All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: randomly repsonding about Vancouver new
      #304481 - 04/10/07 09:19 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

Hope you are feeling better....though I can't help you by answering any of your original questions (since I am Ibs-d) I do live in Vancouver, so I figured I'd add my two-cents about that.

Things you should see when in Vancouver...(in no particular order)
-Granville Island, really laid back, right on the water, yummy food, lots of fun little shops.
-If you can try to get up to Whistler. They are doing alot of things to prepare for the 2010 winter olympics so that would be cool. They do alot of great things for the summer too..so it's not just skiing.
-Bike riding around Stanley Park. There are lots of great little places to rent bikes and then you can trek around the seawall..beautiful.
Robson Street, Granville Street, Davie Street, Denman, and West 4th, as well as Gastown are all really cool streets and areas that all have slightly different vibes..Lots of fabulous restaurants and shopping.

Okay I will leave you alone now...however there are still millions of things that could be done...

again hope you are feeling even a little bit better

shannon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP! new
      #304482 - 04/10/07 09:30 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You are welcome; just don't give up! I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those that takes a year or so to stabilize. But mild gas is really the only symptom that bothers me anymore, which is a big improvement in itself! I just need to work on not eating so much - I LOVE food! And IBS desserts are terribly difficult to resist.

This board is really what helped me stick to the diet; I honestly don't think I could have done it without the support I've found here. So keep asking questions!!

Good luck and keep me posted!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304485 - 04/10/07 09:42 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I forgot to mention: make sure you read Heather's post at the top of this board about switching from one SFS to another. One teaspoon of benefiber is NOT the same as one teaspoon of Acacia! I would figure out the acacia-equivalent of your current benefiber dose, and start there. Work up SLOWLY!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304486 - 04/10/07 09:46 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Andrew,
Looking at your sample meal plan, I would say add more IF in the form of vegetables (well cooked) & fruit, Add these slowly or your body will reward you with GAS & BLOATING. When I make a fruit smoothie, I also add ground flaxseed. The ground flaxseed is an excellent source of IF. I tried taking Benefiber, but it was expensive. The Acacia is more economincal, and higher in SF per dose than Benefiber.
Drink lots & lots of water, and exercise daily. Try taking the Natural Calm in the evening before you go to bed.
Be patient, and give it a good six months.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: Vancouver new
      #304500 - 04/10/07 12:27 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I am from there, and I would recommend Chinatown,(very old, authentic)Sun Yat Sen Gardens, Little Italy (Commercial Drive area) more "crunchy" area of Vancouver, UBC grounds (Pacific Spirit Park if you like to hike, mtn bike), Grouse Grind (on Grouse Mtn)(again if you like to hike)In North Vancouver there's the Capilano Suspension Bridge as well...very beautiful. Restaurants: Since Vancouver has a large Asian population, they have many good authentic and/or westernized Thai/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese/Chinese restaurants to choose from...Vegetarian as well! Vij's (Best Indian) off of South Granville St, Bin 941 & 942 (tapas & extensive wine list), I have lots of other suggestions, as Vancouver is one city where you can get GOOD food at all budgets. Yaletown has great restaurants, boutique shopping. Granville Island is good, but busy...there's a year round market that is Euro-inspired, with walking areas and a mini ferry you can take to Davie St. (gay friendly neighborhood)
Whistler is very expensive, so if you are on a budget it may not be a place to spend alot of time in. Let me know if you need more info.../suggestions for hotel, inns, etc and anything else... You can email me too.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: Vancouver new
      #304533 - 04/10/07 04:52 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree with all the above...especially Bin 941 & 942! I now live in Toronto, a city overflowing with restaurants, but boy do I ever miss those two!!! Also, if you love sushi and seafood generally, Vancouver is the place to go. And the beach, and the mountains.... Oh, look, now you've gotten me all homesick.

Have a great trip and yes, you can also email me with any questions. I spent my whole life Vancouver, just moved out east last year.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

HEY ANDREW new
      #304534 - 04/10/07 05:11 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

u might wanna stay away from avocados, oatmeal and banannas and rice as all of these are very binding.

Re: FibreSmart new
      #304539 - 04/10/07 06:56 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Andrew
Fibresmart is a fibre supplement It's a powder that comes with a little plastic scoop - I take one level scoop before bedtime in some water, but as with all things, each person is different in what will work for them. I only mention it because it contains IF along with the SF, which might help you if you are extremely C.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: FibreSmart new
      #304544 - 04/10/07 08:08 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It's also available in capsules.

Re: HEY ANDREW new
      #304565 - 04/11/07 09:54 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Somebody told me that bananas avocados and rice are very binding...is this true. And why are they binding?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review