All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
      #304471 - 04/10/07 08:18 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

can someone please tell me what i can do to go to the bathroom every day. i just started taking benefiber and its constipating me even more. last night i took 2 colace and 4 teaspoons of natural calm and today...nothing!! i am suicidally depressed and can't function anymore. this is destroying my life. heather has been absolutely no help to me - when i wrote to her she blew me off and had nothing valuable to say other than "i'm sorry".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD new
      #304474 - 04/10/07 08:47 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi, I haven't read any of your posts so I don't know what you're taking but I'm presuming you're on the diet. The thing that helped me the most is acacia (are you on the maximum dose?) I don't go regularly every day but better than I was.
Make sure you're drinking lots and eating as much insoluble fiber as you can take.
Also there's exercise and especially a few yoga poses you could try like lying flat on your back and bringing your legs up to your tummy.
that's all I think of at the moment but I really hope you find something that helps for you
Godbless
xxx

#304479 - 04/10/07 09:15 AM
jenny833

thanks- acacia didnt do much for me. my doc just gave me Amitzia so im gonna try that now

#304483 - 04/10/07 09:31 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Can you give us an idea of what you eat in a typical day? Are you exercising every day?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304497 - 04/10/07 11:18 AM
jenny833

Morning: egg whites, toast with organic jam, frosted mini wheats or multigrain cereal

Afternoon: turkey sandwich on whole wheat or multigrain, veg doup, pear

evening: baked fish or chicken, potatoes or rice or quinoa, vegetables

#304499 - 04/10/07 12:03 PM
Lisa Marie

It looks like you're getting a good amount of IF... How much Benefiber do you take, and how often? Are those the only three meals you eat every day? You really need to concentrate on eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. Just eating three meals a day would give me C, actually. You need to constantly "feed" your system to keep it moving all day long. For example, have the egg whites and toast first thing in the morning for breakfast. Then, maybe 3 hours later, have the cereal as a mid-morning snack. Three hours later, have your turkey sandwich for lunch. In the middle of the afternoon, have the pear and maybe some pretzels as a snack.

Do you drink LOTS of water and exercise?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

totally agree with the water recommendation!!!!! new
      #304501 - 04/10/07 12:30 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I'm A, not C, but waterconsumption makes a HUGE impact on my bowel health. If I go more than 24hr without the recommended 8glasses of water, I get really C for several days.

#304526 - 04/10/07 03:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Have you tried a magnesium supplement? Laxatives are generally frowned upon, but magnesium is mentioned even here on the site as a supplement that might be helpful. web page

Again, not something I'd recommend for long-term use, but I have had to use a glycerin suppository in the past to get things moving again. It's unpleasant, but it's better than having concrete in your guts, right?

Personally, colace never did squat for me, so I feel your pain there.

Now, in terms of long-term management? You need more IF in your diet. You're off to a good start, but you haven't found your "balance" in terms of how much SF vs. IF you need to keep your guts happy. That's par for the course - it took me well over a year to get there - but trust me when I say that the wait is WORTH IT. Just keep adding more IF, and if you find yourself just too darn full, cut back the SF a little.

Other ideas:
- Smaller meals, more often
- Daily exercise
- Stress and anxiety management, if these are problems for you.
- LOTS of water - and I do mean LOTS. 1.5 oz per pound of body weight

Good luck... I know this stage of the game really sucks, but hang in there!

#304527 - 04/10/07 04:07 PM
jenny833

natural calm is magnesium and it usually takes 2 days for it to work.

i know laxatives are frowned upon, but my GI doc says she has a lot of her patients on senocot just to get them back on track. i used to take aloe and it helped to stabilize me but then i backed off cause of all the talk from heather about how its bad. interestingly enough there are less than 5 articles that i could find that say laxatives are bad. i truly believe they are ok for short term use or every once in a while.

aside from that i need to exercise more and i drink tons of water. i just feel like im running out of options

#304530 - 04/10/07 04:27 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I agree with Atomic Rose, you need to increase your IF since some people need more than others. Fruits and veggies are the best way to get more.
Be careful with the laxatives because your bowels get dependant very quickly.

#304540 - 04/10/07 07:02 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Magnesium has also really helped me with constipation. I take 500 mg before breakfast and 500 before dinner. And I eat 4 small meals a day. Ideally it would be 5, i'm just having trouble fitting them all in!
I used to absolutely rely on suppositories - used them daily, which is no good in the long run and would now automatically throw my bowel into a spasm. But if you are really stuck (pardon the pun), they work like a charm.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#304557 - 04/11/07 07:48 AM
Lisa Marie

Quote:

natural calm is magnesium and it usually takes 2 days for it to work.

I LOVE this stuff. It has been a miracle "cure" for my C. I currently take 3 teaspoons every night.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304584 - 04/11/07 12:17 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

All I can say is, I know how ya feel. You're not alone, even though it seems like everyone else in the universe is pooping.

Have you tried stopping all Fiber supplements? For some, they just constipate you more. You may have slow emptying or a long colon, or a curled up colon.

Maybe experiment by removing the benefiber for a while. Try flax meal or something.

How about trying Miralax? Right now, it's my saving grace, along with Natural Calm.

Let us know if you find something that helps.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304585 - 04/11/07 12:19 PM
Jordy

I don't see any SF food with breakfast or lunch.

--------------------

#304588 - 04/11/07 12:27 PM
Lisa Marie

Quote:

You're not alone, even though it seems like everyone else in the universe is pooping.

I'm sorry, Jordy, but that just cracked me up!!

Are things going any better for you? Did you ever try a suppository or enema?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304601 - 04/11/07 12:58 PM
Jordy

But doesn't it feel like that?

I called the pharmacist and she told me that an enema or a suppository could make things worse, depending on what was going on. She said to call my doc. He suggested I take phospho-soda....that stuff you take before a colonoscopy.

Well, that stuff makes me sick, so I doubled up my Miralax, and Natural Calm, removed 1/2 my dose of cal/mag and slowly the stools is coming out. Very hard and painfully though. But it is some relief, thank the Lord!

Oh, doc also said to take something with senna (like sennokot) to clean me out and give me a clean start.

Thanks for asking! I am so less crabby if I can just poop a little to relieve the pressure!

--------------------

Re: Bread is SF, yes?? new
      #304608 - 04/11/07 01:51 PM
jenny833

Re: Bread is SF, yes?? new
      #304610 - 04/11/07 01:55 PM
Jordy

Not if it is whole wheat or multigrain.

--------------------

I haven't resorted to the sennakot..... new
      #304612 - 04/11/07 01:58 PM
Jordy

....yet!

--------------------

#304613 - 04/11/07 01:59 PM
Lisa Marie

Yes, sometimes it does feel that way. It's so frustrating that the average person doesn't think twice about what they eat and how it will affect whether or not they'll be able to poop tomorrow!

Try doing a search on this board regarding Senna/Sennokot. I remember people mentioning it's a big no-no. I remember trying Sennokot once (at the advice of a doctor), and I don't have anything good to say about it! I think it just made me gassy and crampy. If you're uncomfortable with a suppository or enema, then I guess my advice would be to double up on MoM and NC and see what happens; I HAVE done that before with good results!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304747 - 04/12/07 10:32 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

the only sure fire way to get me going is prune juice. I drink a glass right after my breakfast, (like a piece of toast), Hope this helps!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Prune juice new
      #304753 - 04/12/07 10:40 AM
Jordy

Does it give you gas or bloat or pain? How much do you drink and do you drink it every morning?

I have some in my fridge and I am ready to try the whole bottle....but I'm afraid to try even a small glass. I also have some dried prunes. Have you ever tried those?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2894 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4158

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review