All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
travelling, im panicing people!
      #304545 - 04/11/07 12:00 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

ok, know there are a ton of posts about this, as i searched it, but just wanted some up to date advice and reassurance etc!
i am ibs-d pretty much stable, but ate something dodgy (it was two in the morning, v dodgy pizza place!) over weekend and its brought on an attack- im so busy and going to london on friday and feeling stressed and not got enough time!! so im making it worse! anyway, breathe! it just made me realise how crappy it is having an attack- and i REALLY dont want to have one when travelling over the summer.
im going to spain with my bloke in june, i went last year and did ok, food in s'markets was good and was so relaxed that i cheated a bit (wasnt on the diet then!) so good week. but this time i need to take my fibre!! do i ring the airport up, or is it the airline?? should i buy a new packet so its sealed and just leave it in spain?!!! i am scared they will take it of me!!!
then i'm going to italy and france for 2 weeks in august- so excited as been my dream to go to these places! although im MEGA worried about my eating, im going with a friend rather than my bloke (who pretty much knows what i eat by now!) and i dont know how to explain my eating. plus well be doing some inter-railing, most journeys are only about 2-3 hours, but one is 7!! i dont know how to cope with lack of sleep and safe food! what food to take? can i just put in my suitcase? thought id take pretzels, maybe some little cartons of rice milk (can you transport these, know they r long life) some kind of cereal (hotel provides bread for bfast, so should b ok if theres some kind of jam!im still not 100%how safe porridge is for me- although i onlu buy rolled oats, i read somewhere on here there a finer ones?)and my teas, and buy things like bannanas there, but ive never carried food with me in a suitcase before and remember going to the us years ago and you couldnt bring ant in, so i dont know how it works? i guess we'll probably eat out at night, any suggestions for this? can u really order pizza without cheese in italy? i know the italians love their cheese!!
ok extremely long post over- god its not even 8am here in uk and im that stressed!!!
anyone whos done this and can advise pls help!!! or neone who wants to tell me to breathe too!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: travelling, im panicing people! *DELETED* new
      #304546 - 04/11/07 12:54 AM
pattyw72

Reged: 04/11/07

Post deleted by Heather

Re: travelling, im panicing people! new
      #304547 - 04/11/07 02:08 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

wow they sound amazing, not sure about the bundle as i cant do flax (tried a while ago- not good results!!!) and im doing well with food so i dont want mess with suplementss yet! but the bars sound ideal! i am from uk though, i cant see anything about international shipping i wonder if they do something similar in the uk? any heads up ppl? and more feedback for original q!!
p.s yeah i know if i was ill anywhere, might as well b italy!!! looks gorgeous!

Re: travelling, im panicing people! new
      #304555 - 04/11/07 07:45 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Relax!! Everything will be fine.

I went on a cruise in February, so I had all the same questions as you. Airport security might be different, but I called our Transportation Security Administration (who's in charge of all airport security in the US) and made sure everything I was taking with me was okay. We can't carry liquids onboard (unless it's less than 3.5 oz), so soy/rice milk cartons would need to go in checked luggage. We can carry on whatever DRY food we want, though, so I loaded up! I took a big loaf of homemade zucchini bread, a bag of honey glazed snack mix, dry cereal, etc. I also took peanut butter tortillas since I knew I wouldn't be able to eat any snacks provided on the plane. I basically took 1 tablespoon of PB and spread it on a tortilla. I put a couple in a baggie in my purse and that was lunch!

I also carried Acacia and Natural Calm on the plane with me. I was told to make sure they were in their original containers, and I was never questioned. Just in case, I had a letter from my doctor stating that I was bringing various items (food, supplements, etc.) in my carry-on because of a "medical condition" - they don't need to know any more than that! I never had to produce the letter, but it gave me peace of mind knowing that I had it if I was questioned about anything I had with me.

That's my advice; have a great trip!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review