All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What's the culprit? ANY thoughts would be great!!
      #307326 - 05/15/07 10:18 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

You know, sometimes it seems like IBS is sort of akin to algebra. I mean, in algebra, they are always trying find out what "x" is, solving for the variable. With IBS, there are so many variables, so many possibilities in terms of factors that affect how we feel physically.

Ok, sorry for the dorky, intro. I was just trying to find an interesting way to start my post, lol. Here's the scenario: last week I was doing great, having normal BMs and not feeling any urgency. Then I got a sinus infection/cold on Wednesday, but still my IBS was fine (amazingly!). Then, starting Sunday, things went downhill. Since then, I've been having D and looser BMs. It's starting to scare me because I feel like I was back before I discovered this website and Heather's diet -- and it was really bad then.

However, there are a few factors to consider. First off, I was put on provera over a week ago to induce my period. Well, seven days later I still didn't get my period, although I got some more cramping and lower back pain, which usually come along with it. So could the hormones be messing with my IBS? Also, I started the hypno tapes Sunday night, and somehow they made me a little more anxious, because the next morning I had another attack. I hear this can be common, something to do with the subconscious rebelling, so I wanted to know if anyone else who has done the hypno experiences this? And if so, how long until you could stabilize again? I am doing the BTC diet since yesterday, and it seems to helping marginally, but not a great deal yet. Finally, last night I just switched to Lexapro from Zoloft. A lot of people have posted saying that initially they had looser BMs, but after a week that side effect went away and they benefitted. So maybe that's what is going on? Or could it be a combination of everything?

Again, I'm sorry for all the questions. And I know I need to have patience, and that it takes time. It's just that I was feeling so good last week, like things were finally getting under control, and then this setback has made my anxiety rear its ugly head again. I'm hoping that continuing with the hypno will help with the stress and anxiety. So, any advice about how to try and get back on track or replies to these questions would be HUGELY appreciated!!! Thank you once again for helping my sanity

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the culprit? ANY thoughts would be great!! new
      #307330 - 05/15/07 10:41 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

howdy,

I hated algebra, and I definitley hate Ibs as well...personally I enjoyed the analogy.

My guess is the slight backslide is a combination of all of those things you listed...With that much going on there really isn't anyway to tell what is causing things to become unstable..it could be something you havn't even thought of..not to make you more paranoid..lol

I have been doing the hypno for 30 days now, and have definitley seen a huge improvement..however the past week has been very off for me as well. I havn't been anywhere near as sick as I was two months ago (before I really buckled down with taking care of myself)but things are not as "good" as I would like them.

I would say as advice to myself and you, just relax, take it in stride and keep plugging on. It's hard to want to continue working really hard when things are going backwards. Remember how great you felt last week, and know that you will get back there...sooner than later...

Hope you feel better..

Shannon (ibs-d)

#307392 - 05/16/07 06:16 AM
caputsky

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know things will get better, it just takes some time. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing some of the "fun" initial side effects of switching to the Lexapro. I just keep telling myself that they are only temporary, they won't last, and in the long run it will be ok. I am certainly better off than I was two months ago, so I try to focus on that. I just wish that there was this magic medical scan that could scan my body and say "Ok, the reason you're feeling bad is because your hormones are crazy." or "that sinus infection is affecting your stomach also." Too bad we don't live in the world of Harry Potter, lol! But thanks again for the words of encouragement, they meant so much to me

Julie

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#307399 - 05/16/07 09:25 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't vouch for any hypno-related side effects, because I never did the hypno. But I can DEFINITELY vouch for the Lexapro! The first few days of Lexapro, for me, were like a really bad IBS flare. Not to scare you or anything - don't stop taking it! - the benefits of sticking with it through the unpleasantness far outweigh a few days of ick!

The hormones of the provera could definitely be messing with you too - if you ever have period-related IBS difficulties, that might even be your more likely culprit than the Lexapro.

Either way, all you can really do is continue to eat safely, avoid trigger foods like the plague, and wait it out. If you're having D, try some Imodium to get through it. If you're crampy, bust out that heating pad. I know it sounds easier said than done, but do try to relax and not stress about it - remind yourself that it IS temporary and you WILL feel better again. You WILL. And staying positive is a huge help, too.

Hang in there!

#307406 - 05/16/07 11:00 AM
caputsky

Thanks Casey,

I am experiencing some of the initial side effects from the Lexapro (loose BMs, a little nausea, headache, tiredness) but I'm hoping that they will go away over the next couple days. Right now I am sticking with the BTC diet mostly, and taking Immodium only as absolutely necessary. Since my period didn't come like it was supposed to, my GYN put me on another round of Provera, at a stronger dosage than before. So that might also start to effect my stomach again. Unfortunately, in order to determine if I have PCOS I have to have my period when they do bloodwork...there's always some catch with modern medicine, isn't there . But you're right, I think it will get better. Right now I'm focusing on taking it one moment at a time and not stressing. Today I'm feeling better, and I'm not sure if its due to the hypno or to the fact that I took a great yoga class last night. Either way (and its probably a bit of both) I am slowly improving. So thanks once again for your advice and support, its been great!

Julie

--------------------

#307445 - 05/16/07 06:01 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Don't worry. It all sounds normal to me and I wouldn't be concerned about the IBS rearing it's head. It is very likely the lexapro. I had terrible d and cramps when I started and I was thinking, "oh..this is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I want..." but it will definitely pass and be SOOO worth it if you just hang in there (at least 10 days to two weeks for the initial symtoms of adjusting but much longer for the positive results...for me about 6 weeks).

It is ALSO likely the hormones from the menstrual hormones...it makes sense b/c so many of us are adversely affected during that time of the month. Even my "normal" friends have d during that time.

It is ALSO possible about the hypno having an affect. I did the 100 days and at the beginning I found myself freaking out while listening to the tapes...unfocused, anxious, unable to listen to Mike and stay calm. I'm sure that wasn't a good start right before going to sleep but there must be some subconscious reason for it. This too shall pass. (Try posting on the hypno board for more info on this.)

So like you said, yes, the dreaded algebra. Personally I was very good at it so hopefully that gives me a leg up with my IBS variables. lol Stick with all you are doing and keep a good diet so that you don't have to make yourself crazy about what you are eating too and add that question to the mix. Good luck!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1194

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review