All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lexapro
      #307660 - 05/20/07 05:45 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

For anyone who has tried Lexapro for anxiety, I was just wondering how you tolerated it. Did it cause any stomach upset or intestinal discomfort? And have people found it a better choice than prozac?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lexapro new
      #307669 - 05/20/07 08:29 PM
mmasseychase

Reged: 03/18/07
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Teresa,

I am into about week 8 on Lex so I thought I'd share my experience. I have a particularly sensitive gastric/digestive system so I did experience nausea, loss of appetite and some D for the first 2 weeks on Lex. These days my IBS symptoms have settled right down and keep improving with my dosage increases. I can't compare to Prozac as I've only tried Cipramil (Celexa) and Zoloft in the past. Lex seems to be working well for me so far though I've just increased to the max dose (20mg) so will see how that lasts over the next 4 weeks.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
What doesn't kill you makes only makes you stronger; I just hope this doesn't actually kill me.

#307673 - 05/20/07 09:16 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I've considered going on Lexapro.
My symptoms are trapped g, bloating, and C, and I have AS with OCD and anxiety.

I have been on every SSRI but Lexapro.
The problem is side effects, Zoloft and Prozac got me aggiated and wired, Celexia had me restless and didn't seem to work that much, while Luvox helped but made me more C.

I was told Lexapro is pretty much Celexia with a higher co pay and thus why I have not been prescribed.
I wanted to know how they compare and if given my IBS and other symptoms if it's worth it or not.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#307682 - 05/21/07 03:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

When I first started it, I had some D and nausea, but that went away within a week. It's been smooth sailing ever since - I've been on Lexapro for almost 3 years now. It's worked SO well for my anxiety that I've never had any need to try any other medication, so I can't help you with the Prozac comparison.

#307708 - 05/21/07 10:13 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

All I can caution is that the lexapro make me more c which is what I wanted b/c I was a d. However, now that I can eat lots of IF and my bms are fine. As far as the dizziness/weirdness feeling goes, I only had it in the beginning while adjusting. I have none whatsoever now and I thoroughly enjoy its benefits (10mg).

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#313702 - 08/22/07 08:52 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

This is an old post but just in case any one needs it- I found Topamax and Cymbalta to be better for IBS-D. Both have high noted side effects of constipation. I had Lexapro when I first start experimenting with the head med cocktails- you need to look at the Paper that comes with the meds from the manufacturer. There is always a section for "Adverse Reactions". This will show you how many people took the meds and what their symptoms were. Keep in mind that they may not be IBS patients but just Joe-Shmoes. But if 55 people in 159 had D or C from the meds- you should take that into consideration...
Words for thoughts...

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review