All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bananas and Potatoes...
      #305705 - 04/23/07 09:31 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Hello
These two items are in the "Safe" list. However they cause me problems. Is this normal? Does anybody else have problems with these?

Thanks
mybellyhurts

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Everyone's different... new
      #305737 - 04/23/07 04:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Unfortunately, it's totally possible to be bothered by something that's in the "safe" list. Everyone's body is different, and while the principles of the diet work, the specifics end up being different for everyone. (For example, I can only eat rice very, very occasionally, but for many people, it's a staple and they can eat it daily with no problems.)

Really, you're better off thinking of the foods as "soluble fiber" and "insoluble fiber", rather than "safe" and "not"... then, when something doesn't sit right with you, it isn't such an alarming thing.

Re: Everyone's different... new
      #305741 - 04/23/07 04:43 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

True everyone's different. Mushrooms are on the "safe" list, but I'm allergic to them so I don't eat them.

Re: Bananas and Potatoes... new
      #305757 - 04/23/07 07:49 PM
Carlye

Reged: 04/17/07

I am right there with you. Bananas bother me, no matter how many times I try to eat them, since I really do like them! I have a hard time b/c I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, and now that I am trying to make some changes to decrease my IBS-C, I am having a hard time finding F and V that I can eat! I eat sweet potatoes all of the time and I am fine(I am allergic to regular potatoes, as well as mushrooms). So it is person-specific, but all you can do is try each one and narrow it down from there.
Carlye

Re: Bananas and Potatoes... new
      #305758 - 04/23/07 08:24 PM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

I second the problem with bananas. In a smoothie, after my breakfast toast, their fine. But today I had a whole banana on an empty stomach, and it wasn't pretty. I felt awful. I guess we learn as we go!

Carolyn
IBS-C (getting closer to stable)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 944 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1101

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review