Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Increased heartburn/GERD?
      #306978 - 05/10/07 12:52 PM
Aridane

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Hi! I am brand-new to the board and I have a pretty important question:

I have been following Eating for IBS for 4 days now and I am loving it. It did not take long at all for my bowel issues to stabilize, but now I am having a different problem. I am having increased heartburn and problems with my acid reflux. I have read as much as I could about this problem, yet I can't seem to find what exactly triggered this extra acid. I am going to list what I ate yesterday (when this problem first occured) and maybe someone will be able to see what I can't.
Breakfast: Rice & corn chex mixed with rice milk

Lunch: Sandwich. I used thick white bread, a small amount of mustard, two leaves of greenleaf lettuce, two thin tomato slices and reduced-fat turkey breast. And a bottled water.

(Now that I am considering it, it may have been the sandwich, but I was really careful to use a tiny bit of mustard and tomato...)

Afternoon snack: 2 pieces Twizzlers candy and a glass of iced green tea.

Dinner: By this time, I was very uncomfortable with the reflux and heartburn, so I just had one large toasted bagel and some water for dinner. No spread or anything on the bagel - I was sort of hoping that the bread would "soak up" some of the acid in my tummy.)

After dinner: 1 slice of thick white bread and another glass of green tea.

All night last night I had problems with reflux and heartburn. I already take a prescription med for GERD and I took 8 tums last night, but to no avail. Even this morning, when I had 2 bananas for breakfast, I am still having some heartburn that is uncomfortable. I hate to sound stupid - maybe I am missing something! I usually would have eaten a boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner - is there a possibility that the protein would have settled the acid?

Anyone who has any tips, tricks or ideas for me - I would greatly appreciate the advice. I have several different health problems and this is the first way of eating that seems like I can really 'do'. I brought one of Heather's books in to my doc and she gave her okay for me to eat the IBS way.
FYI: I am one of those people who enjoys cooking, but I can't do it often because of physical challenges.
Literally - any advice anyone can give would be so welcome and so very appreciated. I hope that there are lots of others out there who are finding great success with these books - I know they are so wonderful to me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Increased heartburn/GERD? new
      #306989 - 05/10/07 03:44 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I have IBS with acid reflux as well. I'm still new to IBS, like you, but I've been struggling with GERD for over four years. How long have you had reflux? I'm sure your doctor has already told you this, and you probably do it, but make sure you wait a good half an hour before eating after you take your reflux meds. What med are you on? I take Prevacid, which works pretty well, but everyone is different. In terms of your diet from yesterday, I would say the main culprit is the sandwich. Personally, the biggest GERD trigger for me is either caffeine (which I ABSOLUTELY stay away from) or citrus, and in particular tomatoes. I haven't been able to eat any tomatoes, raw or cooked, in years without having heartburn, and that's even on my meds. The mustard might have contributed as well. Otherwise, it might be just your body's way of adjusting to the IBS diet. From what I've read on these boards and the advice of others who have suffered for longer, your body does need time to adjust to your new way of life. The reflux may be your body's way of saying "hold on, what's going on here." Which sucks, certainly, and I feel your pain. But if that's the case, then it'll most likely get better. My other advice in terms of heartburn is not to eat late (never within an hour of bedtime), and elevate your head when you sleep. I hope some of this helps you -- feel better and good luck!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#307012 - 05/10/07 07:23 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

It is a very individual thing but for me the iced green tea would cause reflux for me. Was it really cold? I can't drink ice cold drinks, they have to be room temperature. Iced tea used to be my favourite drink and my GI told me to cut it out immediately because of the caffiene. I have yet to try making my own herbal iced tea. The raw tomoatoes would also cause a problem for me.
Hope you feel better soon,
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#307034 - 05/11/07 06:53 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Aridane: I also have severe GERd, hmmmm I wonder from all the other posts if this relates to our IBS, but I had GERD for years. I can only tell you what I personally have found. The mustard and tomatoe are bad, I know because I did the same the other day. Got home had a nice turkey breast sandwich but no mayo so I put a little mustard on it, regular yellow mustard and then had a small piece of tomoate. Sure enough an hour later my food was refluxing right back up. I also found that if I drink a lot of acidic drinks, tea or juices it bothers me. Now I do drink some, especially hot teas lately for my tummy. I'm not sure about the Twizzlers since I've never ate them but that may also trigger. I find that eating smaller meals helps a lot. Sometimes I may have to eat half my sandwich and then a couple of hours eat the other half in order to keep my GERD in check. I too have tried the bread trick and it does not seem to help.
Hope this helps since this can quite distressing at times. Oh yeah, I have tried the Maalox for "breakthrough heartburn" and it seems to helps better than anything else. I also take prescription meds so I use this to supplement.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review