All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and diverticulitis
      #306291 - 05/01/07 10:28 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

I had posted this in another forum and have not received any responses so I am trying here. I have had IBS for years and was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis as well. I am hoping someone has had the same problem and can help me because everything I have found contradicts the other and I am becoming very frustrated and HUNGRY as well. Any advice from anyone would be soooo greatly appreciated!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and diverticulitis new
      #306297 - 05/01/07 10:47 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

My Mom has that and she reacts to dairy. From what I've read on it you can't eat things like whole nuts, seeds or things that would be small and hard. Guess what, IBS can't handle that too well either. Grind up your nuts and chew everything very well, don't eat preserves, go for jam or jellies, watch out for veges like tomatos, cucumbers and all that have seeds we'd normally eat. I think the EFI diet would be a good one for you to try. You could solve two issues at once.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#306305 - 05/01/07 11:08 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hello CMW!
I hope you don't mind me asking but what are the actual symptoms of Diverticulitis? When I was first diagnosed with IBS many years ago, my Gastro-Dr at that time told me it could develop into Diverticulitis, for instance, he told me to avoid eating anything with seeds, evidently they can adhere to the wall of the Colon snd cause inflamation, needless to say I never do. I wish I could help you for I understand how frustrating it can be to find what works for "you"! The IBS diet is geared to help many Digestive disorders, a friend of mine who has UC says it has helped her a lot! I do wish you luck "CMW", I'm sure you'll get some help from this Board, everyone is very helpful and understanding.

#306378 - 05/02/07 04:54 AM
CMW

Thank you very much for your response. The main symptom that my doctor was concerned with was severe pain in the lower left side. At first we thought it was my ovary and they put me on the pill but it kept getting worse. I have heard that about seeds and right now my diet is very limited due to both conditions.

#306379 - 05/02/07 04:56 AM
CMW

Could you explain what the EFI diet is? I'm having a very hard time finding things I can eat because what is good for one is not for the other. I am still losing weight and am at the point I can't afford to lose any more and still having about 1 flare up a week.

#306399 - 05/02/07 09:14 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

EFI diet = Eating for IBS diet = Heather's diet

Check out the "IBS Diet & Recipes" link to the left and/or read Heather's "Eating for IBS" book!

--AC

#306403 - 05/02/07 09:22 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

In the EFI (Eating for IBS) section, there is also some info about diverticulitis and how eating for that is similar to the IBS diet. Here's the link: Diverticulitis I hope it helps. Eating more soluble fiber (SF) is highly recommended and Heather provides detailed information on what kinds of food are higher in SF under the "IBS Diet & Recipes" section.

Take care!

#307895 - 05/23/07 06:54 PM
EWyse

Reged: 02/23/07
Loc: Alabama

I am happy to see so many responses to your post. One thing I have found on this site is people not only care about themselves, they care about YOU and everybody suffering with IBS and other digestive problems! We have all been where you are and I can promise ANYTHING you need to know is on THIS site. Heather and all the folks here are knowledgeable, understanding, and helpful ... search no more ... you found a family of success stories at www.helpforibs.com.

For the record, I suffer from diverticulosis and the IBS guidelines posted on this site have been my ONLY saving grace. If you haven't already read Heather's books, I strongly recommend you do. They are loaded with information and help. ALL my questions were answered. I will remind you (as I need to be reminded often) ... DRINK MORE WATER!!! I just suffered with another diverticulitis attack and can determine that it was my lack of water that caused it. I am very faithful to the dietary guidelines set on this site, but I hate water so that's where I slipped. So, buy some peppermint and fennel teas, drink more water and relax ... you're not alone.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3652 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review