All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Probiotics - Suggestions
      #304702 - 04/12/07 08:19 AM
ladywalker0907

Reged: 01/30/04

Okay so I just read as much as I could on the post about probiotics and it looks like I could read all day! I am IBS-D and am thinking I should start adding probiotics. I have been taking Benefiber for a few years and it works great but I still have attacks here and there. Since I assume there will be a ton of brands to choose from can I get some suggestion from other IBS-D'ers as to ones that have worked well for them? Should I also be doing digestive enzymes? Thank you all in advance for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics - Suggestions new
      #304709 - 04/12/07 08:53 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm not IBS-D, but I was for a week when I was on a strong antibiotic. I was miserable. But Bio-K helped immediately. The bottles of dairy-free soy "yogurt" aren't cheap, so it's not a long term thing, but it works great. I just finished a 3 month course of it, and it really helped. I'm sure Kat will chime in here; she's IBS-D (I think) and had great success with it also.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304713 - 04/12/07 09:06 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Im currently taking Align (www.aligngi.com) and Flora Q (can be found at www.drugstore.com) Im IBS-A (Leaning towards the D side) and I find that they help a lot. They are both in pill form, and you take one a day.

Edited by Lyndeigh (04/12/07 09:06 AM)

#304714 - 04/12/07 09:08 AM
ladywalker0907

thanks!!!

#304715 - 04/12/07 09:14 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Yep I'll chime in here
I'm IBS-D and took the BIO-K+ dairy-free soy yogurts for over 3 months. I worked up to 1 bottle/day and stayed at that dose. I found it helped most with gas/bloating and also with forming a more substancial BM. I actually felt like I was having normal person BMs.

I went off the BIO-K and tried a different probiotic (SISU Dophilus Plus) but started noticing it wasn't as effective. I increased my dose a lot and still nothing. So I caved and went back to BIO-K. I'm currently doing 1/2 bottle per day since it is expensive.

One note: I originally tried BIO-K+ once-a-day capsules (non-refrigerated) and they did nothing. I don't recommend them, and actually on the BIO-K+ site they recommend their bottles over their capsules.

--------------------
Kat

#304717 - 04/12/07 09:20 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Consumer Reports did a study on probiotics and actually tested to see which probiotic supplements actually where alive in the pill and actually colonized. So many brands including Bio-K did not do well in the study. Natures Way Reuteri did the best. Thought this might help.

#304719 - 04/12/07 09:22 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Do you have a link to this? I've been trying to find a replacement to BIO-K so I'd love to see which ones did well.

One question: did they test BIO-K+ yogurts or pills? I tried the pills and they didn't do anything. The yogurts though I noticed a change right away.

--------------------
Kat

#304720 - 04/12/07 09:27 AM
ladywalker0907

So Bio-K is a yogurt type product? Can it be bought in a store? I read that report, too...I saw it on msn.com the other day.

I actually have very normal BM's. From reading about other people's issues mine are by far not as bad. I mainly have been stable since beginning the Benefiber. I can't eat raw veggies or fruits at all, no whole grain products and no coffee. Other than that I can eat most foods...pizza, meat and tomato based products. I almost wonder if probiotics would even be beneficial since I'm not really that bad?

#304725 - 04/12/07 09:52 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I cannot find Bio-K or the Nature's way probiotics anywhere in stores. Where do you find them??

#304730 - 04/12/07 10:12 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You need to go to a HFS; Wild Oats or Whole Foods will be your best bet. Bio-K+ is produced in Canada, so you can't have them shipped to YOU into the US. If your HFS doesn't carry them, maybe ask if they can order it for you.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review