All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wedding reception
      #304342 - 04/09/07 11:02 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I'm going to a wedding in June,, and I have no idea what I'm gonna eat. The wedding is around 1 or 2 and the reception around 4 until who knows when,,,, what do I do? Do I bring my own food? I have to eat at least every half hour to hour,, so simply not eating will NOT work or else I'll literally get so sick I'll either spend all my time in the bathroom or I'll pass out,,, OR have a panic attack and have to be rushed to the hospital (happened once before,, wasnt pleasant lol) What kinds of foods are generally at a wedding reception? The last wedding I went to was about 10 years ago and I wasn't part of the reception,, I was only 7 so I went somewhere to be babysat LOL. And I didn't have IBS at the time anyway. So,,, what do I do??

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wedding reception new
      #304350 - 04/09/07 11:24 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

I would just bring your own food. I think that the guests usually just hang around in the place where the reception is and have a drink so why not just have a snack too? People will probably think it's funny and wish they'd packed a snack to eat while hanging around waiting while the bride and groom get their photo's taken etc
You'll have so much more fun knowing that you've got safe snacks for throughout the day. If you're staying for the meal ask the bride to tell the hotel about your dietary requirements cos they'll probs be paying enough for the food!
So yeah I would just pack a picnic and have the peace of mind of knowing you're covered
Have fun!

#304355 - 04/09/07 11:38 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I just successfully went to a wedding this past Saturday. I was so nervous....leading up to the wedding I was fully prepared to have to tell my friends that I wouldn't be able to go. However, I went it was fabulous and it was the most "normal" that I have felt in a long time.

Here is what I did to make sure the day was great.

1. I made sure what I wore was completley comfortable and that I felt really good in it. I didn't want to be worried about ibs and how my dress was looking.
2. About two days before the wedding I went back to eating simpler foods. Nothing new, nothing that could cause any problems..It was boring but it made me less anxious.
3. I BROUGHT MY OWN FOOD. I brought a "shannon pack" A container of rice, with a few potatoes and a small peice of salmon. A banana, arrowroot cookies and LOTS OF PEPPERMINT TEA. I ate when everyone else ate, and requested hot water throughout the entire ceremony.

I admit it was hard to watch my friends eat all the fabulous food especially the desert trays...brownies, and chocolate covered strawberries....One person asked about why I had my own food and I said I had severe food sensitivities..and she said she figured it was something like that.

It was a fabulous night, watching one of my best friends get married, I couldn't have imagined letting the ibs get the best of me and having missed that night

Good luck, it is worth it, just be careful and DONT GIVE A SECOND THOUGHT TO WHAT OTHERS MIGHT THINK.....

#304378 - 04/09/07 01:13 PM
oldestofseven

Haha its actually not at a hotel,, its gonna be at a winery. LOL not much fun for me seeing as I'm not 21 and cant even drink due to my IBS anyway,, but still. I'll definitely bring my own food. If I can't bring a meal, I'll at least bring a purse full of luna and granola bars!! Maybe a sandwich,, but at least half the people at the wedding already know about my IBS and know I always bring my own food, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure it'll be tons of fun

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#304380 - 04/09/07 01:16 PM
oldestofseven

Thank you for your help. I'll definitely follow your suggestions. I can easily bring a small container of rice and potatoes, maybe some chicken, and I can usually handle green beans, so I'll be covered. Haha I just don't know HOW I'll bring my food. The only bag I have is a backpack type bag that says MARINES right across the front LOL. Maybe I can get a mini cloth cooler or something,,, And not caring about what people think will NOT be a problem,,, I never do anyway,,, cuz if I did, I'd never leave the house! LOL

--------------------

#304385 - 04/09/07 01:29 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I would just take a little soft-sided cooler and put a small ice pack in it with your food. Maybe someone in the kitchen could heat it up for you? You can hide it under the table as soon as you get to the reception.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304395 - 04/09/07 02:18 PM
oldestofseven

Yea thats what I was thinking. Thank you!

--------------------

#304445 - 04/09/07 07:43 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Whenever I'm stuck somewhere all day (like a workshop where lunch is provided), I always bring along a Luna Bar or two and a sandwich and some tea bags. So I think your plan sounds great! Have fun at the wedding!

#304449 - 04/10/07 04:52 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

The suggestion to bring your own food is ideal. If you are feeling brave, call the bride. Ask what is on the menu and if it is a sit-down meal, ask if they would make you a special plate because of food sensitivities.

For my own wedding I had to special order a diabetic plate for my fil, a special non-diary plate for me, and a no-nuts plate for my DH's grandma. The inn was only too happy to oblige me.

If you find out what they are serving in advance, ie chicken, beef, and what sides, you could just request the sides only - ie roasted potatoes and veggies and have that as your meal.

Good luck!! And have a great time!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#304472 - 04/10/07 08:32 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I agree with the other posts in that you could either call the bride and ask what they are serving, or bring something of your own. My father in law held a big dinner after the wedding rehersal at a huge china grill buffet for my wedding. Everyone went, and I brought my own food. I got a couple of weird looks and stuck up noses, but I just told them that i had a lot of food allergies and sensitivities. No one ever understands when I say 'irritable bowel syndrome' but they all seem to leave me alone when I say its food allergies. Good Luck, and remember to enjoy the reception. No Worries Also, if you need to snack every couple of minutes, may I suggest you pack some saltine crackers or pretzels and keep it with you. I do that sometimes when I am in church. HTH

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review