All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
would love some feedback!
      #306838 - 05/08/07 05:46 PM
Margaret60

Reged: 05/08/07
Loc: Pennsylvania

I've had ibs for 35 years...I am 46. It was debilitating during my school years and interfered with my professional life...you know the story. To complicate things I was treated for ulcerative colitis back in the early 90's. This was successful but then in past several years I have had several bouts of diverticulitis...fever..rushed to hospital and treated with antibiotics. No surgery yet. Since the diverticulits I believe my bowels have essentially shut down. It feels as if the electrical impulses from my brain don't allow the intestines to work. So I would have long bouts of constipation with violent episodes of cramping and diarreah as my body needed to expel everything. Doctor (GI) and family doc could not help. They kept telling me to use fibre and eat high fibre and I only got worse.

Last year I discovered the website and began using Acacia and Fennel tea as well as peppermint tea when sick. I try to use the diet and do pretty well. These things are changing my life...my husband can't get over how I can actually eat out now without getting violently ill for days afterwards.

Currently, I am less constipated and have dramatically less sick days. Now, however, I am having several small bowel movements a day...sometimes every time I go to the bathroom. I feel like my bowels are coming back to life but I am aiming for just one or two bowel movements a day. I take about two to three teaspoons of acacia a day....when I increase it i get gassy. Maybe I increase too much. I drink two cups fennel tea a day. I can eat only small amount of insoluble fibre and absolutely not grains or seeds.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. I have never been able to discuss this so openly and I am grateful.

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: would love some feedback! new
      #306870 - 05/09/07 08:27 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi Margaret60 and welcome. I am 46 and have had IBS since my early teens, too. I know how much it interferes with all aspects of life. I am sorry about your complications - I can identify with that, too, as I have had major abdominal surgery and have an extra loop of colon which causes problems - also suspected endometriosis. You don't say exactly how long you've been following the diet and taking Acacia. I started both in October last year, and although I have seen a lot of improvements, I still have some way to go before I can call myself stable. I avoid harsh fibres like whole grains and seeds and I am quite cautious with IF, although I am a C, because I get a lot of pain and bloating if I have too much IF. It's hard to get the balance right; also stress, tiredness and hormones are major triggers for me.

I would just like to encourage you to continue with the diet if you are seeing definite positive changes - it does take time. In my opinion, I think the longer you have had IBS, the longer it takes your body to adjust to normality. As for the Acacia, everybody is different. I currently take 2 tbsp. I did increase up to 3 at one point, because I was on constipating meds, but I do fine on 2 now. I increased VERY gradually. Hope that helps - keep feeling better!

Re: would love some feedback!/Rio new
      #306987 - 05/10/07 03:40 PM
Margaret60

Reged: 05/08/07
Loc: Pennsylvania

Rio, thanks for the reply. I only started the diet about 5-6 months ago. You had mentioned endometriosis..I had a total hysterectomy at 27 for endo. So I have been told that I have adhesions which have narrowed the colon...doesn't help! As far as the acacia...When you increase it do you just add more per serving or take more individual servings? I only take 2-3 teaspoons a day and would like to work up to about 3 tablespoons or so.

--------------------
Blessings to you!

#307040 - 05/11/07 08:22 AM
Rio

Hi Margaret60 - seems like we have quite a lot in common as well as age! Various doctors have agreed with me (always off the record!) that post-surgical adhesions cause a lot of my pain. After getting my IBS 'officially' diagnosed last year, I pushed for a gynae referral to see if I have endo, too. I get a lot of pelvic pain linked to my lower bowel every month, too. Anyway, I see a gynae doctor next Tuesday. I find it so frustrating that doctors don't seem able to see us as whole people, with maybe more than just one thing wrong with us! Personally, I think my IBS-C, which is pain-predominant, is a lot more painful due to the pulling of the adhesions and probably endo, too.

So sorry that you had to have a total hysterectomy at such a young age. It must have been very traumatic, not just the surgery, but being plunged into the menopause. Can I ask if your adhesions were a result of this surgery, or scarring from endo? I think that I have narrowing of the colon, too, as I get alot of trapped gas, which is extremely painful and difficult to move along at all.

About the Acacia... I increased it by adding a little more per serving, taking three individual servings per day. I kept a record of exactly how much I added e.g. a quarter of a tsp. I would start adding this to my first dose, then after a few days, add the same to my second dose etc. I take one dose before breakfast, one when I get home from work (about 4 pm) and one before bed. I think it is better to spread the dose like this. You could even spread it over 4 doses. It took me quite a while to work up to 3 tablespoons. But as I said, I have been able to go down to 2 tablespoons when I came off amitriptyline (Elavil)recently.

Hope that helps - God bless.

#307053 - 05/11/07 10:15 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

Hi, I have IBS-C (about 6 years) and diverticulitis (diagnosed 2 months ago). I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 (now 35) due to endo. and had not read about that being a factor in all this. What exactly does your doctor think about them being related. I do still have my ovaries but have been through menopause.

#307075 - 05/12/07 03:34 AM
Rio

Hi CMW - It was actually a nutritionist helping me with IBS who suggested that endo could be contributing to my pain, as I have a lot of the symptoms. That's why I went to my doctor for a proper diagnosis. He seemed to dismiss my concerns over the endo, as he said I was near menopause at 46, and referred me to the gastro dr at the hospital. After the usual tests etc, he diagnosed IBS (which I know I have had since my teens). He didn't seem interested in the connection between my endo symptoms and IBS either. So I changed my GP, got one who listened to me, and referred me to a gynae dr. I am seeing him on Tuesday, so I'll let you know what happens.

As for the connection between IBS and endo, I have done lots of research on the web and it seems that quite a few women with endo also have IBS and digestive problems.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review