Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Been awhile.....
      #307600 - 05/19/07 03:46 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
I wanted to post an update after almost 3 months trying to get a working menu and lifestyle with IBS. Originally the problem was painful diarrhea and many hours afterwards doubled up in bed. Then 3 or 4 days of no stool which was a relief but then I would pass a difficult stool and spend the rest of the day eventually ending up with the painful diarrhea again.

So after finding this blessed website I read as much as possible here and also ordered the Acacia Powder. It's been alot of trial error but have managed to get myself having a reasonably normal stool every 48 hours.

I am limited on food selection but that is okay.
Basically it's fish, chicken breasts(no skin)absolutely no beef. Veggies are okay but they have to be steamed or boiled with no skins or seeds.
Everyday I have baked or boiled potatoes, white or yellow or pasta. I love rice too so I never feel hungry. I eat egg white omelets 3 times a week.
Since I am lactose intolerant, no dairy.
I have been able to re-introduce bran cereal but it's been very, very slow going with that. I have found 1/2 tsp. twice a day of acacia powder works for me.

I do have a question regarding the bran cereal. 1/3 C. of the cereal has 13 grams of fiber: 3 grams soluble, 10 grams insoluble.
How much total insoluble fiber do we need each day?
I have the cereal at the end of the day and always after having my dose of acacia and some other soluble fiber.
It's absolutely true that with patience and following much of the excellent advice here, you can get your life back enjoying it instead of the opposite.
Virag;)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Generally, do you tend to be IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? -nt- new
      #307601 - 05/19/07 04:06 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Generally, do you tend to be IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? -nt- new
      #307609 - 05/19/07 07:41 PM
virag

Hi Syl,
Well that's an interesting question, sort of that what came first the chicken or the egg thing.
I guess it's IBS-D but not sure I have diagnosed it exactly. THe doctor just said IBS.
Basically after several days, usually about 3 or 4 I will pass a normal stool..within an hour of that will develop cramps and bloating and pass a looser stool. More cramps/spasms and now it's very loose/watery and getting less. By then I am emptied out. I will have pain and bloating sometimes keeping me in bed for 12 hours.
The positive thing is I know I will have 3 or 4 days of relief until it happens again.

Now that does not happen anymore. I must stick to the routine or trouble starts though. I have had a few attacks even with the routine but they occur during some stressful times. But it hasn't been anything like before.
Virag:)

Re: Been awhile..... new
      #307626 - 05/20/07 07:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The daily recommended allowance for dietary fibre (i.e. IF, SF and resistant starches) is 20-30 grams/day. (NOTE: resistant starches act like SF). This is equivalent to about 10-15 teaspoons of fibre. There is no recommended amount for the individual types of fibre.

Many IBS-D suffers report that they cannot handle alot of IF. I am predominantly IBS-D and I try to keep my SF intake equal to or less than the amount of IF. I definitely cannot eat any bran cereals. I find that when my IF is too high gas, bloating and D can return.

Remember that even if you peel your fruits and veggies you are still getting a considerable amount of IF. For example, a peeled medium sized apple contains about 2 grams of dietary fibre (0.3 grams SF and 1.8 IF) and an unpeeled medium size apple contains about 2.8 grams of dietary fibre (0.3 grams SF and 2.5 grams IF). Similarly, a peeled potato contains about 2 grams of dietary fibre (0.5 SF and 1.5 IF) while an unpeeld medium size potato contains about 5 grams of dietary fibre (1.2 grams SF and 3.8 IF). In addition cooked cool potatoes are also high in resistant starches which can add about 2-3 grams of equivalent SF.

Generally speaking increase your IF as high as you can handle while making sure your total dietary fibre intake is 20-30 grams/day. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#307628 - 05/20/07 08:25 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What's the name of the bran cereal?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#307645 - 05/20/07 12:32 PM
virag

Hi it's Kelloggs Bran Buds...since I cannot have dairy and soy is a no-no for those with thyroid issues, I boil water and pour it over the buds to soften them up a bit. I slice a little banana to sweeten it. Sounds awful I know but it works out for me....Virag:)

#307646 - 05/20/07 12:38 PM
virag

Hi Syl,
Thank you for all that info and was exactly what I wanted to know. One thing is that I do eat small portions of everything. When I was still healing, I was eating baby food fruits and veggies, the small jars. Even as I progressed I kept to baby food although graduated up in size and consistancy. The baby foods are excellent in a flare as you can use the cereals as well. I still eat the fruits they are tasty and handy.

Because of the reduced portions which I eat 5 times a day, I have lost 8 lbs., well a little more now but I am fine with that. It's really shown me that eating smaller meals spread over the day hours is healthier and more satisfying.
Virag;)

How much do you take? new
      #307729 - 05/21/07 12:17 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How much do you eat of the Bran Buds everyday? I need to try something new!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1390

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review