All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does this mean I have to go Vegan?!?!
      #304754 - 04/12/07 10:42 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

As an Orthodox Christian, I followed the Lenten fast, which means no meat of any kind, no diary, no eggs, no fish (shell fish allowed). Since Easter has come, I've gone back to the typical EFI diet. I have been sick ever since. During Lent, I felt health and full of energy. I can't imagine going vegan for the rest of my life. Anyone else here totally vegan for IBS reasons?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does this mean I have to go Vegan?!?! new
      #304771 - 04/12/07 01:12 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Not totally but pretty darn close. I was vegetarian before starting the EFI diet. Once in a great while I'll have fish, and I don't avoid egg whites if a recipe calls for it. I'm definitely healthier than I've ever been!

There are so many delicious vegan recipes out there; don't be afraid to try them. You might be surprised!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304819 - 04/12/07 10:07 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I wouldn't call myself vegan either but I am also quite close...I eat absolutley no dairy....regardless of the amount it causes me problems...I eat a little bit of chicken and fish...I don't like tofu enough to be able to give up the chicken and fish..I have successfully found yummy dairy alternatives for everything from butter to ice cream..

shannon

#304820 - 04/13/07 02:15 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

Could you please share your dairy alternatives? I'm having a hard time substituting. Too much soy is a problem for my tummy.
Thanks.

Rosanne

#304835 - 04/13/07 09:38 AM
Lisa Marie

Try rice and almond alternatives for milk. For butter, I use smart balance light, which is dairy free and not made from soy (i don't think). I have yet to find a good shredded cheese substitute, but i haven't really missed that lately. For grated "parmesan", i use "Veggy" brand; I think that's how it's spelled...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304855 - 04/13/07 11:41 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Lisa, you can't tolerate soy beverages or butter, but you can tolerate the cheese? That would be so great if I could...I can't handle soy milk at all. (but then I'm always bloated anyhow)!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304861 - 04/13/07 11:49 AM
Lisa Marie

I can handle soy in small doses, I just prefer to not consume it every day! An elimination diet awhile ago proved to me that my morning soy milk gave me gas later in the day, so I switched to rice milk. And the only time I use a SMALL amount of fake cheese is when I'm making pasta or pita pizzas. I sprinkle a little bit of fake grated parmesan on top. That's it!! In general, fake cheeses are not worth it to me because I've never found one that's half as good as the real thing - AND doesn't make me sick.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304863 - 04/13/07 12:02 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I am. As a former vegetarian, giving up meat was not a problem for me. I decided about a month ago to stop eating chicken which was the only meat I was eating. I discovered 2 excellent vegan cookbooks at Barnes and Noble, and beleive me, I'm not missing anything. I've had to learn a lot of new ingredients, but I enjoy cooking again, and I feel ever so much better. (My cholesterol dropped 71 points at my last check up). Its a personal choice, but it works for me

Re: Dairy Alternatives new
      #304940 - 04/14/07 10:51 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I can be really sensitive to soy as well, after some trial and error I have figured out how much I can tolerate in a sitting. I don't eat it every day and sometimes I still go overboard (especially with the ice cream).

Here are the things that I have found that I really enjoy. The good thing about most of these products as well is there fridge life is really long, so using the tiny amount I use doesn't mean it's going to go bad and be a waste of money.

Earth Balance Butter- tub and sticks...is really great to have around. I use it mostly in mashed potatoes and any baking I do.

Rice Dream- Vanilla- I use this when I'm not feeling as good and want to stay away from soy

Vitasoy- light Vegan Chocolate HANDS DOWN THE BEST CHOCOLATE SOY MILK. It tastes like chocolate milk.There vanillas is really good also

Purely Decadent Soy Ice cream in Chocolate Brownie Almond. This is my downfall, if Im in a bad cycle I can't have it in the house because I have to eat it.

Lucerne Soya Dessert- Vanilla Honey Almond

Galaxy Nutritional Veggie shreds- Mozzarella. I use this mostly in Pasta. A tiny bit sprinkled on top

Okanagan Soya- cheddar..hands down the best cheese..it melts great, tastes good and actually has a cheese consistancy.

Tofutti Cream chesse- garlic and onion

Tofutti Sour Supreme- I don't use this often but I have tried it and it was good.

The ONLY thing I have not found a good replacement for is SOY YOGURT. I have tried every brand near where I live and they all taste funny to me...

When it comes to soy I just use good judgement and be careful...Hope you find something that works for you.

Shannon

It amazes me... new
      #304950 - 04/14/07 01:13 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...how well you know your food and body! Wow!

How did you do an elimination diet? What did you eat and how and when did you add foods in? I have not gotten answers from elimination diets or food journals. Don't know why I can't figure out my foods...except that the stress is the constant with all foods,

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1572

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review