--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating and salt new
      #30535 - 12/08/03 08:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Too much salt makes me retain water and my hands and boobs will bloat and get sore but it doesn't make my belly bloat.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#30537 - 12/08/03 08:13 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

hey ruchie, long time no talkey.

yep, i really have to watch my sodium intake. i hardly ever add salt to my food now. when i start to feel the bloat, i drink a cup of warm-to-hot water with a lemon wedge in it. tastes good and the lemon is a natural diuretic.

HTH!

--------------------
~jules

Re: Bloating and salt (and asthma) new
      #30544 - 12/08/03 08:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Jules! great to have you back...we missed you tons!

I'll have to try the hot water and lemon wedge...thanks for the idea! Not only with bloating, but I also find I have probs with my asthma with salt intake. How weird is that?

Hope things aren't too crazy hectic w/ ya...take care!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Not me, I NEED salt new
      #30554 - 12/08/03 08:52 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I was surprised to learn upon the last extensive blood work that I was LOW in sodium and told to eat more salt by the doc. I've never craved salt like some do.
Looking honestly at my life style--- living in a warm climate, daily aerobic exercise and drinking lots of water I realized I just may be getting rid of needed sodium. Besides that a strange thing happens now having this IBS. If I have mild pains I can eat something salty like a handful of baked Lays potato chips and the pains will subside. Crazy I know. I've heard that people with fibromyalgia should eat more salt to help their symptoms subside. (I don't have fibro) So, I don't know what's up with me and the fact that sometimes a dose of salt can lessen pains. I'm a severe "C" would think that IBS-D folks might have to keep a check on their electrolytes over all just to be on the safe side.

My own biggest bloat factor is overeating, period. If I can keep meals at around 250 calories and many of them throughout the day then I don't bloat. Once bloated it's the hardest thing I know of to get rid of and makes me miserable and cranky. At that point, all the fennel tea in the world wouldn't help. Only time and rest gets rid of it.

Isn't it amazing how different, yet alike we all are, in so many ways?

Happy Holidays, Kandee

--------------------

#30650 - 12/08/03 06:39 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Ruchie: I find I crave more salt on the IBS diet-especially sense I don't cook with hardly any salt. No problem with the bloating! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Ruchie: do you need blood work done??? new
      #30651 - 12/08/03 06:43 PM
maryh

Maybe you need bloodwork done to check your electrolytes. Have you had it done lately??? Maybe you don't get enough water with salty foods and it causes the sticky asthma gunk in your lungs (professional nurse talk here hehe) Seriously, asthma is dangerous kiddo and watch it closely! Maryh

--------------------

Re: Ruchie: do you need blood work done??? new
      #30674 - 12/09/03 06:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks for the concern!

I had some blood work done not too long ago...maybe a month...but I'm not sure they checked for salt/electrolytes. It seems allergies (hay fever aka rhinitus) has been the cause of my asthma and chronic infections (sinusitis and bronchitus). I am learning that salt seems to exacerbate the prob...prob because it dries me out (I'm not talking about a little sodium...I'm talking about tons!) I also know it makes me bloat!

I think all of this is normal...if it doesn't sound right to you, I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Thanks again!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie: do you need blood work done??? new
      #30769 - 12/09/03 11:23 AM
maryh

Ruchie: It does dry you out and makes all those lungs secretions drier and stickier-that along with your allergies probably does make your asthma worse, I always encourage patients to keep fluid intake very high--it helps your body get rid of the gunk in your lungs!! Hope this helps!!! Maryh

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 411 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review