanted to say thank you for this very informative and straight forward site as well as putting my story out there for any suggestions, tips, comments...

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey, welcome! new
      #307893 - 05/23/07 06:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Glad you found us, and really glad you're feeling better!

I was in pretty much the same situation as you when I first found the site - in terms of insurance and whatnot, that is. Actually, if you want to get really technical, I've still not ever been formally diagnosed with IBS - I'm now covered under a limited type of Medicaid, and a lot of things aren't covered, so diagnostic tests are pretty much out unless it's an emergency. A real crock. Don't even get me started on the state of health care in this country! LOL

Anyway. You aren't alone.

Re: Hey, welcome! new
      #307904 - 05/24/07 12:44 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

You can in America not be insured for healthcare?? Oh my god, that is terrible! Here you have to be insured, otherwise you have to go to jail, so this sort of things dont happen.

I hope you find a way to do some of the tests so you know more certain if its IBS and if it is, dont worry, its manageble tho i didnt believe that when i got the disease either.

Anyway, welcome and i hope it all works out for you!

Re: Newbie Story new
      #307918 - 05/24/07 09:00 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Welcome, and I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better already. :-)

If I could only afford one test toward a diagnosis, it would be a colonoscopy... it doesn't rule out everything, but it can eliminate a lot of causes for your symptoms (such as cancer, colitis, physical abnormalities of the intestine, physical injury to the colon). For me, the best thing was knowing that the problem wasn't colon cancer. Just throwing this out there as food for thought... even with insurance the tests can still be pricey, so I feel your pain on that! <commisserating>

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: Newbie Story new
      #307952 - 05/24/07 08:23 PM
sylverdawn

A colonoscopy is the test my doctor wants me to get...if I had $2000 to spare or a job and insurance I would get it done, but for now it will have to wait.

Thankfully I don't have any family history of Colon cancer nor any other symptoms that can indicate it (other than the diarrhea that lead me to this site).

Re: Hey, welcome! new
      #307953 - 05/24/07 08:27 PM
sylverdawn

Oh I know how that is... I've dealt with Medicaid before and it's hardly worth the hassle it takes to get it. And I could certainly agree with your unstated opinions on US healthcare. Perhaps it will change...some day *sigh*

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1471

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review