Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fructose sensitivity?
      #307659 - 05/20/07 05:45 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hi All,
I hope someone can give me some advice on this. I suspect I have a fructose sensitivity. I rarely eat fruit, except for bananas, applesauce, and canned peaches. I use table sugar for sweetening of my tea and in fresh baked quick breads. I heard that table sugar is about half glucose and half fructose. I want to eliminate fructose from my diet for a while and see if I have and changes in my tummy. Can I still use table sugar and brown sugar, or do I have to find pure glucose (if they even have it)?? Is there another type of sugar that does not contain fructose??
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fructose sensitivity? new
      #307667 - 05/20/07 07:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Fructose sensitivity or malabsorption is the inability of your gut to handle fructose that is excess compared to glucose.

White and brown sugar have equal amounts of fructose and glucose. There isn't any excess fructose. You can still use table sugar.

Fruits such as apples, pears, mangos, melons and their juices contain more fructose than glucose. Berries and their juices tend to contain more glucose than fructose. Other fruits that are okay for fructose sensitive individuals are kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, orange, tangelo, ripe banana, jackfruit, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, pineapple, rhubarb, tamarillo. Apricots, nectarines, peaches and plums are okay but the contain sorbitol which is a problem for some people.

The amount of excess fructose that an individual can handle varies. Some individuals can handle more than 50 grams while others like myself have difficulty with foods that contains 2 or so more grams of fructose than glucose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#307668 - 05/20/07 08:28 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I have been experiencing sugar sensitivity lately. I think I always have.. and both my parents are type two diabetes. In any case, there are some sugar substitutes. One really amazing one is Stevia, you can by it at health food stores. It stabilizes blood sugar and it is really sweet (a tad bit bitter) and good for you. Other substitues are honey, maple syrip, and agave nectar. I think agave is the less of the evils of all of these...
I have heard about the connection between Candida and IBS... people with Candida have sensitivity to sugar, just so you know!

#307704 - 05/21/07 09:28 AM
meimei

A huge thank you to you for giving me options that I CAN eat, rather than just things to avoid! You are very helpful. What a relief I can still use sugar!!

#307712 - 05/21/07 10:35 AM
meimei

What about corn syrup? Not HFCS, just plain corn syrup.

#307716 - 05/21/07 10:42 AM
Syl

Pure corn syrup contains between 20% and 98% glucose syrup and no other sugars. Another name for corn syrup is glucose syrup.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#307743 - 05/21/07 03:31 PM
Syl

A more comprehensive list of things not to eat is available in this message.. The reference has more detailed advice about the diet used to manage fructose malabsorption.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review