Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Deprivation Depression new
      #306733 - 05/07/07 01:19 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi Wendy,
I'm coping by learning to cook, and by finding things I really like that I can eat, But I feel like you do alot, I get paranoid about leaving home, worried about food, and then I go and bake myself biscoti and angel food cake, or I try doing some excercise, belly dance yoga, and most importantly I just say there are things that I'll never be able to do and focus on the things I can.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#306736 - 05/07/07 01:44 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. First off, it sounds like you really need to get control of the depression/anxiety. If you're not on AD's or some other medication, check into it. The hypnotherapy available here has worked wonders for some!

You have GOT to get rid of the Diet Sprite. Until you get rid of all the triggers, you CAN'T feel better. It took me a long time to get over watching people eat/drink what I wanted. I avoided going out for awhile to avoid dealing with the sadness and anger and self-pity. I have to tell you though...the longer I am without these food/drinks, the less I crave them. It may take you months to get rid of certain cravings but once they're out of your system (and NO cheating or you will start at the drawing board) you will "need" them less and less. Really.

And like some others have stated...this is not a life-sentence. That's the way I looked at it. I thought, I'd never be able to eat anything I wanted again. What I didn't understand was that once I got myself stable, there are some foods/drinks that simply wouldn't be a problem for me anymore.

You just need to decide if it's worth it to cheat. It is worth it for the taste in your mouth for a few minutes? For me, I got to the point that food equaled pain/misery/depression. If eating those foods are keeping you in the house, away from people, are causing you pain, or embarrassment, is it worth it? If not, you've just got to put your foot down and give this a real try. And the next time you want to pick up that Diet Sprite, do a little visualization. Picture yourself getting a swift punch in the tummy and sitting on the toilet for an hour while hubby or good friend is waiting for you. How's that for "inspiration"?

Seriously...I know how you feel, as do many people on this site. But now that I'm stable, I can look back more objectively and can wonder why I had such a hard time giving some things up. It's hard. It's always hard to give up the things you love but if you're living in misery...it's time for them to go. And maybe, just maybe someday, you can have a little again. And then again, maybe you won't want to because you feel so great!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#306744 - 05/07/07 03:23 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I can definitely relate about the "going out" thing. At first, just stepping into a restaurant would cause an attack. Then I started ADs, seeing a therapist, and doing the hypno. I've gotten to the point where I can enjoy going to a restaurant again! I still have some lingering anxiety about going to other people's houses, but I'm working on it.

I don't feel deprived at all. I missed cheese for a long time, but I've gotten over it. I'm practically vegan except for the occasional seafood or egg white. I'm SO much healthier now than I've ever been. And there are SO MANY delicious IBS-safe treats and desserts out there - it's sometimes a battle to determine which one to make! They're all so yummy!! And friends just marvel at my baking skills.

Give it time, but DEFINITELY get the depression and anxiety under control. If you decide to try anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety meds, you really should complement that with seeing a therapist; you'll make a lot more progress that way than with just the meds alone.

Hang in there!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

question new
      #306760 - 05/07/07 06:21 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is this way of eating helping you? That would make it a lot easier to follow.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#306762 - 05/07/07 06:32 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Sorry you are feeling so down. IBS can really be a pain in the butt sometimes...literally!! For me, to remain upbeat and positive I try to keep telling myself that it could be worse...one of my children could have a terminal illness, I could get cancer and leave my children motherless, my husband could be killed, etc.... I know dealing with the depprivation issue is hard. You always feel like you're left out, with nothing good to eat. I love to cook, so I always am making safe, yummy things that I can grab quickly when I get a craving. One thing that really helps is to get the "bad" stuff out of the house! If your home is filled with safe food items, it will be easier to make better choices. I keep pretzels in the car just in case I am out and about and get starving. I bake a lot, and I freeze portion-sized pieces so I can grab one in a hurry. Low-fat poptarts (brown sugar & cinnamon) are really a life saver. Sweet cereals too!

I try not to think about it too much, about what I am missing out on. I know it does get depressing. I hope you are feeling better soon!
MeiMei

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3041

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review