All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Extreme exhaustion
      #306333 - 05/01/07 02:13 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

hello everyone- can IBS w/ constipation cause extreme exhaustion? lately ive been unusually wiped out, especially in the evenings after work. i cant figure out if its my IBS or allergies...ive been walking around in a complete daze for the past month or so

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Me Too! new
      #306382 - 05/02/07 05:31 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I have IBS-D, but I have been absolutely exhausted since I began to have symptoms in Oct 06. I'm useless after 2:00pm, and if I can't sit down and rest, I'm asleep by 8:00 pm. My IBS symptoms tend to come at night, and they are coming less often, so I am sleeping more soundly - I don't get it. I take a multivitamin to help with diatary shortfalls, but I figure it is my diet that is the problem, as I am having a hard time adding foods. It seems like once I get to the point of adding foods (veggies, chicken breast, etc) I end up having an attack and starting all over again. Could your exhaustion be related to diet or stress?

Anyway, I've been having the same problem, and haven't solved it yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated here too.

Re: Extreme exhaustion new
      #306385 - 05/02/07 06:04 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have been a lot more tired too since my IBS got bad back in 2005. I prefer getting at least 8 hours of sleep but it's not uncommon for me to sleep for 10.

For me I think this is mostly related to the mental and emotional stress that IBS has caused in my life. I am doing a lot better now though, since my IBS has been pretty stable. Even after you start feeling better it takes a long time to rebuild your confidence and deal with all the emotional aspects of the whole thing. I just hope that I will continue to improve both physically and mentally and then hopefully I will get my energy level back to normal.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#306395 - 05/02/07 08:20 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Could it be depression? Fatigue is a major symptom of depression. Starting an AD really helped me with this. It got to the point where walking around the block made my muscles ache, and I couldn't go any further, whereas I typically walk 2.5-3 miles at a time.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#306411 - 05/02/07 11:25 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I tend to agree with Lisa Marie. I too am exhausted by the time I come home from work. I am not on Meds for depression, and my daughter bought to my attend that since the onset of my IBS that I am no longer doing the things I use to love to do. I just don't want to do anything but what I have to do. I blamed it on the pain, but I am beginning to think that it is more than the pain and that the pain is an excuse.I plan on talking to my dr. about this.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: Me Too! new
      #306413 - 05/02/07 12:05 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

In my opinion I was exhausted when I was constipated and it had nothing to do with depression. I look at AD as a band-aid that doesn't really get at the root of the problem. I consider myself stabilized or at least I am going regularly and do not have any pain. I noticed that I also have a lot more energy. Are you sticking to the program, REALLY sticking to it? If not maybe try that before AD's.

#306524 - 05/04/07 08:25 AM
sandys

Reged: 03/22/06

I believe I developed hypothyroidism because of IBS. Stress & malabsorption. I was extremely tired,too. Check to see if you are developing other conditions as a result of IBS.

Re: IBS-Hypothyroidism? new
      #306595 - 05/05/07 08:59 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

My bloodwork at my annual checkup in January showed that I might be hypothyroid. What is the connection, if any, between IBS and hypothyroidism?

My only "symptoms" were increased C and about 5 lbs weight gain. My energy level seems normal.

Also, my bloodwork showed a bit low white blood count. Is that related in any way to IBS, do you think? I'm doing much better on the IBS diet now, and am due for a followup blookwork this month--I'm hoping I'm back in the "normal" range.

C

Re: IBS-Hypothyroidism? new
      #306600 - 05/05/07 09:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Two early symptoms of hypothyroidism are constipation and weight gain.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Me Too! new
      #306781 - 05/08/07 04:52 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

I am sticking to the program and am exhausted all the time but am having difficulty sleeping, go figure! I try to make sure I am getting enough calories and try to get a variety of food groups but that can be very hard. I have even tried walking more regardless of how tired I am. I guess most of the time lately I just feel blue and can't seem to kick it. If feels like a very long road I am looking at.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review