All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Which whole grains do you IBS C'ers eat.......
      #304464 - 04/10/07 07:32 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I have been eating white rice and white bread but have been getting really constipated lately. Can I eat brown rice, maybe an oat bread or flax bread? Also how should I eat them? I make sushi....could I make one roll with white rice and one with brown rice? I'm rambling but I'm really excited about all the help I have been getting! Please let me know and thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Which whole grains do you IBS C'ers eat....... new
      #304466 - 04/10/07 07:40 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Brown rice is the first whole grain I've tried adding in, and I've had absolutely no problem with it. I would do as you suggested: try half brown, half white first and see how you do. Kat also suggested barley to me earlier; if you like soup, you could try a vegetable barley soup for lunch or dinner. Amy's makes a good one!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304551 - 04/11/07 06:21 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't eat wheat because it bloats me. I do eat small portions of white rice but too much constipates me. I eat oatmeal, quinoa, a brown rice bread from Food for Life which is very refined (brown rice itself is a little tough on me) and oat bread (although I've only found one local source for this. But man, is it tasty toasted with almond butter and honey!) Nature's Path makes great breakfast cereals/bars/waffles etc. using Millet, Barley, Amaranth, Kamut, Spelt and other different grains. I am not sure if this brand is only available in Canada. And of course everyone is different - you'll have to try for yourself to see what you can handle.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#304552 - 04/11/07 06:23 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Forgot to addd: Manna is another brand which makes some great breads made purely of sprouted grains. I was eating their sprouted rye for a while, but alas, too high in SF for me. But if you're mainly a C (I'm more of an A) then maybe you can handle it. Is there a reason you don't eat wheat?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#304599 - 04/11/07 12:52 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

brown rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, spelt breads, millet and flax bread.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304621 - 04/11/07 04:10 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I've always done very well with brown rice and products made with brown rice. I also eat buckwheat everyday for breakfast instead of the oatmeal I used to eat. I don't have any problems with that either.

--------------------
Kim

Oh, buckwheat for me, too!-nt new
      #304644 - 04/11/07 06:19 PM
Jordy

--------------------

AVOID OATS new
      #304649 - 04/11/07 06:49 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Oats and oatmeal are very difficult to digest and hence are not good food for IBS-C folks

Re: AVOID OATS new
      #304652 - 04/11/07 08:08 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Please see Heather's post

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=304589&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

doesnt help me new
      #304668 - 04/12/07 05:31 AM
jenny833

just cause heather said it will help, doesnt mean it will

Re: doesnt help me new
      #304669 - 04/12/07 05:46 AM
AndrewIBSC

I agree with you but just because it doesn't help you....it may help other people. If something doesn't work for me I am not going to post something in all CAPS that tells other people to avoid it.

RE: Ok well lets try an experiment new
      #304680 - 04/12/07 06:39 AM
jenny833

cut out oats, berries, granola, beans and bananas and see if it helps you go...i bet it does. these are all known IBS triggers and if you are sensitive to them then they will cause problems. ive had this condition much longer than you and Ive learned quite a bit. give it a shot...couldnt hurt, right?

Re: RE: Ok well lets try an experiment new
      #304701 - 04/12/07 08:12 AM
AndrewIBSC

Jenny I hate to say it but you are wrong. Whatever doctor or naturopath told you those foods are "IBS Triggers" is also wrong. And how do you know you've had this "problem" longer than me. Let's end this now and agree to disagree. I'm doing fine eating those foods. If you don't thats fine don't eat them. Take care!

#304710 - 04/12/07 08:56 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

They are not known IBS triggers. You can keep saying it, but that doesnt make it true. If you have troubles with them im sorry for you, but please do not post comments like that like its a fact.

Bananas, oatmeal and others are SF that means they wont constipate but they also wont get your colon moving. So you need those together with IF otherwise yes you might get constipated after a while but not because of the SF but of the lack of IF.

Re: Dude.... new
      #304752 - 04/12/07 10:40 AM
jenny833

You said you were C so i made a suggestion based on my own experience with these foods. you can choose to listen or ignore me, i really don't care. The fact of the matter is that these foods are difficult to digest and for someone with slow bowel motility/transit time it could be a problem. have you ever looked at oatmeal? its like spackle. there is a compound in oats that is inhibitory to seratonin which in turn will slow down peristalsis. again you can take my word for it or ignore me, i really dont care. im just saying that IF, SB, whatever isnt always the case with IBS. ..everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another, but it couldnt hurt to try...thats ALL i'm getting at.

#304756 - 04/12/07 10:47 AM
Jordy

Well, everyone is different. In this post, Help, please it didn't sound like you were doing fine.

I'm not trying to get into this debate over whether or not these foods are constipating....everyone is different and noone should make blanket statements. I know, for me, for a fact, that bananas and oats are horrible constipators. I can't help it....I wish they weren't.

Okay, I'm done! Everyone has to make the best decisions for themselves.

--------------------

Re: Dude.... new
      #304761 - 04/12/07 11:24 AM
AndrewIBSC

Sounds great...I still disagree but good luck to you.

Re: new
      #304764 - 04/12/07 11:42 AM
jenny833

i was obstinate when this initially happened to me as well and refused to believe that i would have to cut out foods i enjoy, but it's a little thing i like to call reality. either way you'll figure out what works for you in time. good luck

Re: new
      #304774 - 04/12/07 01:52 PM
AndrewIBSC

Listen Jenny-

I tried to be nice but I have to say you are just annoying. I am not obstinate and I have no problem cutting out foods. Let it go.

Re:NYOPE!! new
      #304781 - 04/12/07 02:26 PM
jenny833

You were never nice and you're being equally as annoying, so YOU let it go...S/P!!! I'm just trying to help, if you choose to not listen to my advice that's your perogative but don't come here with an attitude.

Re:seriously andy new
      #304786 - 04/12/07 02:44 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

take a chill pill people are just trying to be helpful here. maybe if you calm down your problems will go away

oatmeal new
      #304800 - 04/12/07 04:18 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am going to try and avoid the arguing below and just say that for me I eat a bowl of oatmeal to help me get things moving when I am C. I use organic quick oats and water. I usually have to go 15-25 minutes after eating it. I am IBS-A though so I am not always C. I don't eat oatmeal when I am D because it would go right through me!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Andrew new
      #304822 - 04/13/07 03:19 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Obviously, you're attentive enough to see what else is printed here. Most of us here have found success with Heather's diet. And then tweaking it for ourselves individually. There are some KNOWN triggers that Heather has stated and then there are ones that may be triggers just for you. By starting out slowly, you'll be able to figure those out. For Jenny, she apparently has problems with oats and bananas. For many of us who have been on the diet for a long time (and have had successes...we're stable)we don't have this problem. I cut both of those things out of my diet when I initially started. I added them back in one at a time without problem.

It'll be awhile before you figure out exactly what works for you and what doesn't. You'll get a lot of advice here. Some good, some not so good. Thankfully, there are loads of people on here so you'll at least be able to get opinions from a wide range of people and then you'll just have to use your best judgement to make up your mind for yourself. Anyone who thinks they're an expert in IBS is kidding themselves. Our doctors don't know everything and we can only be sure of what affects our own bodies because IBS is such an individual disorder.

Good luck to ya!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: Andrew new
      #304823 - 04/13/07 03:25 AM
AndrewIBSC

I totally agree with you Flipada. Thank you and good luck as well. Take care

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4472 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review