All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia for IBS-C input needed please
      #305230 - 04/17/07 03:41 PM
christie71

Reged: 01/20/07

I know there are already some threads that address this, but I was hoping some IBS-C people here could post if they really feel the acacia helps with constipation and how much they take daily.
I am really hoping it does help, but am not really sure if it does and I am at 4T/day, I also am taking Natural Calm which seems to work a bit.
I just went from a combination of Citrucel and Acacia to acacia alone and am worried that since Acacia does not swell up in water, it won't provide bulk the Citrucel does. Also, it is kind of glue-like in water and I wonder about the consistency since the last thing I can handle is a glue effect! I really want this to work, but it is pricey and time consuming so any input would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia for IBS-C input needed please new
      #305235 - 04/17/07 04:34 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Christie,
Before I started taking the Acacia, I took Benefiber. Besides being expensive, it didn't seem to do anything. My stool was pencil thin,and very hard to get out. I purchased the Acacia in August, 2006, and started with the same amount of Acacia as Benefiber. This was the wrong thing to do. I was miserable. I stopped taking it, then a week later I started again with only 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Once a week I upped it by 1/4 teasoon until I was at 1 tablespoon twice a day. During this time I was adding IF to my diet and taking Miralax, but as I increased the Acacia I decreased the Miralax by the same amount. Now, my stools are "normal" size and I have a BM most mornings. For me it is worth it.
I feel gram per gram the Acacia is less expensive. Hope this helps in your decision making.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

ECM - angel again new
      #305251 - 04/17/07 06:20 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

I also was trying the benefiber and acacia at the same time, than I stopped the benefiber and stayed with the acacia for 3 weeks but it seem my daughter was doing a little better with the benefiber but was not sure. So I stopped the acacia and went back to the benefiber and even though she still in pain it's not as bad but we been back on for maybe 1 1/2 weeks now. The other reason I like the benefiber is because it works in water well and I want to make sure she take the full 2t that I give her morning & nights and I also keep the benifiber caps with me incase were in a hurry in the mornings, so that I can give it to her a little later. My Question? Do you mix the acacia with your food. I haven't given up on the acacia yet just working with the benefiber right now because it's easier and I think she takes it well I just think I haven't found how much she need yet. Thanks again for your advise.

Re: ECM - angel again new
      #305254 - 04/17/07 06:48 PM
christie71

Reged: 01/20/07

Interestingly, tonight I happened to figure out that to get the acacia to dissolve more in liquids, it has to sit a bit then be stirred again. Before I was chugging globs of goo. Should have read the directions. I am going to try 1 T twice a day, right now I am up to 4 T which is too much. I think adding more IF is a good idea. Thanks for the input.

#305257 - 04/17/07 07:44 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Angel,
It must be hard trying to figure out what is working for your daughter & what isn't. I know it has been hard just for me to get where I am which is having a "normal" stool most mornings without the help of laxatives. I still have not conquered the pain, gas & bloating.
If I were you I would stick with what seems to be working for your daughter and is easiest for you whether that is benefiber or Acacia. I just happen to prefer Acacia for me because the benefiber did nothing. Everyone is different, and it seems to be a guessing game. You know your daughter better than anyone else, and I can tell there is a lot of love between you.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#305267 - 04/17/07 08:56 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You're right. The best way to mix acacia is to put it in a dry glass, then put the water, or beverage in, and mix it with a fork. If that doesn't completely mix, let sit for 30 seconds or a minute or two then mix again.

Re: Acacia for IBS-C input needed please new
      #305317 - 04/18/07 11:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I take 2.5-3 tablespoons of Acacia a day. It doesn't so much help with my C as allow me to eat enough insoluble fiber. It keeps me from getting cramped up and miserable, and generally calms my system down.

For me, it's acacia plus fruits & vegetables plus daily exercise plus getting enough magnesium plus stress management that has me stable. It's not one thing - it's Heather's whole approach!

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1636 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review