All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bloating & gas
      #306750 - 05/07/07 03:56 PM
hockeymom714

Reged: 05/07/07

My husband has had IBS for many years. We've been following Heather's diet plan for about a month now and he's seems to be getting his system regulated, but can't seem to get the bloating and gas under control, which creates a lot of pain and discomfort. He's taking the peppermint caps & fennel caps and drinking both teas, but has not seen any relief. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating & gas new
      #306793 - 05/08/07 08:21 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Is your husband "C"? I am, and the bloating and gas is always worse even when I'm a wee bit constipated. I do best in the bloat and gas department when I have at least 2 BM's a day. Anything "in there" and it just backs up, producing the gas and bloat.

Suggestions: try smaller portions/ meals more often. Don't eat fruits with meals--give plenty of time for them to get digested before eating starches, meats, veggies--anything. Don't eat fruits with soy or soymilk.

Do exercise that "works on your intestinal contents" or turns them "upside down." For me, that means shoulder stands, head stands, abdominal massage, etc. Sometimes it seems there's some subtle blockage in there, and the exercise gets it moving again--relieving the gas and bloating.

Lying on your left side helps, too. Encourage him to go into a closed room, relax, lie on his side, and pass gas!

C

Re: Bloating & gas new
      #306806 - 05/08/07 10:27 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

A heating pad on my stomach seems to help me.

But.... new
      #306815 - 05/08/07 01:55 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Don't eat fruits with meals--give plenty of time for them to get digested before eating starches, meats, veggies--anything. Don't eat fruits with soy or soymilk.

We are suppose to eat fruit only after eating a soluble fiber source.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: But.... new
      #306839 - 05/08/07 05:47 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I know that's the recommendation in the IBS diet book, but this is something I have noticed for myself, anyway (I DO have trouble with fruit). The fructose plus slow digestion/ elimination alway starts fermentation/ gas/ bloating.

The the "food combination" thing: not to combine foods that digest quickly like fruit with ones that take longer, like bread, meat, etc.

I find I can tolerate rice milk and white rice with fruits (both are quickly digested).

Just something to consider.

Another food combination I've avoided over the years: beans and wheat--they really interfere with each other. Beans and corn (as in corn tortillas)--good; beans and wheat (as in white flour tortillas)---bad, extra gassy.

I don't know if any of this holds true for anybody else, though--this was just my personal anecdotal experience.

C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review