All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and nutritional deficiencies
      #306179 - 04/30/07 08:24 AM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Does IBS, in general, have a tendency to cause nutritional deficiencies? For example, I am potassium deficient and iron deficient (and I'm relatively healthy and only 26 years old). The doctors found one cause of the potassium deficiency to be a medication I was on... and they assume I am iron deficient because I don't eat meat. But I am curious what others know about problems with IBS and absorbing nutrients from foods if the food passes through too quickly? Example: I can eat something and quickly have diarrhea and see parts of the food I just ate. Does this mean my body did not absorb all or some of the foods? Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I take a multi vitamin for exactly this reason new
      #306222 - 04/30/07 05:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Speaking only for myself, IBS definitely keeps me from getting all the nutrients I need out of food and so I have to supplement that.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: IBS and nutritional deficiencies new
      #306316 - 05/01/07 12:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have been tested for vitamin and nutrient deficiencies both before and after starting the IBS diet. In both cases, I had no deficiencies whatsoever. I'm also a vegetarian, but had no problems with iron deficiency.

As with everything, everyone's different! Those with D may be more susceptible to deficiencies than those with C (like myself).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#306319 - 05/01/07 12:45 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

If you can see food you have not absorbed it. If you did not absorb it you have not gotten any nutrients from it, thus you wind up with deficiencies.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#306323 - 05/01/07 01:01 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I'm pretty sure that IBS does not cause deficiencies in general. I suppose it could possibly happen if you have very bad D but IBS as such does not make you absorb less nutrients. However if you have to limit yourself to a strict diet then of course you might be missing out on some nutrients due to the fact that you never even eat food containing them.

I have been checked for deficiencies but haven't had any apart from iron deficiency and that comes from my not eating meat and also that I have pretty heavy bleeding during my periods.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review