All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
how to get a doctor to take you seriously?
      #304951 - 04/14/07 01:38 PM
hazelnut

Reged: 11/13/06

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've all answered this question a bunch of times, but I searched the boards and couldn't find it exactly. So, sorry to be repetitive!

I have been to two doctors about my bowel trouble, and both of them have immediately diagnosed me with IBS, the first performing no tests at all, and giving no dietary recommendations except "lots of fiber." The second doc requested a number of blood and stool samples and ran a bunch of tests, which were all fine, so he also said IBS (again, no recommendations on how to deal with it). However, on discovering this site and board, I've slowly begun to realize that there are a whole bunch of things I haven't been tested for, so I've finally made an appointment with my university health service to get a firmer diagnosis.
My problem is, I'm afraid they won't take me seriously and won't run the tests I need---and I myself am not really sure which ones I need!

This is Heather's list of things to rule out:

Colon and carcinoid cancer
Inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
Bowel obstructions
Diverticulosis / Diverticulitis
Gallstones
Food allergies
Celiac (a genetic, autoimmune disorder resulting in gluten intolerance)
Bacterial infections
Intestinal parasites
Endometriosis
Ovarian cancer

As a 21-year-old woman, do I need all of those? I feel like they'll laugh at me if I hand them this list. Colon cancer? Ovarian cancer?

I know most of you have been through this--did you all get all the recommended tests? How did your doctor react? Please advise--my appointment is on Thursday.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to get a doctor to take you seriously? new
      #304964 - 04/14/07 03:56 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Hazelnut,
My first 2 GI Drs. did not run any test before announcing IBS and telling me to eat more fiber. The company I work for switched to a new health insurance company. When I went for my first visit with the "new" PCP, I told him my "symptoms" and the experience I had with the first 2 GI Drs. I then turned to him and said "I can't live like this any longer. Do you get my drift?" His eyes got big and he ordered xrays of my abdomen. When we looked at the Xrays together, the only think he said is, "Oh my God, you are full of [censored]." We both started laughing, but he then took me seriously. With in the week I had an appointment with a GI Dr. that ran all the test that Heather suggests before she said "You have IBS with constipation" She also said that she really didn't know how to treat me, and that I would probably find more help researching it myself. I found this site and all the helpful advice from those who have been there.
You don't say what exactly you are going through, but it is very important to have all the test run before a diagnoses of IBS is reached.
Hope that helps.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#304966 - 04/14/07 04:09 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

the only think he said is, "Oh my God, you are full of [censored]."

A doc with both a sense of humor and a the intent to actually help you seems to be a rare find. I got a good laugh out of this. I'm glad you found someone who was willing to try to help you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#304968 - 04/14/07 04:17 PM
hohoyumyum

Every single thing on that list needs to be ruled out. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion which means there is no one test for it, rather you have to test for everything else and when nothing can be found, they slap you with the IBS label.

The only way to find a doc that will take you seriously is to keep going to new docs until one does. Be very straight forward when you talk to them, I mean extremely blunt. The more you candy coat, the less seriously they'll take it. If you suffer from D, cramps, and gas, look that doc in the eye and say "I am constantly suffering from diarrhea, cramping, and gas. I need to have all of these things ruled out (hand him/her the list). I can't live with this any longer. I need YOUR help. Don't ask what s/he thinks it may be. Tell them what you need. If they won't listen, leave, even if it's still in the middle of the appt., and go try a new doc.

Sounds harsh, but no one else is going to get these things done for you, and in the unlikely event that it is something more serious, there isn't any time to putz around.

And more note, don't feel like they'll laugh at you. You DESERVE good health. You deserve, just like everyone else, to be pain free. And the medical community exists to realize that. Never feel bad or embarrassed, no matter what.

--------------------

#304970 - 04/14/07 05:39 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

Hi Hazel,

I am 23 and had a hard time convincing my dr. that I needed all of the tests that I wanted done. When I first got my symptoms I would go every two months and my dr. would tell me it was stress, or the left over results of a stomach virus. I went in with the information found on here and was able to intelligently and firmly explain what I WANTED DONE, regardless of her objections. It was then that she started to take me seriously.

Just stand your ground and be firm,

Good Luck

shannon

#304974 - 04/14/07 08:01 PM
hazelnut

thank you all so much. I really appreciate the support.

#305081 - 04/16/07 09:00 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

In Holland you have places (like where i live and where im gonna live) you get stuck with a doctor and cant change unless you move. My doctor i have now doesnt take me really seriously (my hospital doctor only slightly more and did atleast do bloodworks and a colonscopy). We are moving in two weeks so im getting a new doc and im doing your approach this time. Hopefully it will work better.

Re: how to get a doctor to take you seriously?
      #305088 - 04/16/07 10:06 AM
para1

Reged: 02/20/07

I went to two internest who both said I have IBS. I finally went to a GI and he too says I have IBS. I asked him about doing tests but he doesn't feel they are necessary. He did bloodwork and that was all fine. After talking about my symptoms he said I am textbook IBS and too young to go through more invasive tests. He was actually pushing on my abdomen last week while examining me and said he could feel the stool in my intestines and actually move it. I don't know if I should be more insistent on tests or keep following the diet which seems to help. I figured if it was something else then the diet might not help

Re: how to get a doctor to take you seriously?
      #305096 - 04/16/07 11:44 AM
hazelnut

yeah, that sounds exactly like my situation (minus the pushing on abdomen part. they did palpate my abdomen and said it felt very healthy). the first doctor also said that since I have had some IBS symptoms for most of my life (I was a chronically constipated child), it's clearly IBS--even though the symptoms have gotten much worse in the last few years, and a lot of new ones have popped up. So I'm still confused as to whether I should press for all the tests.

#305138 - 04/16/07 06:01 PM
hohoyumyum

A change in symptoms, especially any dramatic ones, warrants a trip to the doc in my opinion. Just because you have IBS doesn't mean that you couldn't also develop something else in time.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1689 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review