All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some advice
      #307686 - 05/21/07 05:16 AM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Okay, I am an IBS-A. I alternate between bouts of constipation and diarrhea. Well, for months I have been doing much better as I've been taking Citrucel daily as well as Beano before problem foods. It's been amazing. I've also been exercising at least 20-30 mins most days. Well, I did not change any of my habits and all of a sudden the past few days I have been constipated, even while taking Citrucel AND Beano (Beano has really helped me break down foods)... well I am still constipated, so yesterday I bought Ex-Lax and there is a "guarantee" that it should work in at least 12 hours or less... but here I am over 12 hours later and I still have no relief. I will cramp up terribly and feel like I need to have a bowel movement, but then nothing happens. So my question is, for those of us with IBS is this "normal"? or do I need to go to the doctor? A friend of mine suggested I go to the doctor b/c this could be dangerous to my system but she doesn't have IBS so I just wondered what advice I could get from some of you who are experienced. I called into work today and told them I was not going in. These cramps get intense and then lessen and when I'm sitting on the toilet trying to make something happen I cramp up more and feel weak while I'm pushing. Sorry if TMI... I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice new
      #307735 - 05/21/07 01:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There's no such thing as TMI here. LOL

If you still haven't had a BM, and you feel like you can leave the house long enough to dash to the drugstore, pick up some glycerin suppositories. I'm definitely not endorsing them as something you should use all the time - they're a laxative - but where you already took one, the damage is done, so to speak.

I've taken laxatives in the past and had them not work at all - I don't know how "normal" that is, but there ya go.

Re: Need some advice new
      #307778 - 05/22/07 07:25 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

I'm IBS P/C. I know those painful spasms all too well. I have an episode at least twice a month. I follow Heather's diet, take a peppermint capsule every morning, I'm up to 3 teaspoons of acacia daily, exercise at least 3x a week and I still suffer. I've just started the hypno tapes. So we'll see. The only thing that helps me get through the episodes is a hot water bottle, and my Rx of Donnatal extended release tabs. They don't take the pain away, but mellows me out so I'm better able to get through the waves of spasms. You are not alone. The feeling like you have to have a bm and nothing happens hour after hour is awful. I wish there was something else I could share with you to help. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 798

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review