All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP!
      #304402 - 04/09/07 03:45 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I am really upset and don't quite know what to do. I have been on Heather's Diet for about a month now and I am extremely constipated. Here is what I do on the typical day please let me know what you think. I take Benefiber 4 times a day, eat according to Heather's diet, and take Natural Calm in the morning. I am so frustrated because I am not going to the bathroom and have all this pent up anxiety. I was thinking about using the Benefiber before each meal and then eating less or no soluble fiber with the meal and more insoluble fiber just so I can get myself going. Does anyone out there think this may work or have any other suggestions? I don't want to quit this diet but unless I see results I will move on. PLEASE HELP. Thanks in adance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP! new
      #304410 - 04/09/07 04:13 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

As anxious as you are to see a great change, it may take up to 6 months. It also depends on if you've gotten rid of ALL trigger foods. That means, not at all...period. It may take us C'ers more time to get stable. It's a delicate balance with the SF and the IF. It takes us a while to get to feeling ready to incorporate more and more IF, which is really necessary.

A year ago I was in really bad shape. While I started feeling better right away on the diet, I was scared to incorporate the IF. Because of that, it took me longer. But I did cut out ALL trigger foods and started very slowly. I can say that I was fairly stable after about 6 months. I still have my days but overall, I'm doing well.

I take more Benefiber now than usual since I'm pregnant and the prenatal vitamins make the C worse. I take 6 tablespoons of Benefiber and 2 Fibercon (it's just easier at lunch time to take pills)and 4 Colace right now. Normally, I would take about 4 tablespoons of Benefiber, 2 Fibercon and no Colace.

Trust in the diet and give it an honest 6 months before giving up. I'm sure there are many others that will attest to this diet being successful but you have to really give it a go.

I know how frustrating it is. I used to go every 3-4 days, I had cramping, painful gas, nausea and fatigue. Now, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm hoping for the best for you.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#304412 - 04/09/07 04:24 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Andrew - I hear your frustration. I am IBS-C and became completely dependent on laxatives to have a BM. My Dr. finally gave me Miralax to take instead of relying on M.O.M. & enemas. I first started on Heather's Diet & Acacia back in August, 2006. As I Sloooowly increased the Acacia & IF, I slooowly decreased the Miralax dosage. It took a good 6 months to get the right balance between the SF & IF. The SF bulked up my BM & the IF keeps it moving through my digestive tract. I also exercise every day. I still have pain from gas & bloating, but I have a BM every morning. And I no longer take the Miralax.
One month is NOT enough time on the diet, you don't say what your IF intake is, and you don't say whether or not you exercise Also,stress is a major factor with constipation.
I know it is very hard to be patient, but it is so worth it in the long run. As my Dr. told me -"It took time for your body to get in the shape it is in, and it will take time for your body to get better."
Maybe if you listed a sample day's meal plan. Everyone could help you with suggestions.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#304413 - 04/09/07 04:25 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You're not alone! It took a good 6 months before I was beginning to feel more in control. I've been on the diet since last August. Still not 100% stable, but really darn close.

You haven't said how much Benefiber and Natural Calm you are taking. I would suggest taking the NC at night; that's when I take it and I have a BM within an hour or so of waking up in the morning. I'm up to 1 tablespoon of it every night. I used to be at a lower dose, but my AD causes some C. Oh well.

You REALLY need to add in more IF. Perhaps give us an example of what you eat in a typical day, and we can give you some advice.

Also: Do you exercise? That is a MUST for C'ers - every day!!

Don't give up

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304414 - 04/09/07 04:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How much IF are you eating in your diet?

#304424 - 04/09/07 05:04 PM
AndrewIBSC

Thank you all so much! Each of you seem like you know what I'm going through...I would like to continue to communicate with each of you. I am very emotional right now and I just binge ate which makes me feel worse. Anyway here is my average day diet:

Morning: 2 Tsp. of Benefiber
2 Egg Beaters
Roasted Carrots
Cooked Zucchini
Mini Bagel
3 Teaspoons of Natural Calm

Snack: Oatmeal

Lunch: 2 Tsp. Benefiber
Low-Fat Turkey Kielbasa
Sauteed Spinach
Pretzels

Snack: Cereal w/ banana

Dinner: 2 Tsp. Benefiber
Chicken Breast
Avocado Rolls w/ White Rice
Small Salad

Before Bed: Herbal Tea w. / 2 Teaspoons Benefiber

Let me know what you think...take care and I really hope we can beat this.

#304456 - 04/10/07 06:24 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi there. I am not stable by any means, so take my advice with a grain of benefiber. But I would say you need more IF in your diet, maybe more fruits and veg with the skins on. If your snack is oatmeal: I microwave frozen berries and add them to my oatmeal, and sprinkle it with ground flaxseed. Also drink tons of liquid - I just keep refilling my thermos of hot herbal tea all day long which helps things move. And yes, excercise is essential. I recently injured my knee and haven't been doing my cardio and am so much more bloated. Best of luck, I know how C can drive you bananas. And personally I prefer FibreSmart to Benefiber - FibreSmart is a blend of SF/IF, whereas I believe Benefiber is pure SF.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#304463 - 04/10/07 07:23 AM
AndrewIBSC

Thanks for all of your help. How and when do you take Fibresmart? BTW I was thinking of traveling to Vancouver this summer. Any areas I should definately visit?

#304465 - 04/10/07 07:38 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hi Andrew,

Adding IF back into your diet is one of the hardest things to do. I was scared of it for so long - still am!! But you definitely need more IF. It sounds like you have an omelet in the morning. Can you try replacing either the carrots or the zucchini with peppers, onion, spinach, or some other IF veggie? What about adding fruit by having a smoothie as a snack? You could blend a banana with some frozen berries; this is always my first meal of the day! With your oatmeal, you could either add some fruit, or try grinding up your favorite nuts (I like almonds) and mixing that in for some more IF.

As I suggested before, you might try switching the Natural Calm to the evening and see if you get better results. I have tried taking it at both times of the day and find that it works better if I take it after dinner. 3 teaspoons is a good dose for NC, but you might try increasing to 4 tsp and see if that helps until you can get your IF intake up.

It sounds like you're still at a fairly low dose of SFS. Keep increasing that along with your IF. I would actually suggest switching to Heather's acacia; it's actually cheaper gram for gram, and you don't have to take as much to get the same amount of SF. Benefiber, Citrucel, etc. always made me feel worse, but that's just my two cents.

Good luck, and get exercising, too!!!! It will get better!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304473 - 04/10/07 08:39 AM
AndrewIBSC

Thank you Lisa! I am going to order the acacia right now! I will also try the berry banana thing you mentioned. I love your positive tone and thank you for it. I feel like I'm constantly taking so I thought I would share something with you. I found this amazing tea from AVEDA that is peppermint, licorice, annise. It tastes awesome and licorice is a natural laxative. Take care and thanks again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review