All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Medical Marijuana - Please respond
      #304721 - 04/12/07 09:31 AM
misspayj

Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: Denver, CO

I think this is a great topic to discuss. I have not seen a post about this yet. I was wondering if anyone has experienced that when they use marijuana that they can eat some of the foods that they normally could not. I was also wondering if it is possible to get medical marijuana for IBS. I know there is stigma around this topic because in most places it is illegal but if it works and is technically safe, does anyone else feel that serious IBS sufferers could benefit from the medical use of marijuana? I feel that it is a positive herb and the option should be discussed and if I can not discuss it here, then where? I need help with this topic and I do not personally know any other IBS sufferers that would like to discuss topics as these with me. Please respond. Thanks, this is my first post by the way and I need support.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Medical Marijuana - Please respond new
      #304723 - 04/12/07 09:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

See the article in Heather's newsletter and message. If you search the message board you will find a couple of other postings too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#304724 - 04/12/07 09:42 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi misspayj - I have never tried marijuana, so I can not give an opinion. The topic has come up before, so if you do a search you will find all the questions & responses.
Maybe someone else will have an opinion.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Another Coloradoan! new
      #304732 - 04/12/07 10:14 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Wow... I think there are three or four of us in the Denver area now - we need to start a support group!!

I have tried it before - but not for IBS. How interesting! I hear it works wonders for migraines, though...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304734 - 04/12/07 10:16 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

From my personal experience, it would not be an effective treatment. I was a heavy marijuana user in my early 20s and experienced no change in symptoms.

#304736 - 04/12/07 10:18 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Articles I have read where the use of medical marijuana was studied amongst IBS sufferers seem to suggest that marijuana helps tremendously with pain (especially chronic pain) and help slow bowel contractions. I think the tests I read about were conducted in Canada, so you may want to Google that.

Normally, I would never encourage anyone to do anything illegal, however, I am one of those liberal folk who feel that if marijuana helps improve the quality of life for people suffering from debilitating pain and ailments, then it should be allowed! I have watched family members and friends use marijuana when suffering from cancer and AIDS. It was amazing in easing their pain. I think , if it helps you, then who's to judge you, right? Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. You won't know unless you try. Just be smart about it.

#304737 - 04/12/07 10:20 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I sorta tried to do an experiment when I went to Amsterdam. I wanted to use marijuana to be able to eat anything. Well, after visiting the 'coffee shop' I went to eat, and was too paranoid to try anything unsafe. I munched on white bread (didn't even feel hungry) and then went to bed. It was pretty disapointing! Although I didn't eat anything bad, I really think that if I had, I would have had an attack. My stomach felt really 'off' after smoking. Other than that experience I have never touched the stuff, and probably will never again.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Another Coloradoan! new
      #304739 - 04/12/07 10:21 AM
misspayj

Sweet! What do support groups do, when they get together? I know I will raise alot of responses with what I wrote but I just need to know that I am not the only one who feels that it is important to look at the positive effects for many people with marijuana. Hopefully in our lifetime it will be legal.

#304740 - 04/12/07 10:23 AM
misspayj

Just like any drug, it is not effective for everybody. But thanks for the input.

Re: Another Coloradoan! new
      #304743 - 04/12/07 10:26 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Get together and chat about what's going on; support each other and talk about things we might not be able to talk about with non-IBSers. Just an idea! Nice to know I'm not the only Coloradoan anymore.

And I agree that it's a topic worth investigating. It might be especially beneficial for those that are pain-predominant.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review