All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
does anyone here fast for religious reasons?
      #304117 - 04/05/07 02:05 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Please, let's not discuss religion or theology. My church practises fasting before communion. This generally means that on Sundays (or special feast days), I consume nothing until noon-ish. No matter what I eat to break the fast, it always causes gas, sometimes worse symptoms. Can anyone recommend something gentle to break the fast? Should I bring some tea bags with me to church, and have peppermint tea first? Any ideas? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does anyone here fast for religious reasons? new
      #304122 - 04/05/07 02:43 PM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

A few years ago, I used to fast for 12 or more hours one day a week (voluntarily, as a Christian). I don't do it now because going without food even for anything more than three hours makes my tummy angry, and like you, eating then causes problems. I would suggest that you ate very lightly (something you might have for breakfast - or, if you are out and about, your safest SF snack), then had another light snack a couple of hours afterwards. I know how tempting it is to eat way too much when very hungry - and that causes trouble. If peppermint or fennel tea helps, I would take that with you.

#304252 - 04/07/07 01:42 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I don't fast before communion, but I do just happen to usually be very hungry about the time we observe communion. I usually take a little bag of pretzels and munch on them a few minutes before communion. Whether you drink wine or fruit juice, it can still be hard for an IBSer, and having an empty stomach just intensifies the effect. If I eat my pretzels beforehand, I generally have no ill effects from the very small quantity of juice/wine.

#304266 - 04/07/07 07:27 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'd recommend having ginger, peppermint, or fennel tea first. Are you able to have SFS in water while you're fasting? This would provide a good SF cushion before you start eating.

#304311 - 04/09/07 05:41 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

No, water is not permitted.
I think it's going to take a while to recover from this weekend. We had Divine Liturgy on Saturday morning, so I recieved the Eucharist, then followed by the antidoron, then fasted until the Pascha service, which runs from 11:30pm Saturday until about 2:30am Sunday. Then we had a huge meal at 2:30am. While I only brought IBS-friendly foods to the Agape meal, the fasting and late night has done a number on my tummy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review