All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
OT?: Has anyone tried testing/treatment for bacterial overgrowth?
      #304813 - 04/12/07 08:20 PM
KonosMom

Reged: 03/19/07

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this question, but here goes. Has anyone read Dr. Pimentel's book that talks about IBS in some cases being caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine? There is information on his research in the "IBS research library" on this site. His dietary advice fits somewhat with Heather's. . . but his initial approach involves breath testing & antibiotics. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the lactulose breath test/antibiotics that he recommends. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I've had the test new
      #304826 - 04/13/07 06:42 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

It's similar to the lactose intolerance test. you drink something then blow into a container every 20 minutes or so for a few hours. Painless.

Mine showed no bacteria overgrowth at all...so no need to spend money on special antibiotics or anything. Darn, I wish it had shown something to explain my symptoms. At least I would have a remedy!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: OT?: Has anyone tried testing/treatment for bacterial overgrowth? new
      #304829 - 04/13/07 08:01 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,
I have tried the protocol Pimentel suggests in his book. I bought the book and offered the idea of taking the antibiotic to my internist (not a tummy doc), and she said it can't hurt to try. She didn't have me go through any of the breath tests because if it worked with the antibiotic then we would know there was an overgrowth of bacteria. The antibiotic is not absorbed (only 10%, I think) into your system, so it can't hurt to try. I tried it for the 10 days, and it did nothing. I think there are certain individuals that it will work for, but it is not for everyone. If your doc is willing, you might want to give it a try.
MeiMei

#304834 - 04/13/07 09:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can do a Search across all Boards with no time limit for:

SIBO
small bacteria

and you should get a fair number of hits on this.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#304882 - 04/13/07 05:37 PM
KonosMom

Reged: 03/19/07

Thanks for the "heads up" -- there are lots of posts under the searches you recommended. Thanks for your patience Sand, it looks like you've had to answer this same question over & over.

No problem, KonosMom (m) new
      #304923 - 04/14/07 08:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's been a hot topic for a while now and I can certainly understand that people would much prefer to have something fixable. Good luck with the test if you decide to go that route.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5718 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review