All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
splenda and carbonated drinks
      #307146 - 05/13/07 06:40 PM
EmilyM

Reged: 05/13/07
Loc: Chicago, IL

I've read that splenda bothers some people and not others. I don't think I've ever had a problem with it, but then again, I could never tell what was making me sick anyway. I don't know if I could give it up - I use it in tea, baking, oatmeal, etc. Also, I don't know how I can wean myself off of caffeine. I can't drink coffee (makes me sick immediately), but I do drink a cup or two of tea a day, and I have to have a diet coke at lunch or I get huge headaches. I've been drinking things like diet sprite in the afternoons instead of another diet coke, but now I'm reading that this may be bad too. I don't usually have problems with gas, just D, so could some carbonated drinks be ok? (Sorry this is long, I'm struggling with changing my eating habits 180 degrees)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: splenda and carbonated drinks new
      #307149 - 05/13/07 07:10 PM
JenMcD

Reged: 04/28/07
Loc: Rochester, NY

I just have to say that I'm fairly new to all these diet and lifestyle changes too. I definitely had a hard time with nutrasweet and I always thought I did better with splenda. Since giving it up, though, I've noticed a huge difference. I'm an IBS-A with lots of G & B, so carbonation is out totally! It makes me sad because I've been a coke/diet coke drinker all of my life. Now it's just water and mint tea and I can't believe how UN-gassy I can actually be. Maybe you can use less splenda and see if it changes anything. I know what you mean about giving up caffeine...way too hard, but weaning down to one cup of coffee in the AM has helped.

#307154 - 05/13/07 08:38 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Oh you have so many no-no's in your diet. Please eliminate all possible triggers and that includes splenda, any artificial sweetner, tea, and pops or sodas, and dairy if you consume any.
There are other herbal tea alternatives to black, or caffeinated teas.

help!! new
      #307155 - 05/13/07 08:41 PM
EmilyM

Oh man, this is overwhelming. I can try to cut down on caffeine, but does anyone know of a way to do it slowly? I get huge headaches if I don't have any caffeine in a day and that can be just as disruptive as the IBD symptoms. I bought some peppermint tea, but should I add regular sugar instead of splenda? I have some issues with insulin resistance so I have been taught to avoid sugar at all costs. Help - I'm so confused!

Re: help!! new
      #307156 - 05/13/07 08:49 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I prefer the peppermint flavor on its own with no sugar added. I used to drink all teas with sugar, but I've cut it out. Since you have insulin resistance issues, you should choose foods that are lower on the glycemic index. I'm don't know how you can gradually reduce your caffeine intake. I think you might have to quit cold turkey and deal with the headaches for a few days.

#307173 - 05/14/07 05:31 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

How about switching to ice tea in the afternoons? That still gives you your caffeine fix without the soda. Do you use tea bags or loose tea? The way I switched to decaf was by switching to loose tea (it's usually a higher quality BTW). That way, I could use both regular and decaf in the tea infuser. I started out with 3/4 regular, 1/4 decaf, then a couple days later half and half, then a couple days later 1/4regular and 3/4 decaf, then a couple days later all decaf. It will take longer for your tummy to show improvement this way, but it was much more comfortable than going "cold turkey". I also did the same with Splenda. Every couple of days, I tried to add less and less, to get used to the unsweetned taste. I find that flavored teas are better unsweetened than plain black tea. I really like decaf Tropics tea from www.adagio.com for iced tea. It really needs no sweetener.

Try other natural sweeteners. new
      #307182 - 05/14/07 07:50 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

You could try stevia to sweeten your tea.
www.sweetleaf.com

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Re: Try other natural sweeteners. new
      #307186 - 05/14/07 08:25 AM
EmilyM

Is Stevia "safe" for IBS? I was reading that it was banned by the EU and Canada due to its questionable toxicity and that worried me...

Re: help!! new
      #307201 - 05/14/07 09:27 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I'm right there with you on the coke. I used to drink 4-5 cans of coke a day and brought myself down to 1-2. When I finally gave it up a few months ago, I had the horrible headaches for a few weeks. Tylenol became my best friend. It's worth giving up though, remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I drink only herbal teas (with no sugar) and water now. The only other thing is a glass of cranberry-grape juice at night when I take my miralax. It's the only way I get it down.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Re: Try other natural sweeteners. new
      #307237 - 05/14/07 03:31 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Stevia is an herb, not an artificial sweetener. Can't see how it would be any worse than the "un"-natural chemicals we drink in our sodas Google it if you want more info. I really like it myself. Any artificial sweetener really bothers me now. Almost immediately I get stomach cramps followed by D within a few hours if I have that stuff now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review