All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
graduation to walk or not to
      #305324 - 04/18/07 12:27 PM

Unregistered

I really don't want to walk across the stage with my Ibs-c. I'll have family pissed at me, my dad and people at work will be asking me questions. People at work don't know I have Ibs..and I won't tell them.I really don't think I can make it. My dad asked me to go to church with him a few weeks ago, well I almost did because he pleaded. I'm "glad" I didn't because I was in and out of the bathroom like 3 times the time he was at church. What to say...what to do..[censored] IBs!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Walk if you can ... new
      #305335 - 04/18/07 02:13 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I can understand both sides of this problem... having to walk with ibs, and being a parent who has supported someone and would really enjoy seeing them at graduation.

So I would say this: try to go. Prepare yourself as best as possible and attend. If you can not make it because of ibs then don't feel bad if you have really tried. Just think about trying.

Maybe a graduation party at home with just family and some close friends? Good luck to you.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Walk if you can ... new
      #305352 - 04/18/07 04:48 PM

Unregistered

well i've been working hard at making myself stable,.. i do everything right. Its still really bad. I have to make up my mind tonight before I have to go and make announcements tommorow. I've decided not to. Now what do i tell the principle or whoever and all the ppl I know that don't know I have Ibs..What should I put on announcements now? I still have to pay for my cap and gown anyway...

Re: graduation to walk or not to new
      #305358 - 04/18/07 05:20 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

You have to go to graduation. As a fellow ibs-c I know how painful it can be to move when nothing is moving. These are some immediate things that I do at times to help the gut along. I do give myself enemas when it's impossible to do anything else. It relieves the pressure and pain. Take the peppermint capsules-but not before bedtime. Lot's of hot peppermint tea. If you don't have that then raid the spice cabinet for fennel. Hot fennel tea is very comforting on the insides. Here's another thing that I can't explain but Pamprin works wonders for me. Everything is worth a try and telling others you have this issue is just as important. More and more people know about it and when you talk to them you may find out that they have it or know others who do. They may feel sorry for you but they are also curious and will listen to your story. Don't hide yourself away. That is the worst thing you can do. I've stopped the Zelnorm recently and had some withdrawal issues but the Acacia fiber has helped immensley and it's only been 5 days. I'm not hurting at all and I've never been able to get stable. If getting stable is an issue, try looking into wheat, dairy and other food issues. Go to graduation, you will be glad you did no matter what. Try the Pamprin if nothing else (I don't use Midol as it has Ibuprofin and I'm on Zoloft which reacts to it).
Relax, breath and find some peace, it will come.
Happy Graduation, make it one as you had to work hard to earn it and should reap the pleasure of it.
Namaste, Cat Nut

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#305369 - 04/18/07 06:35 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi first of all congratualtions for graduating, second of all remember that stress is a trigger, and as someone who is preparing for graduation myself, I know it's crazy stressful, so try to relax, remember you know what you can handle and what you can't, do not let other peoples expectations stress YOU out and make you more sick. However, there have been times where I have just decided I was doing certain things no matter what, ( a freinds birthday, a speacil belly dance performance) I ended up glad I was there, even though I was sick the whole time. I'm and c/d alternating, but my C is definitly predominate, after two years I am finnaly aproaching stable, it can happen, hang in there,and try to relax, it's your day, you can choose how you spend it!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#305386 - 04/18/07 09:13 PM
Double J

Explain only to those who need to know.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#305395 - 04/19/07 04:26 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi,

I have ulcerative colitis and was diagnosed in my last year of university. I was really sick for many months and was so scared about graduation. I didn't think I could do it but I took a lot of immodium (the colitis causes a lot of D) and I did it. I then went to teacher's college two years later and walked the stage again.

The way I look at it is this, I worked so hard to get my degrees why am I going to let the colitis rob me of a proper graduation.

I think you should do whatever you can to make it across that stage, you may regret it later if you don't give yourself the chance to try.

Just my opinion and experience though.
Jenn

#305398 - 04/19/07 05:29 AM

Unregistered

Thank you all, but I not walking. I've been drinking like half a gallon of fennel tea a day for the last week. It isn't doing much. I've been taking digestmore,peppermint tea,juice plus,natural calm,gas relief. I have to stand around an hour before graduation. I can't be trying to hold in farts the whole time and all or interupt to use the bathroom because i'm able to go a little piece here and there. I think I'll go with saying "I'll just say its a personal preference because I don't want to talk about it" or "I don't want to have to get up all the time to interupt graduation" (should I use that one, add to it?"

#305403 - 04/19/07 06:51 AM
Double J

Tell the facts and the truth. It's always easier to keep things factual. And congratulations on your graduation!!

--------------------

#305416 - 04/19/07 11:00 AM

Unregistered

Thank you very much! i won't tell the principle,counselor,whoever i need to talk to about walking i have Ibs then get into details. I'm just going to say I'm not walking and if pressed I will say I don't want to have to get up a lot all the time and if still pressed I will say sorry I'm not doing it.

#305446 - 04/19/07 02:53 PM

Unregistered

well I talked to the counselor and my parents had to come. Everyone is pissed off at me now. My mom was crying telling me i was stealing from the family...

#305450 - 04/19/07 03:20 PM
Double J

One of my sons never walked at his graduation ... I was really dissapointed, but I also got over it. Your mom will get through it, too.

--------------------

#305451 - 04/19/07 03:52 PM

Unregistered

while my parents were talking to the counselor she told a story about her mom not getting over someone not showing up for graduation, she said she kicked herself all the time.I hoped i'd get in the office have my parents say yep we talked about it have the counselor say ok confirmed then leave but no it was a big scene.

#305477 - 04/19/07 09:49 PM
Double J

sorry .. I wish the best for you.

--------------------

#305839 - 04/24/07 06:34 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I'm sorry to hear about how things turned out. Unfortunatly, this is a hard time of year and not the best time to try to get stable. Family's are great but are cause for stress too. Congrats on your graduation in any case. You've earned it even if you don't go through the ceremony.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4037 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3939

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review